Think I have lost my umph

Options
Over the past year I have seen my weight raise 10-15lbs, even though I kept eating under my calories and continued to workout alot. I have tried many things in this year trying to fix whatever happened. Nothing has worked long term. Sure not eating dinner helped me lose some weight but I couldnt keep that up for longer than 2 weeks, same with the low carb thing. I even tried the low carb cycling but all i saw was that I was so deprived of carbs that on my carb load day I would go NUTS and eat just about everything in the house.

Over the past couple months I have noticed that I am sooooo hungry all the time and im not hungry for good foods. I want chocolate, ice cream, chips and bread. I used to love snacking on bell peppers but now the taste of them makes me want to puke.

I am so scared that I have completely lost control. I am tired all the time and most days dread my workouts. I keep things mixed up so its not that I am bored, I almost feel like I just want to lay in bed all day. Its almost like Im depressed but I know its not clinically depressed. I basically just feel like I have given all I have and its not working, I keep gainng weight and I have become so upset with it that sometimes I find myself in tears about it.

Please tell me that someone else has gone through this and made it out ok and on top, and what did you do to get out of this funk?

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling too. I haven't gained back but after 8 months of doing so well, I find myself telling myself that it is okay to have this or that more and more. As a result, I've hovered around the same weight for 3 1/2 months now. I'm frustrated.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am athletic 6'2" and 2 years ago at this time I was 195. I just weighed myself and I am at 215. : (
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Up your calories. If you don't have enough fuel, you don't have enough energy to get through your day or work out. You are consistently 500 calories or more under your goal and you are working out and not eating your workout calories. On a day like yesterday, you are netting under 600 calories. That is not enough, and your metabolism will slow down to conserve as much energy as possible. On Monday do you know how much you netted? -1 calorie. You burned more than you ate. Your body can't survive like that.
  • vegasvictim
    Options
    give me your email and Ill send you a list of recipes that helped me, not be hungry and get what I needed. Ofcourse water helps... I like the PDworkman post below
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any measurements? At your height, you need to carry a little extra, especially if it is mostly muscle. Find out your body fat percentage. I bet you are within normal limits.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doping your cardio down to very little and, if you don't already, adopt a heavy weight lifting routine (such as the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Stonglifts 5x5). You may also want to try eating maintenance calories for 3-4 weeks while doing this to build your metabolism back up.
  • jamie31
    Options
    I would suggest doping your cardio down to very little and if you don't already adopt a heavy weight lifting routine. You may also want to try eating maintenance calories for 3-4 weeks while doing this to build your metabolism back up.

I have been lifting heavy. To the point where I am at failure by the 8th rep. I do this 3 days a week.

Wouldnt dropping some cardio mean that without dropping my calories I will keep gainng? I workout twice a day ( before work and after work).
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I would make a trip to my doctor. I started doing the same thing. When I had a check up with my doctor, they said a constant hunger can be a sign of high insulin levels. We did blood work and it came back that I had metabolic syndrome and polycycstic ovarian syndrome. I'm so glad I did the blood work because with meds to control my insulin levels I no longer feel the constant hunger or the states of panic where I need to shove food down my neck as fast as I can. It helped me out. Not saying that is why you feel that way because you can feel that way for many reason. It can't hurt to check in with a doctor every now and then. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doping your cardio down to very little and if you don't already adopt a heavy weight lifting routine. You may also want to try eating maintenance calories for 3-4 weeks while doing this to build your metabolism back up.

I have been lifting heavy. To the point where I am at failure by the 8th rep. I do this 3 days a week.

Wouldnt dropping some cardio mean that without dropping my calories I will keep gainng? I workout twice a day ( before work and after work).

maybe at first until your metabolism returns to normal. You shouldn't be gaining eating less then maintenance plus eating back exercise cals unless:
    -You are over estimating your calorie burn
    -Under estimating your calories eaten
    -Have a metabolic issue (hormones or otherwise)
    -MFP has miscalculated your actual BMR ( If you BMR is lower then MFP thinks your maintenance cals will be too high)
    -Your activity level is not correct (If you chose a higher activity level or included exercise in it and still log exercise separately, which would double count those calories)
  • kelfromhell
    kelfromhell Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How often do you work out twice a day? It seems a bit excessive and you may need more calories. I occasionally work out twice, but sometimes I opt for one longer workout. Also, I find if I eat too many carbs I crave more carbs.....I have to be very careful about bready stuff. :) Good luck, it will come back. I lose my umph occasionally, but I actually miss my workouts. My morning swims are like meditation, my evening cardio kick with friends then out for a healthy dinner or walk or bikeride....... Give yourself some slack occasionally.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    from what you said it sounds like your "diet" hasn't been very balanced. it sounds like you are all over the place and I think you need to start from scratch. Start with the basics which is getting your nutrition in check. load up on greens. dark leafy greens have a lot of nutrients INCLUDING protein. people over emphasize carbs and protein. if you just eat a balanced diet full of dark leafy greens, veg, fruits and the occasional meat source you will be fine. As far as exercise goes don't over do it. work out a few times a week for 30-45 minutes and see how you do. all the cravings you have been having and the reason you are tired and depressed is because you are not getting the nutrients you body needs. Trust me I've been there!
  • swimmerkoopman
    Options
    I've been there and I hear yuh. I'm 48 and a borderline type II so I know all about the cravings and over eating. A couple of things I have done to moderate it are:

1. I eat two snacks a day, usually an apple around 10:30 and again at 3:30. I 'm finishing one as I type.
    2. I like to get in a swim every morning for 30-60 minutes. I find if I miss this for a week or two my cravings come back.

Finally, I used to go like the ****ens from sun up to about 2 or 3 in the afternoon before I would eat. That's bad news. Eat your meals and snacks on time.
  • pammypooh36
    Options
    I have been where you are twice. I did weight watchers and lost over 30 pds. I stopped n gained it all back plus more. I then joined a gym n lost about forty some pds. Only to stop n gain alpdsl back plus more. After losing weig ht both times, I weighed around 150 . I am now starting over at 210 pds :( Sometimes we have to gain a little to jumpstart our diets back up. GOOD luck to u :)
  • swimmerkoopman
    Options
    I agree! This isn't high school football! Burning calories down to next to nill should expect to create deep food cravings.

Ease up on the workout.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    you have to fuel your body for your workouts. any deficit above about 500 cals youre going to put your body in starvation mode and it is going to hold on to everything you eat. Feel free to add me and I can help you further
  • jamie31
    Options

maybe at first until your metabolism returns to normal. You shouldn't be gaining eating less then maintenance plus eating back exercise cals unless:
    -You are over estimating your calorie burn
    -Under estimating your calories eaten
    -Have a metabolic issue (hormones or otherwise)
    -MFP has miscalculated your actual BMR ( If you BMR is lower then MFP thinks your maintenance cals will be too high)
    -Your activity level is not correct (If you chose a higher activity level or included exercise in it and still log exercise separately, which would double count those calories)

I use a polar ft7 hrm to calculate calories burned. As for the other reasons, i am about 99% sure that calorie intake is correct. I have my blood testing about 8 months ago for all kinds of things ( high cortisol, sugar, hormones, thyroid ect) everything came back normal. I have my activity level set for sedentary in MFP.

Is my actual BMR is wrong whats the best way to figure that out?
  • jamie31
    Options
    How often do you work out twice a day? It seems a bit excessive and you may need more calories. I occasionally work out twice, but sometimes I opt for one longer workout. Also, I find if I eat too many carbs I crave more carbs.....I have to be very careful about bready stuff. :) Good luck, it will come back. I lose my umph occasionally, but I actually miss my workouts. My morning swims are like meditation, my evening cardio kick with friends then out for a healthy dinner or walk or bikeride....... Give yourself some slack occasionally.
    I work out 2 times a day 6 times a week. Each workout is at least 45-60 minutes
  • jamie31
    Options
    Have you taken any measurements? At your height, you need to carry a little extra, especially if it is mostly muscle. Find out your body fat percentage. I bet you are within normal limits.

Yea I have taken measurements and they are all up. Size 10 jeans give me a muffin top, real snug in the thighs and shirts are tighter.