Being Obese

Options
It is funny how I have lost a total of 50 pounds and 45 pounds using MFP since 11/09/2011. My BMI has gone from 41.7 to 35.9 and I am still obese. I will need to lose another 46.1 pounds to just no longer be obese. That will put me down to 233.7 pounds. Is anyone else having these same issues?

Replies

• jbcharles
    jbcharles Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are half way on the journey to "not obese anymore." I'd say that is great progress in only four months!
  • treetop57
    Options
    how tall are you?

Algebra and the numbers he gave us tells me that he's around 6'2". Am I close, Belgianal?
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?

treetop beat me to it... based on the numbers said, somewhere between 6'1" and 6'2" is my guess.
  • belgianal
    belgianal Posts: 29
    Options
    That is correct I am 6'2". I am not really discouraged, I was just amazed how for I have come and how far I still have to go.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    That is correct I am 6'2". I am not really discouraged, I was just amazed how for I have come and how far I still have to go.

before I started really getting into fitness and bodybuilding, I would scoff at the idea that I "should" weigh 180 something max. I had been over 200lbs since I was 12,(5'11" at that time) and didnt ever see myself being a lightweight like that.
    Now that I know more about it.... I still would like to say a number that starts with a 2, but I now realize thats a hell of alot of muscle to put on.. lol.
  • treetop57
    Options
    I am not really discouraged, I was just amazed how for I have come and how far I still have to go.

Glad to hear it! I guess it was the word "issues" in the original post that made me think you were feeling that things were going slowly. 10 lbs a month is amazingly fast and a great start.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't a fair way to assess weight. My husband has what I'd call a thicker build -- thick limbs, and built to look solid, not slender. If he got down to the weight that the BMI scale says he should, he would just look weird. I wouldn't be too bent out of shape over BMI but rather concentrate on how healthy you are and whether you look healthy as well!
  • belgianal
    belgianal Posts: 29
    Options
    The other thing that I did not state was that when I was at 300 pounds that I was at 29% BF. Most weeks since November I have been averaging around 8 hours of cardio and since January 1 I have been doing strength training. Crunch the numbers and you can see that I am never going to be a light weight. That is OK Everything else is coming down, I have lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar, I have lost a ton of inches.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    The other thing that I did not state was that when I was at 300 pounds that I was at 29% BF. Most weeks since November I have been averaging around 8 hours of cardio and since January 1 I have been doing strength training. Crunch the numbers and you can see that I am never going to be a light weight. That is OK Everything else is coming down, I have lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar, I have lost a ton of inches.

You could become a lightweight if thats what you want..
    just playing with numbers here.
    300*.29 = 87lbs of BF
    300-87=213 non-bf
    1/3 loss = 140 non-bf
    15%bf @ 140lean = a weight of 161.

personally though, id make sure i lifted enough to keep that muscle.
    do it like this guy did.... Aug of 2010 - 330 lbs... now look at him.
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/TelusLob/
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Progress is progress. You may still have a long way to go as you say, but what's important is how far you've come.

I will comment on the never being a light weight. I would suggest you focus on mini goals, and when you reach them reassess, rather than trying to figure out what you can do right now. I bet you'd be surprised what you're capable of.

Good luck man!