Exercise for Gout

Options
Well I have a gout attack going again :(
So hard to get to the gym and exercise when it hurts to walk and I was wondering if there were any other gout sufferers out there that could recommend some exercises to do at home that don't involve moving or standing on my feet? I want to get exercise in and stay on track but it hurts too bad to stand for extende periods.

Replies

• leia200for2
    Options
    :( So sorry to hear that! I don't know about exercise you can do but once it clears up, you may want to start drinking cherry juice daily - it works for my hubby.
  • Masachapa
    Options
    As a gout sufferer myself, I found out that when I quit performing 12oz curls (beer) everyday and exchanged it for water, my last gout attack was right after Thanksgiving last year. I had a uric acid level at that time of 11.7. 30 days of Uloric and abstinance from beer reduced my acid level to 2.3.
    I feel for you, as gout is incredibly painful! I know of no exercises that you could effectively perform until your attack subsides. Maybe your physician can help you get your acid level under control and then you can maintain it through dietary changes.
    Good luck!!
  • Masachapa
    Options
    :( So sorry to hear that! I don't know about exercise you can do but once it clears up, you may want to start drinking cherry juice daily - it works for my hubby.

Yes!!! Cherry juice is rather expensive, but well worth it! It can really reduce the severity of an attack without having to resort to poisioning yourself with colchicine.
  • OsiViper
    OsiViper Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My gout was fairly under control with Allopurinol, but from what I was reading, when you lose weight even when doing it correctly for a long period of time you will start to lose some muscle and when your body burns any muscle it causes a huge spike in Uris acid. Losing fat also increases uric acid, but not as much as muscle.

And I have heard of the cherry juice, but I haven't been able to find one I can stomache yet. They all taste pretty nasty.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Research a medication called Allopurinol. I used to get gout real bad. (uric acid build up which forms crystals in and around the joints) It is severely painful. See your doctor about this. Mine put me on Allopurinol and I have not had a gout attack for 3 years! Of course you have to limit your intake of gout causing foods like beer which made me cry a bit. It costs $10.00 for a 3 month supply here in Canada. I don't know if it is available in the States. It should be. Not sure what it costs there either. But wow does it work!
  • OsiViper
    Options
    Research a medication called Allopurinol. I used to get gout real bad. (uric acid build up which forms crystals in and around the joints) It is severely painful. See your doctor about this. Mine put me on Allopurinol and I have not had a gout attack for 3 years! Of course you have to limit your intake of gout causing foods like beer which made me cry a bit. It costs $10.00 for a 3 month supply here in Canada. I don't know if it is available in the States. It should be. Not sure what it costs there either. But wow does it work!

Yea I am on allopurinol,chave been for a year and it was working fine until I started losing weight, then it just couldn't keep up.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

Yea I am on allopurinol,chave been for a year and it was working fine until I started losing weight, then it just couldn't keep up.
    Interesting. Before starting this site I lost 42 lbs. No gout yet but I suppose it matters what genetics we have and our particular diets. I hope my gout STAYS GONE! I am always scared it may come back some day as the pain is excruciating. I guess I will have to cross that bridge if and when I need to. Sure sorry to hear yours came back though!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My husband takes a natural supplement daily of cherry and celery root since he won't drink cherry juice. He simply can't exercise when it flares up. A few days off is e most he needs to take off.
  • OsiViper
    Options

Interesting. Before starting this site I lost 42 lbs. No gout yet but I suppose it matters what genetics we have and our particular diets. I hope my gout STAYS GONE! I am always scared it may come back some day as the pain is excruciating. I guess I will have to cross that bridge if and when I need to. Sure sorry to hear yours came back though!

Yea, I have horrid genetics when it comes to gout.. 3 grandparents and both parents have it so I got screwed..
  • OsiViper
    Options
    Well, I picked up this black cherry concentrate capsule from GNC after reading some reviews about it. Took 2 of them and within 3 hours I can already notice a difference.
  • Billmath
    Billmath Posts: 2
    Options
    I used to get a couple of Gout attacks a month. I started taking celery seed extract capsules over a year ago and haven't had an attack since. I didn't have to alter my diet or beer consumption at all.

Make sure you get the capsules that contain a compound known as 3-nbutylphthalide or 3nB for short.

http://www.myhealthmybody.com/trellis/ADM4515 Celery Seed
  • Jyster
    Jyster Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have chronic gout and when I lose weight too fast it sets off a flareup because of the acid levels change. From what I have found there is no exercise I can do other than rest and power drink water. One fella told me 1 oz of water for every 2lbs you weigh.

The others are right, cherry juice works, cranberry juice works as well. I keep frozen cherries in the freezer and eat a handful when I think an attack is coming on. But the big thing is to flush with water and I take Aleive to help deaden some of the pain. Can't afford to go to the doctor so I can't afford to get all those cool new meds out on the market.

I think the hardest part for me has been trying to only lose one pound of weight a week, I have the ambition to work harder but then I get derailed by two weeks of not being able to walk. No I over eat time to time just to slow my weight loss, stupid I know but it is one of my triggers I have to be careful of.
  • Jyster
    Jyster Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bumping to see if more people have opinions.