340 lb'ers, calorie allowance?

Options
I am at 339lb now, I am in a dilema as to how many calories to allow a day, MFP says 2000, but this seems like a hell of a lot!! I have looked on another website, and it says, for my age, weigh and height, to consume 1700 - 1800 cals... I put myself down to 1500 for a few days, thinking it would give my loss a boost, but seems to have no effect, so what to do, is my dilema.

Has anyone been, or is now 340lb, if so how many calories do you consume / allow, and do you eat your exercise calories....

HELP!!!

:grumble:
:mad:
:huh:

Replies

• DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your BMR yet?
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    2000 sounds right .... i get 1710 and im at 212lbs but im a man we get more :(
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    2,220 calories/day, thats my BMR.
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    I started my journey at 352 pounds. I know I was more then that, but that was the first time I actually stepped on the scale. When I started my journey I ate around 1300 calories a day, and worked out 5 times per week. I have lost almost 100 pounds now, and have increased my calorie to 1500 a day, and work out 3-4 times per week. I still see a very steady weight loss. I think you need to focus on what you're eating not the calories so much. Recently I switched all my food to fresh veggies, fruit, lean meat, all natural peanut butter, and cut out any boxed stuff, cereal bars, etc, and had a 4.5 lbs weight loass that week! I eat apples and bananas all day everyday, and enjoy sweet potatos (they really fill you up!) I haven't looked at your diary to see what you eat, so if it isn't public could you change it, and I'll check it out?! Are you workin gout at all?
  • samandlucysmum
    Options

I am guessing by your loss ticker, you were near 300lb at start, did your recommended allowance allow you to lose a steady amount of weight? How much exercise did you do, and did you eat back those calories?
  • hardten2lose
    hardten2lose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You have to SLOWLY come down. 2000 is right. If you starve yourself with less, your body is going to freak out. As you lose weight, you'll need less calories. Reassess your caloric need every time you lose 10% of your weight. So, when you lose 30 lbs., then see how many calories you should eat. SLOWLY come down!!! Can't stress that enough for someone of your size. It's a lifestyle change--not a race or quick fix. Have patience. The weight will still come off at 2000 for you!

GREAT JOB MAKING A COMMITMENT TO YOUR HEALTH!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I am at 335 right now and 2080 a day and have been losing steadily, remember you can not do this fast. Take what MFP tells you and stick with it. It does work. If you need some positive support send me a friend request.
  • Snjlowe
    Snjlowe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Go with close to what mfp suggests. I started 255 and it had me on 1880 calories. I lost 14 lbs the first month with no exercise. Then I got a little over zealous and cut my calories on my own down to 1600. Lost nothing for 2 weeks...went back to the 1880 and lost 2lbs in a week. I think my body went into starvation mode by cutting down too much too fast. I almost always am a little under my calories though. Hope this helps :)
  • lizzieollie
    Options
    I am 328lbs and I get 1640 calories. I try not to eat my exercise calories. I know my sister is 350 and she gets over 2000, she does not eat all her calories. If I leave 100 calories because I am not hungry, that seems to work fine with me. I loose more weight if I dont eat my exercise calories and I dont feel starving.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    I started my journey at 352 pounds. I know I was more then that, but that was the first time I actually stepped on the scale. When I started my journey I ate around 1300 calories a day, and worked out 5 times per week. I have lost almost 100 pounds now, and have increased my calorie to 1500 a day, and work out 3-4 times per week. I still see a very steady weight loss. I think you need to focus on what you're eating not the calories so much. Recently I switched all my food to fresh veggies, fruit, lean meat, all natural peanut butter, and cut out any boxed stuff, cereal bars, etc, and had a 4.5 lbs weight loass that week! I eat apples and bananas all day everyday, and enjoy sweet potatos (they really fill you up!) I haven't looked at your diary to see what you eat, so if it isn't public could you change it, and I'll check it out?! Are you workin gout at all?

I walk on average, 3 times a week, for 2 hours, sometimes an extra 2 hours at the weekend.
    Did you not get hungry on 1300 cals? What sort of thing did you eat? did you eat back your exercise cals?
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Mine says 1900. I usually eat between 1500 and 1800 and if I go to the gym I eat some of it back.
  • charlieduc
    charlieduc Posts: 108
    Options
    I started at 303 and MFP set my goal at 1560. You may need to set your activity level to sedentary if you haven't already. It also depends on your weekly goal. You do not want to sabotage yourself by eating too few calories.
  • ahoov72
    ahoov72 Posts: 20
    Options
    I try to stay between 1500 and 1800 calories a day and I weigh more than you,its working so far
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hdrider8968
    Options
    I'm now at 348lbs, down 52lbs using MFP. I put my calories at 1800, and yes I eat some on most days of my exercise burned calories. But my job on my feet most of the day constantly moving. Add me as a friend we can do this together.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Go with close to what mfp suggests. I started 255 and it had me on 1880 calories. I lost 14 lbs the first month with no exercise. Then I got a little over zealous and cut my calories on my own down to 1600. Lost nothing for 2 weeks...went back to the 1880 and lost 2lbs in a week. I think my body went into starvation mode by cutting down too much too fast. I almost always am a little under my calories though. Hope this helps :)

I guess this is what the BMR is all about.
  • meri_dian
    meri_dian Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    it really depends on your height... AND I found it best to do calculations at a number of different online calculators. They are all different. I averaged them.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 29 yrs old, and my info is set to "sedentary", 2 lbs a week, with 3 workouts a week. When I was at 340, I was at 1790 cals.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

I am guessing by your loss ticker, you were near 300lb at start, did your recommended allowance allow you to lose a steady amount of weight? How much exercise did you do, and did you eat back those calories?
    i exercised ALOT , and ate back few of the calories remember eating 2000 and exercising 1000 nets 1000 calories, its NOT the same as only eating 1,000 calories
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was 366 at my heaviest and I think my old daily goal was 2500 at a #/week loss. I pretty much ignored it an never got more than 1500 and could not lose weight efficiently, so I started eating more. Now I'm down 89 lbs (277 was my last weigh in) and my daily goal is 2070. I always try to eat 1800 at least. Small meals help a LOT!