New to this, Have Hypothyroidism.

Options
I just joined this site today and hopefully this will work out for me. Have had a lot of diet failure in the past due to my condition. I have hypothyroidism so if anyone has any suggestions on what might help me lose weight, I would greatly appreciate hearing it! =) Thanks! And a good luck to all of you as well.

Replies

• LosinitLBS
    LosinitLBS Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just joined too, and have been hypothyroid for almost 20 years. Lost weight for about 3 years 6 years ago, but can't really determine how/why. Hoping this works for both of us.
  • jacquirich
    jacquirich Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am new to this too, though have been on a diet for 6 weeks and so far lost 21lbs, feeling a bit low at moment because despite being very good have gained 2 lb this week
  • roselancaster22
    Options
    Hi! I just joined today! Check out low glycemic foods to help with hypothyroid (and look at the glycemic load not just the glycemic index #). Nice "meeting" you!
    ~Rose
  • loser0108
    loser0108 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Anyone feel free to add me also lol.
  • joan2000
    joan2000 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism almost 8 years ago (right after I had my youngest son). I lost 80+ pounds by exercising, cutting out all sodas (I just drink water), and cutting out all meat except for fish. You can do this!
  • BelMckenzie
    BelMckenzie Posts: 249
    Options
    My key right now is correct diet and exercise. I have cut out processed foods and eat a lot more healthy foods.
  • Vanessa1022
    Options
    Thank you Yesthistime! I have joined a few groups! It's nice to talk to people who understand. :smile:
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism as well. You all can feel free to add me! I love supporting people and making new friends :)
  • Vanessa1022
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was undiagnosed/untreated for about 3 years. I pretty much had to beg my doctor to even test me for it. I am now taking Synthroid 50mcg. Recently got labs done and they said my levels were normal and that I was on the right dose. But I still feel so tired and have no energy. I have a friend that has it and she said once she got on the right dose she felt so much better. Is it normal for me to feel like this? My doctor can never give me a straight answer. I would exercise a lot more but I am always so tired. =(

I am going to try all of the suggestions. Thank you all very much! :happy:
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It is totally normal to feel tired, even when being treated for Hypothyroidism. It really makes no sense to me. I have been on Synthroid since I've been 11 (I'm 20 now). I've been at good levels with symptoms, good levels with none, high levels with no symptoms, high levels with. It's crazy how much your thyroid can affect every single facet of your life. My level right now is in the 20's- which is craaazy high, and I probably need to find a better doctor. But I am determined to make this happen. With the right diet and exercise I am losing weight......s l o w l y.

You could try supplementing your diet with selenium. It can be found in the vitamin isle, and it's something that your thyroid would normally produce more of, so it's not a foreign thing to our bodies, just something that's lacking in us and can be added naturally. (It's also found in many foods.) I've heard the same thing about coconut oil, but it always gave me digestive issues so I stay away.

I wish you the best....I have found that it's all about fine tuning my calorie level to accomadate my thyroid (and that doesn't neccessarily mean eating less...I personally lose best when I am netting 1,200 calories.)

The key is optimizing your body...so working out not only will help burn fat, but for us espeically it's key to getting that metabolism up from it's slumber. <-- lol

Just remember, you start where you start and you do what you need to do to get fit.

Hope at least a smidge of that helped you. :)