Veg.. in need.

Options
My fiance--whom I obviously love--loves me to death too, but hates my diet. HATES.
With a capital HATES.

I was raised vegetarian but I know I never ate very healthily: lots of carbs where I should have been having nutrient-rich things like, you know, real food, and lots of veg-friendly side-dishes-turned-meals (tabouli salad, falafels, soups). I've been more or less hooked on carbs all my life because we didn't really substitute anything except occasional tofu or tempeh for meat in our meals, but rather ate more pasta or bread or eggplant parmesan or mac-and-cheese-casseroles to fill our tummies.

My mother became veg for animal rights and environmentalist reasons. She's unhealthy - high BP, high cholesterol, high weight. I'm generally "ok," and sometimes have LOW blood sugar/low BP, but definitely need to work on weight/fitness level/energy and that's why I'm here. I've been doing pretty well keeping track of calories and even trying to work off some of those extras. I'm getting in the habit of really exercising almost every day. I've been trying to learn more about nutrition. etc. However, I'm finding that I'm EXHAUSTED a lot of the time when I wake up early to go to the gym, or that I'm feeling drained (because I'm cutting out sugars and carbs - yes, I still eat both, but in much more moderate/regulated quantity), or that I need to grab coffee at 2pm, or like yesterday, that I need to fall asleep at 9:30. It's very problematic.

My fiance used to work out a lot, and in fact, used to bodybuild a bit. He doesn't anymore, but he does remember what he did that worked and does remember not ever being as tired as I am. He blames it on a lack of meat in my diet and is visibly upset that I'm not eating any, because even though I'm eating proteins, the foods I'm ingesting digest quickly and don't metabolize the same way as would the breakdown of animal protein. While the "he hates my diet" thing is a larger issue than should be tackled on an MFP post, I'm in need of some SERIOUS advice about how to better my diet - not to appease him, but because a part of me knows he's right. I'm a smart cookie, and it makes sense that more complex proteins will take longer to digest and provide more lasting nutritional value. I just don't know enough about food to know how to properly substitute instead of replace with carbs.

My diary is currently open to friends, but for the sake of this thread I'm making it temporarily public. I will openly admit that Wednesday was a BAD dinner day for me and that today I had an almost equally bad lunch (though I didn't realize it at the time). I will take criticisms to heart, but I'm really looking more for suggestions.

Thanks!

Replies

• jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    (bump... just because stuff gets lost easily here!)
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Quick look at your diary...we all have tough days. I hear you; I had to battle my family and their concern with my nutrition. Next time you make nachos...add some black beans for protein maybe? Or some Boca crumbles cooked with cumin...
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Just quickly, starting a new exercise program may be causing some of the tiredness. Unless it has been going on longer? I find that when I consume good quantities of fresh vegetables ( 8-10 servings a day) I have a pretty sustained level of energy on not much more protein than you are taking in now. I do have protein with each meal for increased satiety. I am trying to increase that because I have started strength training. I would love to help you out more later ( with meal ideas and such) I am on lunch at work now and gotta get back.

Oh, If protein is your main concern have you tried shakes? That would be an easy way to see if any increase in protein solves some of your energy problems.

I'll check back later....
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hiya :smile:

I was a Vegetarian for 20 years and i'm now a Vegan. I used to do the same and eat loads of carbs, pasta, cheese on toast etc and i had no energy either.
    Looking at your diary you really aren't getting much Veg at all and i think you would benefit from adding more protein to your diet (meat free protein)
    Quinoa is a fantastic complete protein, beans, Lentils, Tofu, Quorn, and dark green leafys (Kale, Spring greens, Broccoli)
    Have a look online for some good Vegetarian recipes or i can give you a few.

What types of foods do you like to eat??
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, so I can't offer you any advice from personal experience.

However, I'd bet that if you googled "vegetarian (or vegan) bodybuilding" you could finds some great tips on how to get in some extra protein.
  • jedibunny
    Options
    Thank you all.

The nachos were a "dinner out" thing at a restaurant/pub that really only caters to carnivores. I had to specifically ask them for nachos without beef, lol. The nachos were very good, but obviously bad for me... and I had to (lol "had" to) eat the leftovers the night after.

As for what foods I like to eat - I love grains, but he doesn't (and he usually cooks) - I love rice and beans/veg Spanish rice, or veg sushi, or anything Mediterranean/Middle Eastern/Indian. He likes Mexican and... umm, Mexican. lol! I also make this killer nutritional-yeast based gravy that I use for baked tofu Lin or potatoes, but that's definitely a "me" snack. What else? I admit I'm a sucker for mac and cheese - I had it for lunch several times this week. I also love bagels, but have to cut down on those. I like eggplant, he doesn't. etc. Very difficult sometimes.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Options
    Breakfast Protein Shake
    •1 cup soy milk
    •1 banana
    •1-2 tbsp sweetened cocoa
    •2 tbsp cashew nuts

Calories: 348
    Protein: 12.9g

Sweet n Sour Tempeh

•1 package tempeh, cut into 1 inch cubes
    •3/4 cup vegetable broth
    •2 tbsp soy sauce
    •2 tbsp olive oil
    •1 can pineapple chunks (15 oz)
    •1 green or red bell pepper cut into 1inch squares
    •1 yellow or white onion, chopped
    •2 tbsp brown sugar
    •1/4 cup vinegar (cider or white)
    •1 tbsp corn starch
    serves 3
    per portion
    21.8g protein
    calories 461

http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/

Oh She glows is a fantastic website

She offers loads of great healthy energy boosting recipes eg high protein quinoa salad! Which is gorgeous!!

Have a look :happy:
  • jedibunny
    Options

http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/

Oh She glows is a fantastic website

She offers loads of great healthy energy boosting recipes eg high protein quinoa salad! Which is gorgeous!!

That's awesome! Thank you!!
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Are you vegan or do you do dairy products? Your post caught my attention because I always seem to go over on my protein even though I'm under for the day. And that's strange to me because I don't eat a lot of meat, mostly it's in soups. But I love greek style yogurt and if you do dairy, a 6oz container has 13g of protein (I eat the low fat yogurt, not nonfat). Eggs are also great protein, you may want to try a vegetable omelet.

If you don't do dairy, try looking for Ronzoni Smart Taste noodles - they're yolk free, high in fiber and good protein too.

Use brown rice instead of white rice.

Some tips from years ago, when I was vegetarian:

Check into reworking recipes substituting crumbled veg burgers for ground meat.

Morning Star Farms makes these veg nuggets that look like chicken nuggets, good protein and they are wonderful dunked in salsa.

"Hide" high protein foods you don't like, it was beans for me, in soup with lots of other things you do like.
  • Reignfyre
    Reignfyre Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a vegetarian now 20+ years and like you I used to eat crappy vegetarian food. I looked at your diaries and I see several problems.

1) You are not eating often enough. You are slowing down your metabolism. I am severely hypoglycemic and they were going to put me on medication if I didn't get it under control. Eating several small meals or meals with a lot of snacks does several things. First, it balances your insulin levels. Second, it keeps you from getting screaming hungry where you will overeat. Third, your stomach starts to recognize what a proper sized meal is because it is getting stuffed so often after starving all day. Fourth, it keeps your metabolism high. Eating speeds up the metabolism, long breaks between food slows it down. Eat more often all day and you burn more because your body is always revved and thinking its getting food all the time.

2) You aren't eating enough for breakfast. There is a saying, "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.

3) You aren't eating a good balance of fat, carbs and protein.

4) Your diet looks really heavy in processed food. Processed food is poison. There are chemicals in it that blocks the hormonal signals that shut off your hunger/full cues. Haven't you noticed the more processed food you eat, the hungrier you get?

I think your boyfriend is recognizing some serious deficits in your diet but his prescription is wrong. You don't need animal protein, you just need to eat more often and eat healthy protein, carbs and fat. Eat your food naked. If it doesn't have a mother or grow from nature...stay away from it. Also stick to whole grains (not that processed white crap it looks like your eating). I don't see many vegetables in your diet either. Treat veggies as a main dish!!! Supplement with good healthy fruit & protein and you will be fine. If you look at my diary you will see this vegetarian is getting 2 to 3 times the amount of protein recommended for a woman. Seriously, I have no problems in that area.

What good is saving animals if you won't save yourself? You are worth it!!!
  • Fay84Vegan
    Options

What good is saving animals if you won't save yourself? You are worth it!!!

So true !!!

Great advice I eat 5 small meals a day sometimes 6 I tend to get hungry every 3ish hours ! Although Tofu keeps me full for longer!!
  • flong1975
    flong1975 Posts: 56
    Options
    I do not know if this will help you but this is part of my story/advice:
    I have only been a vegetarian for a year. Doing so ended years of stomach and migraine issues. A LOT of my friends were telling me I am not eatting enough protein but eating to many carbs and that was part of my weight issue... When I started on MFP in January, I thought MAYBE they were right... MAYBE I was not getting enough protein so I decided to try adding in chicken and turkey as a quick way to add it in. BIg mistake! If I have meat more then 2 days in a row just for 1 meal each day, I feel so sick. I would not suggest you start either. Your system is not used to processing meat -switch out the carbs and try adding in beans when ever you can, LOTS of veggies- if you eat dairy like eggs and cheese add that... use seitan as a meat substitue if you need to.... I add beans to sauces ( pureed ) and whole in salads ( black, white, red or chick peas too and edemame) hard boil eggs to add to your salad, etc

Once you tweek things and get off the carbs, you will find you have more energy which will lead to more exercise! You will feel 10x's better!

Maybe you can do some of the cooking or find recipes that you both will like - My family had to adjust to me not eating meat but I still will cook meat for them. I just make extra sides so that I can be satisfied too....

Good luck!
  • jedibunny
    Options
    Really good points from everyone. I've historically never eaten much for breakfast... I don't feel hungry until a half hour or so after waking up, and by then I'm rushing out the door because I've been lying in bed. That may be another habit I have to rework... I love cuddling in the morning and by the time I feel the need to get up I just get up, hop in the shower and go. Lately I've gotten up, grabbed a snack to take with me on the way to the gym (that yogurt, for example), and shower at the gym. I really detest mornings. Before I started going to the gym, I would sometimes just skip breakfast at home and then grab something fast-foodish on the way if I was running late.

Adding veggies... you'd think this was a "duh" for a vegetarian, but I honestly believe the only veggies I have in the house are a pre-prepped bag of salad and a green bell pepper. I definitely eat veggies on sandwiches--I love deli sandwiches, which are also awful for me--but I don't get those too often. I do have canned tomatoes, but I really don't know how to use them. One of the "great" things about our relationship was that he cooks and I bake, but I'm not baking these days and he hates cooking without meat... ugh! lol :)

I have tofu and tempeh in the house, but have used them in all of two meals. I do have miso and made some soup with green onions and tofu (that was one meal) a while ago...

Maybe a big part of this is coming up with ways to integrate things like quinoa or crumbled black bean burgers into stuff he likes to make, like his chili?

Oh, and to respond to an earlier question: I am lacto-ovo and do eat a lot of yogurt. I also like eggs, but again, don't get up early enough to cook any and might feel pretty gross if I actually ate them that early in the day.
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    I also don't like to eat in the morning AND I have a vegetarian daughter (14); here are a few things I do to make things work in our family:

*everyone eats the same basic meal: at each dinner (we're all on our own for breakfast and lunch if it's during the week) I serve a whole grain side dish/starch (rice, couscous, quinoa, roasted yukon gold or sweet potatoes), a non-starchy vegetable, a salad, and a fruit; I also make a flesh-based protein and a non-flesh based protein (sometimes it's as simple as a frittata or even a can of garbanzo beans, which both my kids love!!). This way I don't feel like I am making TWO whole, separate meals. If my daughter (the veg) does not like the offerings on any particular night she is ALWAYS welcome to make a pb/j sandwich or have some yogurt. If my non-veg daughter doesn't like the flesh-based protein (fish) she is welcome to do the same OR enjoy the non-flesh based protein.

*I have a protein shake in the mornings since I don't like to eat before 9:30 or 10; you can get these pre-mixed (if you like the taste) or make your own. I happed to like EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control in Chocolate; mix with a cup of coffee and it's like a mocha.

You can make lots of excuses ("I like to cuddle in the mornings" or "My boyfriend doesn't like tofu"); until you are ready to make your health and well being top priority they will be enough to keep you throwing in the towel and heading back to the big bowl of mac n cheese.
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    I glanced at the replies, and just want to echo focusing on really healthy choices...even if it isn't always convenient for you at that moment.

I have been (mostly) vegan for maybe 20 years. And while there's protein in nearly everything, and most people in developed countries eat too much protein, I will admit I make an effort to eat a recognizable source of protein at every meal and snack.

Great, vegan, complete protein options are things like soy, hemp, quinoa, salba, and spirulina. You can make a complete protein by combining foods, like rice & peas/red beans & rice. I sprinkle ground salba on appropriate dishes, and eat a tasty spirulina snack bar. Quinoa is great anytime.

Lentils, nuts, hummus, and more are also great sources of protein.

Myself, I became overweight because my polycystic ovarian syndrome made me insulin resistant. Without realizing why, I began putting on weight over the past 5 years. All attempts to lose weight failed. Only once I learned I was insulin resistant could I address it, and start losing weight.

Although I'm brand new to MFP, I have been successfully losing about 2.5 lbs/week, for a few months now. I'm on-target to reach my goal (my pre-insulin resistant weight) soon, even though MFP tells me it will take over 7 months. (???)

My largest meal of the day is breakfast. With whatever I have, I often eat what I call "a seed shot". It's a shot glass of different seed layers, so I'm sure to get some seeds into me...but not too much, hence the shot glass. It's usually sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and raw, organic pumpkin seeds, since they're a great source of zinc (for the immune system and libido).

All other meals could probably be confused for snacks. They're small enough that I can interchange them. (I loosely follow the old adage to, "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.")

Lunches/snacks/dinbers would be things like spicy hummus with a small, wholegrain pita, or curry lentil soup, or a half glass of low-sodium tomato juice and 4-10 nuts...depending on the type. (I tend to eat Brazil nuts, almonds, and black pepper pistachios, the most.) A bowl of steamed broccoli is fast, and makes a great side on its own. (Skip the flavourings. It doesn't need it.)

I might make a vegan cajun rice dish once in a while, or a mostly vegetable rice or pasta dish, with some texturized vegetable protein.

I do own some veg. protein shake powder, but I find it ALWAYS makes me gain weight. (Remember that advice to eat 30g of protein within 30 min's of waking, as an "easy" way to lose weight? I tried that using a recommended soy protein powder shake. I gained 7 lbs in 2 weeks! I had no choice but to quit. Then again, that was before I learned I was insulin resistant. Still, on the few days I have used it since, it always resulted in a higher weight the next day. So, I'm skeptical...)

I'm not big into soy, in general. But I love, love, love edamame as a snack. It's so fast and delicious! Just take a cup of frozen edamame (soy beans in the pod), and boil for maybe 5-7 minutes. Drain, salt (optional) and plate, and you're ready to dig in! Drink some low-cal grapefruit juice with it, and you'll maximize the amount of iron you get out of it.

Several plants have more iron per ounce than meat. Just be sure to consume them with a citrus, for maximum absorption of iron.

Spinach is another good source of iron, but also calcium. Make a baby spinach salad with some tomato and/or orange wedges or strawberries, a scattering of praline nuts or pine nuts, and a soft fruit balsamic glaze drizzled over the top, and you're set. Sometimes I bake a small wheel of goat cheese encrusted with crumbs or finely chopped nuts, and add it to the salad, for my husband or non-vegan guests.

Steel cut oats make a hearty breakfast. Even peanut butter toast gets a little nut protein into you.

If I eat, say, an apple or some raw vegetables as a snack, I will make sure to have a few nuts (just 4-10) or some hummus or something a bit higher in protein with that carb.

I don't pretend to have any specific dietary advice for you. These are just examples from my diet. Remember there are many, many, many happy, healthy, buff, built, super-strong vegan athletes, including bodybuilders.

Good luck! :-)
  • jedibunny
    Options
    I appreciate all the responses. They're very insightful, very thought-out, and very what I needed to hear: to stop making excuses. I will certainly look into a lot of the option you've all listed -- already bookmarked that recipe blog page -- and start talking to my dear carnivore about accommodating both our needs.

So much change, very fast. I can do it.

xo
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    I looked at your diet and the one thing that stood out to me was no fresh veg. it seems like you are eating a lot of carbs and processed foods. i eat a high raw diet and it is so easy and convenient. and when i want something cooked it is usually veggies as well. dark leafy greens have a ton of protein in them and it is easier for your body to break it down than a piece of meat. 1 pound of kale has more protein than is daily recommended by the USDA. I also suggest staying away from soy products because soy acts like weak estrogen and can mess with a woman's reproductive system. That is important if you ever want to have children. I always tell people to do their own research but these are my suggestions.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Since you eat eggs - you can get a carton of egg whites and make them in the microwave of a morning (thats what I do for breakfast) with a soy sausage patty on an english muffin. Total time in microwave between the two is 2 minutes and my english muffin is toasting while the eggs and "sausage" are cooking.
  • jedibunny
    Options
    Since you eat eggs - you can get a carton of egg whites and make them in the microwave of a morning (thats what I do for breakfast) with a soy sausage patty on an english muffin. Total time in microwave between the two is 2 minutes and my english muffin is toasting while the eggs and "sausage" are cooking.

That sounds really good. :) I'll try it!
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I see from your diary that you are not eating meat, but if you had not told us that you are a vegetarian
    I would of never been able to guess that you are a vegetarian from the foods you eat. Yikes where are the
    vegetables in your diet? I see that you like egg whites how about sauteing vegetables to go into them. I
    really enjoy cooked mushrooms and onions in my scrambled eggs. I add in salsa and top with about one
    ounce of cheese. I think if you made vegs as the star and used cheese as a condiment instead your diet could
    improve and you might feel better. How about for a meal you have beans of your choice and add chopped onions
    and a bit of cheese on top? I am pretty new here but my food diary is public and you are welcomed to look
    for some ideas to get more vegs in your day. I am not a vegetarian but I am lucky to have one friend here
    that calls herself the vegetable police and I have a friend that is the water police. You are in the right place :)