Mentstrual Cycle and Weight Gain

Options
I'm finding this week frustrating. The scale has gone up two pounds, but I'm still only eating my 1200-1400 calories. However, I think it's connected to my period (sorry boys).

Does anyone else experience this? And if so, how much do you typically gain?

Replies

• TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I can fluctuate up to 5lbs. Although, prior to having my son, when I was at my healthiest, my weight fluctuation was much more under control. I'm hoping that happens again after losing this baby weight!
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I always go up a pound or two depending on what I eat a few days before weigh ins. frustrating isn't it???
  • MinimizingMichelle
    MinimizingMichelle Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy during the PMS and period time is so tough! And then not seeing results?? Ugh.

I just want a Big Mac....
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have problems around my period, and I have water retention problems as well. This week alone, I gained 4 pounds or more, and it's all water weight.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    It's water weight and will go away. Stay off the scale for a week if it bothers you that much. I can can "gain" as much as 5 pounds on day 1, but I don't let it bother me.
  • MinimizingMichelle
    Options
    I'm sticking to my diet and I'm hoping that as soon as I'm done I'll drop all that nasty water weight...
  • beanym
    beanym Posts: 2
    Options
    I get terrible bloating, increased appetite and water retention about a week before my menstrual cycle, it has been this way for years. It is very vexing!
  • anj911
    anj911 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Between 2 and 5lbs - and all I want to do is eat chocolate, ice cream or biscuits!

I'm just not going to weigh myself til afterwards :laugh:
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    Water.

Your body holds into it during TOM. Its so annoying but it will go away when TOM does :)
  • MinimizingMichelle
    Options
    It's water weight and will go away. Stay off the scale for a week if it bothers you that much. I can can "gain" as much as 5 pounds on day 1, but I don't let it bother me.

Sadly, I'm a scale addict. It actually keeps me motivated, although it does the opposite for so many other people.
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    I literally gain around 5 lbs when its that time of the month. Then it drops off the week or so after.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else experience this?
    No, its just you!

HAHA...not trying to seriously be snarky, but there are like a million posts about this, and yes, we ALL get it. Don't stress over the (perceived) weight gain, Like others said, its just water retention and ill be gone soon. Try not to weigh as often and remember that you supposedly burn more calories this week when you workout....so make it work to your benefit!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

Sadly, I'm a scale addict. It actually keeps me motivated, although it does the opposite for so many other people.

I understand completely! I am a daily weigher too, but I only count my Monday morning weight as official and I don't obsess over daily fluctuations.
  • MinimizingMichelle
    Options
    Does anyone else experience this?
    No, its just you!

HAHA...not trying to seriously be snarky, but there are like a million posts about this, and yes, we ALL get it. Don't stress over the (perceived) weight gain, Like others said, its just water retention and ill be gone soon. Try not to weigh as often and remember that you supposedly burn more calories this week when you workout....so make it work to your benefit!

A little snarky and it was meant to be a light-hearted post. I recommend next time you just don't read it. :)

But thanks.
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible. I usually gain a lb or two around my totm. :sad:
  • MinimizingMichelle
    Options
    I suppose I should have worded it differently. I understand that everyone experiences it, was just curious as to what extent.

I'd love to see that scale drop 5 pounds after I'm done. :wink: (Wishful thinking!)
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    It varies. Two or three weeks ago I had this abnormal cycle that caused me to pick up about seven pounds overnight. It stayed like that for nearly an entire week (hella frustrating) then I shaved off maybe two or three of those pounds. On average, I pick up between six to eight extra pounds... each day varying some.. but once TOM leaves, it all goes back to normal.. and then some at times too.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm bloated like a pig right now.... just sayin'. I await the miracle drug.
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 2-5 pounds. It's discouraging to see, but at least I know why I'm seeing it, so that makes it a little easier to swallow.
  • MinimizingMichelle
    Options
    It varies. Two or three weeks ago I had this abnormal cycle that caused me to pick up about seven pounds overnight. It stayed like that for nearly an entire week (hella frustrating) then I shaved off maybe two or three of those pounds. On average, I pick up between six to eight extra pounds... each day varying some.. but once TOM leaves, it all goes back to normal.. and then some at times too.

That's what I'm crossing my fingers for too. I'd love to see a change in the scaled following. Would love it even more if it's drastic.

Ps. Congrats on the huge weight loss! That's incredible!