Help I am in a panic

Options
I have been on a plateau for over a year, 5 down 5 up, back an forth, but reasonably stable. I messed up my Atkins over the last 4 months, vacations and other occasions, and now I have gain an additional 10 lbs that has put me back up over my 'hill'. The place that I would not go because it would cause an upward spiral.
I went back on low cal/low fat 1200 cals daily but nothing is happening, I actually went up.
I know 10 lbs doesn't sound like a lot but it is a big jump from where I was hanging...in the wrong direction. I am so panicked. I need some help, some ideas that I havent heard before.
Something that will make me think it is possible to turn this back.
Any ideas.?

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I have been on a plateau for over a year, 5 down 5 up, back an forth, but reasonably stable. I messed up my Atkins over the last 4 months, vacations and other occasions, and now I have gain an additional 10 lbs that has put me back up over my 'hill'. The place that I would not go because it would cause an upward spiral.
    I went back on low cal/low fat 1200 cals daily but nothing is happening, I actually went up.
    I know 10 lbs doesn't sound like a lot but it is a big jump from where I was hanging...in the wrong direction. I am so panicked. I need some help, some ideas that I havent heard before.
    Something that will make me think it is possible to turn this back.
    Any ideas.?

I'm feeling the exact same way! I've been yo-yoing with the same 4 to 6 pounds since December! It's very frustrating! :grumble: I'm thinking that maybe if I invest in an HMR and get an ACCURATE count on the calories I burn doing different exercises (jogging, dancing, walking) that MAYBE THAT'LL help me. I've asked MFP members for their opinions on a good HMR.
    Anyway, I'll be interested to see what others have for suggestions for you! Good luck! :smile:
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    OK, I am no expert by any means.....I've lost and regained 20 pounds for years and never gone beyond that. However, I have read and researched A LOT. Maybe some of this would help....

Totally change your exercise routine because your body has adapted. Keep up the intensity, time, and frequency, just change what you're actually doing.

Eat natural, whole foods with no processing, perservatives, added sugar, sodium, etc.

Multiply your weight times 7....that's how much you need to eat to lose. If you eat less, your metabolism slows. As you lose weight, your calories decrease, but don't go below 1000-1200.

And of course, up the water and fiber

I hope all of this wasn't too obvious, but it's all I know to suggest.

The two best programs that have worked for me are The Biggest Loser 30 Day Jump Start and Bill Phillips' Body/Eating for Life. They're similar and they are the only things I can do.

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    I have 2 suggestions......1 is "muscle confusion". If you change up your cardio routine regularly you'll be more challenged & it will decrease boredom. 2 is strength training. If you want bulky muscles do small sets of heavy weights. If you want lean muscle do large sets of low weights ) I do sets of 20 w/weights light enough to get through 1-2 sets per circuit. Also, instead of focusing on 1 body part & taking long rests, rotate through all areas (arms, shoulders, abs, legs, etc w/very short rest periods. This allows you to go longer & burn more calories because your heart rate stays elevated. I like doing my strength training with free weights & and exercise ball. Hope that helps :)
  • isome
    isome Posts: 8
    Options
    Is there a reason that you changed from Atkins to calorie count? Just curious, since Atkins was helping you, maybe that is what you need to go back to. I don't think that it is a good program since it isn't balanced, but if you get back to the 5 lb yo yo, maybe then you can slowly add back the carbs and get into the calorie counting program.

I have a lot to lose, but I'm not sure about you. If you don't have much to lose, it always comes off slower. Variety is the best when it comes to exercise and foods, so please read the prior replies.

I wish you the best of luck. I know that this may be something that you knew already, but jmo.