Workout shoes?

Options
vb2012
vb2012 Posts: 134 Member
I currently have a running shoe, but am not a runner. My workouts mostly involve gym classes (body step, spinning, body pump, total body circuit/boot camp, cardio dance, and zumba) and JM DVDs at home. I find that my feet are sore often after certain workouts - especially if it involves lots of lateral movements. Do you think it would help to get cross-training shoes?

Also, does anyone have advice for stretches that alleviate foot pain? It is not severe, but noticeable. Thanks!

Replies

• vb2012
    Options
    Bump!
  • schlagers
    schlagers Posts: 58
    Options
    I have had foot issues/pain ever since high school sports. I actually had to have foot surgery because I shredded the ligaments in my foot! (not fun), so I'm widely versed on ways to stretch out your feet. My favorite stretch is actually quite simple....take any cylinder shaped object and place the round side under your foot. Roll your foot back and forth on the object. I usually use a soup can, tennis balls actually work great too!

I don't really know a lot about cross-trainers, I think everyone's feet feel different in different shoes so it's hard to say what would be perfect for you. It's kind of a trial and error thing I think.
  • vb2012
    Options
    I have had foot issues/pain ever since high school sports. I actually had to have foot surgery because I shredded the ligaments in my foot! (not fun), so I'm widely versed on ways to stretch out your feet. My favorite stretch is actually quite simple....take any cylinder shaped object and place the round side under your foot. Roll your foot back and forth on the object. I usually use a soup can, tennis balls actually work great too!

I don't really know a lot about cross-trainers, I think everyone's feet feel different in different shoes so it's hard to say what would be perfect for you. It's kind of a trial and error thing I think.

Ouch, that sounds painful :( Thanks for the foot stretch tip - will try that today!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to find a shoe that fits you properly. The type of shoe is less important (as long as it's not one of those new fangled "shaping" shoes with the bubbled/curved soles - those are terrible).
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think a cross training shoe would be helpful for you. They're designed a bit different than a running shoe and should give you more support with the lateral movements. As someone else already said, be sure to get ones that fit you really well. If they're too big and you're slipping around inside them they won't be as supportive as they should be.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    When you go to a sports store, looks for a cross training and not a runner. It completely varies from person to person what you like. I actually have different shoes for my different training. I LOVE my merrell barefoots for everything except step class. I need more for step. Still hunting for the perfect shoe for step class.
  • vb2012
    Options
    lunamare, jacksonpt, hmmm... maybe I need to get 1/2 a size smaller shoe - I don't like tight shoes, so I always err on the larger 1/2 size. Maybe not such a good idea for a sport shoe. I'll also try out a cross-trainer with the right size. Thanks for the input!

HollyMac20, thanks for your input too! Are the merrell barefoots like vibram? They do look like they'd be super comfy, but I haven't worked up the courage to be seen outside in one :P BTW, profile pic - yoga pose? WOW!
  • porksiopao
    porksiopao Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was using a running shoe like you, then I realized that it does not give me the stability for lateral moves, so I got cross trainers. I currently use an Avia cross trainer, and I immediately felt the difference while doing my cardio workouts. Less cushioning than a running shoe definitely, but very stable. I switch to the Brooks running shoe when I hop onto the elliptical.