Can't go walking

Options
Earlier this week, while I was walking, my lower legs started hurting really bad. I have never been in so much pain in my life, and I used to have migrane headaches, I have had gall bladder surgery as well as a hysterectomy and I have never hurt that bad. We are hoping that it is a certain medication I am on and by going off of it, it will help my situtation out. There is also a possibility it is shin splints.:sad: I hope this is not it because I really want to get back to walking and running. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do if it is shin splints? All suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance. I really want to walk.

Replies

• twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    Shin splints--in my experience--are the worst. I've had them a couple times-for me they've lasted no more than a few days-and I live in a 2 story house, my office is on the 2nd story, & I do a decent amount of driving/walking for work. What I do is adjust my walking style to the least painful way, use a heating pad & when in bed elevate my leg(s) with a pillow. And just generally take it as easy as possible until the pain subsides. I hope you feel better soon :)
  • slimmingmom
    slimmingmom Posts: 297
    Options
    I have shin splints and they HURT :sad: Though, after having my baby and taking him for walks, i've noticed that though they still hurt, not as bad. Maybe if you found something to push it would help you out a little bit too??? Other than a stroller, i'm not too sure what you can push though :laugh:
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    I have shin splints and they HURT :sad: Though, after having my baby and taking him for walks, i've noticed that though they still hurt, not as bad. Maybe if you found something to push it would help you out a little bit too??? Other than a stroller, i'm not too sure what you can push though :laugh:
    You could go shopping & push a cart :))
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints too, they are especially bad when I am overweight (obese). But like you I want to walk and run. Beacuse of the shin splints I have had to take it really slowly, I have been doing a program similar to the couch to 5k, called time-to-run it starts off even slower, I started at absolute beginner level. And yes they hurt, but it is getting better. I actually ran for 5 minutes today! It was my first run after 6 weeks of preparation. I only walk/run 3 days a week with a day off my feet in between. On my days off I swim an hour, my legs need it to recover. In the past I have has acupunture and it really helped, I also rubbed stuff on my shins called Zheng Gu Shui before I went out, it also helped. I take extra time to stretch my calves and shins because often people get shin splints from having tight calves.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, my run this morning was pretty good, I do believe that within a couple of months I will be running 5k and am really excited! Don't give up!
  • StaciGirten
    StaciGirten Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you advice. I live in an upstairs apartment and it hurts sometimes to go up the stairs and come down them. I used to walk all the time and I never had this problem and I have lived here for almost 10 years and it not bother me. However, I didn't start taking the medicine until Feb. of this year, that seems to be the only thing different that I am doing, than what I was doing before, so hopefully that is the problem. My dr. told me not to try and walk for 10 days, but when I do, I will definitely try out your suggestions if my legs start to hurt. Also glad to hear that they get better with time if it is shin splints. Thanks again.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I'm glad you spoke to your doctor, and your sure this is about "shin splints"?? Could be a circulation problem as well. just a thought.
  • StaciGirten
    StaciGirten Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    we are really not for sure what it is. We are just trying the medicine thing first, then if that doesn't help, then I will go and see her and we will go from there. I just spoke with her on the phone, I haven't seen her yet. My left leg is doing wonderful, but my right leg still hurts when I put very much pressure on it. I will ask her about circulation also if this doesn't clear up, thanks for your input...I just want to walk/jog again...I feel like I am being punished...is that crazy or what.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are the worse! When I had them I iced them. Started walking short distances and increased slowly. For me what really irritates mine is walking on an incline on the treadmill.
    Icing helped take some of the pain away. Take it slow. You'll get to running again:flowerforyou:
  • danni55
    danni55 Posts: 22
    Options
    if you have shin splints it could be the type of sneaker you are wearing. most people that get them (from what i've heard and my experiences and what i've read) need to get fitted to make sure they are in the best walking/running sneaker for them. Also, for me a REALLY great pair of insoles help.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: sorry for your pain and I hope you get better quickly!!
  • fittous
    fittous Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough potassium, and tell your doctor about the pain as well. Especially if you have pain behind your knees or below them.