Gluten and Anxiety?

Options
Hello all. I have been suffering from anxiety attacks for the last couple of months with no known cause to why they started. The only explanation was that I was stressed out.

However, I'm doing an experiment right now in which I am taking the majority of foods containing gluten out of my diet. In the last few days, I have felt amazing... and that is on decently low carbs. My depression and anxiety have subsided and I also have a lot more energy. I am just curious if they are connected in some way. I have not yet been tested for this intolerance to gluten, but plan on it. I plan on also continuing my experiment for the next 30 days to see if it is a continuous improvement in my overall well being.

If anybody else has had a similar situation or experience let me know!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there is a test for gluten intollerance. Intollerances are found doing exactly what you are doing, eliminting soemthing from your diet and seeing how your body reacts. Then adding them back and seeing if the symtoms return.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. If I don't have to pay to get a test done, I'm good with that!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there is a test for gluten intollerance. Intollerances are found doing exactly what you are doing, eliminting soemthing from your diet and seeing how your body reacts. Then adding them back and seeing if the symtoms return.

However, there will be a high probablity of a nocebo effect
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

There is indeed a blood test for it, I'm having it done on Thursday and ironically I also suffer from an anxiety disorder. The doctor isn't having the test done due to that but it's an interesting connection.

The technical term is an gA-human tissue transglutaminase (TTG) or IgA- endomysial antibody (EMA)
    test or a combination of both to diagnose Celiac disease and is accurate in 90% of the cases, you typically need an intestinal biopsy to confirm the extra 10%
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    dont know that I am allergic to them but I can say being LC and gluten free as much as possible I do feel WAY better and depression is nothing like it has been in the past due to SAD..
    I am taking it as a positive. If I do eat high carbs not necessarily just gluten I notice fairly quickly feeling ill. So you could be onto something.
    Previous poster said it right tho.. eliminate it from your diet note changes then re add it and see what happens.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    There are diagnostic indicators for Celiac disease though. People with Celiac disease can't eat gluten. My cousin went through the diagnostic process (whatever that is) and is now gluten free, has lost weight and is no longer malnourished.
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    There actually is a test for the disease against gluten, Celiacs, that requires a fairly simple test to the doctor. But the best way is to simply cut all gluten and wheat from your diet. You might just have an intolerance that would not show up on the test. I am gluten/wheat/dairy free so if you need any advice feel free to ask! :) and good luck
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few articles online if you Google 'gluten and anxiety', so it seems you are not alone.

Glad it's working for you, and x2 on the test. I was tested and have an allergy to gluten, but not enough of one where my doctor told me to stop eating it (thank goodness....).
  • jpantlik
    jpantlik Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is a test for Celiac Disease which is caused by an allergy to Gluten. A simple blood test can diagnose this. I have multiple family members with this disease and I have seen changes in mood with the addition and removal of gluten from the diet. Hope you are feeling better soon .:smile:
  • SilentRenegade
    Options
    Thank you for all of the responses. I am hoping that I am actually onto something. I would rather have to change my eating habits than take medication for it. In my opinion (I hate taking medicine and did not do well on Lorazepam), it will be easier for me to knock certain foods out than having to take medication everyday.
  • Mrshelenparr
    Options
    I have Celiac and it was partially diagnosed through blood test, then followed up with an endoscopy which confirmed. Gluten intolerance shows in so many different ways in different people that it is very tricky to diagnose; I wouldn't rule out a connection at all! :) Good luck, and if just removing it from your diet does you good, then keep it up of course!
  • jiggy_gibby
    jiggy_gibby Posts: 197
    Options
    If you have results, then keep doing gf ! As many said, there is a test for celiac.

As you journal, watch your reactions to other common allergen foods- especially soy, eggs, nuts and dairy.

I am mostly gluten free and soy free. Had the colonoscopy but no endoscope for other GI issues. Totally off meds for that by eliminating gluten and soy.

Thank Goodness I have no problem with dairy- I love cheese way too much!
  • SilentRenegade
    Options
    If you have results, then keep doing gf ! As many said, there is a test for celiac.

As you journal, watch your reactions to other common allergen foods- especially soy, eggs, nuts and dairy.

I am gluten and soy free. Thank Goodness I have problem with dairy- I love cheese way too much!

I love cheese a lot too! I've never really had an issue with dairy that I've noticed... so hopefully I can continue to eat my cheeses. So far so good!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

There is indeed a blood test for it, I'm having it done on Thursday and ironically I also suffer from an anxiety disorder. The doctor isn't having the test done due to that but it's an interesting connection.

The technical term is an gA-human tissue transglutaminase (TTG) or IgA- endomysial antibody (EMA)
    test or a combination of both to diagnose Celiac disease and is accurate in 90% of the cases, you typically need an intestinal biopsy to confirm the extra 10%

But you can have an intollerance to gluten and not have Celiac Disease. There may well be a test for intollerance. I've just never heard of anyone being diagnosed with an intollerance except by elimination diet, or sometimes an allergy test will show a sensitivity without showing a true allergy.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac disease and need a gluten free diet... One of the side effects --and combine menopause with it--was anxiety attacks.... At the time. I had a stressful job--which didn't help.. I was put on a mild anti-anxiety Rx. and it really helped. I am on maintenance with the Rx and have not had an attack since I was put on it.....Don't be afraid to ask your doctor about it....Friend me if you need any help with it...
  • jiggy_gibby
    jiggy_gibby Posts: 197
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/112-gluten-free

Gluten free group on this site you can join.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac disease and need a gluten free diet... One of the side effects --and combine menopause with it--was anxiety attacks.... At the time. I had a stressful job--which didn't help.. I was put on a mild anti-anxiety Rx. and it really helped. I am on maintenance with the Rx and have not had an attack since I was put on it.....Don't be afraid to ask your doctor about it....Friend me if you need any help with it...