Good Books?

Options

Replies

• FrozenTundra511
    FrozenTundra511 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    11/22/63 by Stephen King. Nothing like anything I've read by Stephen King. Really enjoyed it.

This. Completely agree.
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The Help
  • ve022
    ve022 Posts: 21
    Options
    I suggest the hunger game series
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    I just finished "The Hour I First Believed". It is over 700 pages, so it will keep you busy for a while :D I really enjoyed it.

I LOVE Wally Lamb! I'd recommend any of his books :)

To OP- I was going to say the Hunger Games! I'm in the middle of book two right now, but looks like you're one step ahead of me! They are Excellent!
  • empleh69
    empleh69 Posts: 41
    Options
    Anything by John Sanford...thriller, mystery, cop type books. "Prey" series follows one central character on different cases.
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    The Help

The Help is easily one of the best books I've read in years :)
  • tiffanyvc
    tiffanyvc Posts: 99
    Options
    I love everything by Meg Cabot. Her books mostly have a romantic twist, but I wouldn't consider them romance novels. Start with her "Size __ is Not Fat" series. The first two are hilarious, but I haven't read the third one yet. She also writes some young adult books, which I also read and they are decent.

I also loved the Hunger Games, but apparently so did everyone else on here. :)

There are some Biblical novels written by Terri Fivash that are FANTASTIC if you're into that sort of thing. My favorite is Joseph, and I also like the Dahveed series.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE "Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden...I read it once a year. I also love the Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind...great choice if you're looking for a few months worth of page-flipping fun! Gary Paulsen's "Woodsong" is a wonderful fast-as-lightning read. And, finally, "Full Dark, No Stars" is my favorite book by Stephen King.
  • crashta
    crashta Posts: 72
    Options
    Author: Gail Anderson-Dargatz
    "The Cure for Death by Lightning"
    "A Recipe for Bees"

Author: Jeannette Walls
    "Glass Castle"
    "Half Broke Horses"

Author: Joseph Boyden
    "Through Black Spruce"
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am, I suppose, what you would call a diverse reader.

I'm on a Chuck kick at the moment. Just finished Choke and Rant and am reading Haunted now.

I also finished King's 11/22/63. I like his normal stuff as well, but of course this one lacks the "gore" of most of his work. It can be very thought provoking.

I've read and enjoyed the Hunger Games and Girl With... series. I've also read all of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books. These are the basis for True Blood and definitely not for kids :)

And Water For Elephants last month. Another very good read.

Since all of these have been mentioned... If you are into supernatural but maybe not the sparkly vampires, you can try Stephanie Meyer's book written for adults. It's called "The Host".
  • T5cents
    T5cents Posts: 5
    Options
    Sarah's Key
    Cease to Blush
    Secret Daugther
    anything by Sophie Kinsella.
    Proving Ground is non-fiction - about Sydney to Hobart Ocean Race
  • WJZR
    WJZR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love Maeve Binchy!

I am also addicted to those OLD time mystery stories. I got a nook for christmas, and downloaded for FREE, 1000 mystery stories by Agatha Christie, A C Doyle, Katherine Green, and many more.
  • skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    If you liked the hunger games, you will LOVE divergent by Veronica Roth! It's fantastic, you must read it!
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Just started The Count of Monte Cristo, again :-)

After that, I'll probably read World War Z, again :-)
  • cwojo
    cwojo Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I enjoy reading any of James Patterson books.
  • missykm7
    missykm7 Posts: 42
    Options
    The HUNGER GAMES series are a must read! Also loved the Sookie Stackhouse series...based on TrueBlood. And love the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich... the movie that just came out based on the first book (One For the Money) definitely did not do the book justice.
  • amandahoppes
    Options
    I haven't read them yet...........but I want to read the trilogy of "Fifty Shades of Grey" by E.L. James. JUST SAYIN....

Oh, and I have read "Stupid and Contagious" by Caprice Crane and it is an absolute FAVORITE of mine. Hilarious!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong reading the Bible. Other than that, my favorite author is probably Eileen Goudge. I love her characters, and her plots are always intriguing. If I want to laugh out loud, I read Janet Evanovich's numbered series of books recounting the exploits of Stephanie Plum, bounty hunter. One of my all-time favorites is "The Virginian," an old western by Owen Wister. As a teenager, I fell in love with "The Virginian," and it took many years to find a man like him to marry, but I finally found one! I've read most of Patricia Cornwell's books, but, finally, I'm weary of the gore. Happy reading!
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    I really like The Winter Sea by susana Kearsley.
    Also Juliet is a good one too.