Marathon Runners

Options
So BIG HUGGGGE DREAM:

My company holds a marathon and 1/2 marathon every year. This year its in Great Cayman.

How long do YOU GUYS think it takes to become fit enough to run a marathon?

Currently, I have a broken ankle... Big issue, BUT I should be good to go in ATMOST 2 months. This marathon is in December. Which would be 8 months (not counting 2 to heal) of getting trained up.

About me:
I am not in the best of shape currently. Im 200#'s, looking to really slim down. Im not looking to WIN a marathon just run one. I was active until I broke the ankle, and its not a bad break. 3 days after and im hobbling around with an aircast. Doctor says I should be fine. In 2 months before I can go to the gym I HOPE to be around 180 or less with my weight. Im 19, young, and active.

What do you guys think??

Replies

• kentmanion
    kentmanion Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You should have no problem getting ready. I started training in September for my first half marathon and I ran it October 29th. Then I just kept going and will be running my first marathon this Sunday March 4th. Once you heal, find a training schedule and stick with it. I strongly suggest checking out Jeff Galloway's method of run/walk intervals. Keeps you from getting injured and makes the training alot easier on your body without losing time!

Good Luck!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Google it. How to Run A Marathon.

But, usually I think they rec about 3 months training, if you already run about 5 miles regularly.

You should be able to do it. It's more mind over matter. Of course, a marathon is trecherous. Coming off a broken ankle, I wouldn't do it. Maybe do the half, and see how that goes first.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I went from only being able to run about 3 miles at a time to running a half marathon in about 3 months of training. Google the Hal Higdon method of 1/2 or full marathon training. Very helpful.
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I like Hal Higdon's training for 1/2 marathon and marathon's. He gives you the different levels, (beginer, advanced etc.) Follow what suits you. I have used his 1/2 marathon training for beginners and thought it was a good program.

GOOD LUCK....if you put your mind to it YOU CAN DO IT and you'll love the feeling at the finish line!!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Last year I started training to run a full but ended up running the half. I was SO happy I did the half. It was enjoyable, hard but not too much. I would say run a half before you do a full. BUT either way I think you can do it in the amount of time that you have. GO girl!
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it! My goal is the OKC Memorial Marathon in 2013. I would be running the 5k this year but will be flying to a conference the day of the race, so had to choose a different race.

I am starting small. Running a 5k first and working my way up. Signing up for races between now and then will help keep my motivation up and encourage me to increase the running milage.

Hal Higdon has some good running programs.

Good Luck!
  • dannyweatherly
    Options
    What a strange coincidence. A good friend of mine has won the Cayman Marathon twice and finished second this past year! He and his wife travel down every year to run it. They say it is one of the best races in the world!
    As far as how long it takes to prepare to run a marathon, this time frame is doable. I agree with kentmanion, Galloway is a good training plan. For my first marathon I used the beginner Hal Higdon plan, and it worked really well.
    Good Luck!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I think that is enough time. Do some research, there are a lot of plans out there. Lay out a plan for the entire 8 months, and don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. You can do amazing things if you remain focused and work at it. And the feeling of accomplishment is incredible.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think that is enough time. Do some research, there are a lot of plans out there. Lay out a plan for the entire 8 months, and don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. You can do amazing things if you remain focused and work at it. And the feeling of accomplishment is incredible.
    I agree - but the most important part is to stick to the plan, and TRAIN. I would suggest after you heal, trying a C25k program. That would get you at least doing 1 race (if you haven't before) and provide a nice base before starting a half-marathon program. personally, I'd encourage to try the half- before a full. But that all comes down to what you want to accomplish
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    thank you guys so much. Great info. Im starting to look up marathon plans now. I figure this ankle sets me back a little... BUT I am determined. The next two months will be working ALOT on diet and shedding weight, then when my ankle is recovered will be training. I found a 32 week training, which is perfect, 8 months.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    do you have a place where you can swim while you recover or is that out of the question? that would help you build up some stamina and endurance to get things started, as well as drop a few pounds. have you asked your doctor about running that far so soon? just because you can do something doesn't mean it is what is best for you. if you get the green light and you're feeling up to it, i'd say go for it, but don't be afraid to run the half. it's still an awesome accomplishment! best wishes!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    log on to active.com and subscribe to their newsletters!!! they give awesome advice! and they let you know about runs in your area!
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    you can do it, especially since you don't have to win!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If that 32 week training plan is Jeff Galloway's I think you should choose a different one. Galloway is awesome and makes some excellent points about the advantages of run-walk-run. However, he also only advocates running 3 days a week and training to 26 miles. Also, the weekday mileage is incredibly low. Too low, I think, to support such long runs.

I think you would do better to spend 4 months healing and then building up your running base and fitness. Then look at something like Higdon. He has 4 days a week of running and spreads your mileage out much more effectively. If you train to run a little longer during the week, your long runs won't be a death march.

All canned plans are different and some work well for some while not for others. I think the Galloway plan trains you to barely slog through the race while putting you at a high risk of injury. Higdon does better, IMO, of making sure you are able to hold your head up at the end.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I seriously went from being a tad overweight AND a drinker AND a smoker AND maybe someone who did some other naughty things AND I trained for a marathon from zero to marathon completion in 6 months.

Oh, AND I trained with a professional marathon runner/trainer AND we followed Galloway AND it was awesome!