What to Reduce Bing Eating? This May Help. (Length Alert)

Options
I know. I use "what" instead of "want.":sad: :sad: :sad:

I found this article and it has a couple good idea about increasing willpower. We have all wished we had more at some point. My favorite is number 2.

Four Ways to Reduce Food Cravings
In a world where you can inhale half your daily allotment of calories as you turn left out of the drive-thru, often the only thing standing between you and a few extra chins is willpower—that oh-so—elusive ability to halt the urge to indulge.

If your powers of resistance are lacking, you'll be psyched to hear this: Research shows that willpower is a kind of mental muscle, and like any muscle, it can get stronger. "We now know that the capacity for self-control can be increased," says Roy Baumeister, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at Florida State University who studies the subject.

These four tactics target the most common resolve busters. Put them into practice, and pretty soon that cheesy Sicilian slice or glazed doughnut will be no match for your mental strength.

Tactic 1: Eat Smaller More Frequent Meals
What it targets: Out-of-control hunger
Why it works:Going too long without eating makes your blood sugar plummet. That leaves you with a raging appetite that can overpower your best intentions to eat well. If you have small meals every three to five hours, your blood sugar stays stable, preventing the wallop of a sugar low that will leave you vulnerable to overeating, says Lisa Jones, R.D., of LaSalle University.

Your blood-sugar levels do more than affect how hungry you get; they're also directly connected to willpower. In lab studies, people's blood-sugar levels dropped when they performed self-control tasks (such as restraining their facial expressions); then, when asked to attempt another test of resolve, they fared worse. Raising blood glucose with sugar-sweetened drinks restored the subjects' lost willpower. "Mental tasks, such as self-control or concentration, require the same energy your body runs on," explains Baumeister, who conducted the studies. "So it will be harder to exert willpower if you haven't had enough to eat."

Your thighs won't take too kindly to your downing sugary drinks, so reach for snacks that mix carbs with lean protein and a bit of healthy fat (the kind found in nuts, olive oil, and fish) to keep your blood sugar on an even keel. Some examples: low-fat yogurt with berries, or a handful of almonds with an apple.

Tactic 2: Eat With Your Other Hand
What it targets:Distraction
Why it works: Picking up a fork with the hand you don't usually use automatically slows you down and makes you focus on your meal, two things that have been proven to aid weight loss. Studies have shown that with regular practice, this kind of switcheroo can also increase your overall willpower. Baumeister found that people whose resolve was drained by one test—say, resisting a plate of cookies in favor of vegetables—gave up more quickly on consecutive tests, such as trying to solve an unsolvable puzzle.

In one of his studies, when subjects spent several weeks practicing small acts of self-control, such as using their nondominant hand to brush their teeth or operate a computer mouse, they worked longer on that same puzzle.

"By practicing their ability to override one specific impulse, they increased their overall capacity for resisting impulses," Baumeister says. The subjects in this study saw progress within three weeks of daily activity. Of course, your results will depend on how often you practice and whether you keep it up over time—it's possible that, like your abs, your gray matter can turn flabby if you don't keep working it out regularly.

Tactic 3: Weigh Yourself Regularly
What it targets: Losing sight of your goal
Why it works: Few things keep your weight-loss goal front and center better than seeing those big glowing numbers on the scale. Regular weigh-ins also make it easier to notice extra pounds creeping on, so you can slash and burn immediately. In fact, when researchers at the University of Minnesota analyzed more than 1,800 people who successfully shed pounds in weight-loss programs, they found that about 40 percent weighed themselves daily or weekly. And the more frequently they stepped on the scale, the more they lost: 12 pounds on average for daily weighers, compared with six for weekly weighers. (Scale shunners, meanwhile, gained an average of five pounds.)

But remember: "Don't get discouraged if the numbers aren't always the ones you want to see. Your clothing, the time of day, and how much water you're retaining affect weight," Jones says. "Contestants on reality shows might drop 11 pounds a week, but for a normal woman, one to two is more realistic." To improve your odds of slimming down, break your goal weight into several smaller targets—first aim for five pounds, then after you hit that, go for another five. A study at the College of Public Health at the University of Iowa found that the more frequent and specific your weight-loss objectives, the better your chances of sticking to them. And achieving one goal will motivate you to hang on for the next one—something we've all experienced and that research has shown to be true.

Tactic 4: Lift Your Spirits
What it targets: Emotional eating
Why it works: It's estimated that when people overeat, nearly 75 percent of the time it's because they're feeling blue. It stands to reason that lifting your spirits might also help you take your mind off munching, and a study published in a 2007 issue of the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology backs this up. Researchers first depleted people's reserves of willpower by asking them to eat only radishes while left alone in a room filled with cookies and chocolate. Next, some of the volunteers watched a short comedy video; others viewed an educational film. Then the entire group was asked to perform a mental task. Guess who did better.

The results show that even small doses of pleasant emotions can quickly renew your ability to say no. So the next time you're facing down temptation, surf over to theonion.com or buy yourself that going-out top you've been eyeing. The good feelings might be temporary, but they will last long enough to get you safely past that hot-fudge sundae.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/reduce-food-cravings?cm_mmc=MSNBC-_-End of Overeating Top 10-_-Slideshow-_-How to resist temptation 2<br>

Replies

• Beachcomer
    Beachcomer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Great tips. Thankyou very much.
    Beachcomer
  • chelseamckell
    chelseamckell Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This really was a great article - and very fascinating - esp. the part about willpower!
  • emom21
    emom21 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm really struggling with emotional eating, and the article was helpful. Especially the part about eating with your non-dominant hand! :smile:
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    This was VERY helpful. It helps me a lot to know that binge-eating is something that I have to control with my own mind. The fact that it says it is a mental muscle just urges me to strengthen that muscle-- along with the rest of my muscles!
  • chelseamckell
    chelseamckell Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    awesome article! I'm totally going to start eating w/ my left hand!