Good Books?

Options

Replies

• NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    The Descendants

The Vow

I wasn't dragging hubby to see them, so I read them. SO glad I did.
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Check out www.goodreads.com

Hunger Games Series
    Game of Thrones Series
    Anything by Janet Evanovich
    Girl.....with the dragon tatoo and others by Steig Larson
    Language of Flowers and Night Circus were my two favorites from last year
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    How about the Steve Jobs autobiography? It is very interesting. We are reading that one for our next Book Club. Or The Help was a fantastic book, probably one of the best 10 I have ever read.
    Little Bee was also good, (think it was released in some countries as 'the other hand') agree with the Jodi Picoult recommendations, and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I found Paths of Glory (Jeffrey Archer), interesting also, it was about the first 2 guys that may have made it to the summit of Mt Everest.
    I also didn't mind the White Queen, but Patricia Gregory (think that was her name).
    We also read One Day, which was nice.
  • Djohnson7337
    Options
    I love everything the Lee Child writes, John sandfords Prey series is really good (mystery) and Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plumb series is a light and laugh out loud funny. I also just read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein and it was very good. It is written from the perspective of the dog which is different. I agree the Dragon Tatoo series is really great!
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    11/22/63 by Stephen King. Nothing like anything I've read by Stephen King. Really enjoyed it.
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    If you enjoyed The Hunger Games trilogy, you will like Divergent.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Well if you like baseball I am reading "The Baseball Gospels" by Dirk Hayhurst. It is an autobiography from time in the minor leagues. He also has an new one out "Out of My League" which I am hearing is great and has to do with his girl friend/wife and having a relationship while being a pro-baseball player.
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    Well, I read a lot. But most people wouldn't like what I like. So something more mainstream that really affected my life: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Haddon. I read it in one day and it is amazing. It is from the viewpoint of an autistic boy.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Stones From the River by Ursala Hegi is one of my all time favorite books. I get lost in this epic novel every time I read it. Another homerun for me is She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. Very powerful read - especially for someone on a weight loss journey.
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    Well, I read a lot. But most people wouldn't like what I like. So something more mainstream that really affected my life: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Haddon. I read it in one day and it is amazing. It is from the viewpoint of an autistic boy.

Oops -- forgot to post my seconding of this book. Read it some years ago and loved it. Also, John Adams by McCullough. Any book by Sarah Vowel -- The Partly Cloudy Patriot, Assassination Vacation.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    If you like the Hunger Games series, there is a new trilogy out that is very similar. The first book only is out, and I actually like it netter than Hunger Games. It s called Divergent by Veronica Roth. It's awesome!!! The second one is due out in May, I cannot wait.
  • tgianino
    tgianino Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love books by Patricia Cornwell. The Scarpetta series is my favorite! If you're into CSI stuff you will not be disappointed with these!

I love the Scarpetta series too! I also read a lot of Michael Connelly. The Harry Bosch series are great! I've listened to the audio book by Dean Koontz titled Odd Thomas. If you like audio books I highly recommend that one! Hope this helps!
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    The circle series: Green, Black, Red and White by Ted Dekker
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "The Code: The Unwritten Rules of Fighting and Retaliation in the NHL". Sounds way different from everything else listed in this topic, but thought I'd throw it out there for the purposes of diversity!

The book I'll be reading next is "The Anatomy of Hope." A book of stories from a doctor and his experiences with folks diagnosed with terminal illnesses and their amazing will to continue living.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I love to read. I usually have 3 sometimes 4 books going simultaneously. Like a previous poster, I had read John Adams by McCullough. I am currently reading Truman by the same author, Haruki Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (and finished his Kafka on the Shore). I finished The Smartest Guys in the Room: the Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron. I had read the Stieg Larsson detective mysteries long before they were made into movies (and still prefer the foreign film versions of the movies too).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm currently listening to The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and re-reading The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel. I've never read the rest of the Earth's Children series but an old friend said he was completely blown away by them so I plan on continuing with The Valley of Horses next.

My last paper book before that was the 9th book in the Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) series by Charlaine Harris.
    My last audiobook was The Last Ember by Daniel Levin (good if you liked Davinci Code).

I think my next audio book will be something by Chevy Stevens but I haven't decided yet...

If you're in to reading and always have a list of books going, I'd highly recommend joining GoodReads.com. I don't use it for much else besides keeping my To Read and Read/rated books in order but there are several valuable features besides those tools.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    A Woman Of The People - aNovel By Benjamin Capp.

and World Of Silence by Don Coldsmith.

Nina
  • Mrsairforce
    Mrsairforce Posts: 130
    Options
    Anything by John Green <3

Edit: Looking for Alaska seriously made me laugh, cry, scream...best book ever.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk is my favorite book. It's the theme for my neck tattoo. <333333
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Confessions of a Scary Mommy

www.scarymommy.com is where you can get it cheap.

and no, this isnt MY book im promoting or anything :)

but it totally screams ME ME ME ME ME to a ****in' T