Hit my first plateau!

Options
Hi All,

Today I hit my first plateau and I am hoping to overcome it! I have lost 21 pounds since January and today's weigh in was the first time I had not lost any weight since I started 60 days ago. Anyone have ideas/tips for me? I thought today was one of my best weeks and I got the results I didnt want. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• kim4458
    kim4458 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Vicktery. Congratulations on your progress thus far. I'm in the same boat as you and also just hit my first plateau. Haven't lost any weight in two weeks and I've been mindful of my calories adn working out. I'm also looking to find out what I can do to change this!
  • jrojeck
    jrojeck Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Same here! I've hit my first plateau too. I'm not sure what's causing it. Maybe I'm not logging my calories correctly. I've kinda fallen into this habit of eating 100 - 200 over my daily on occasion the last few weeks. =/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Today I hit my first plateau and I am hoping to overcome it! I have lost 21 pounds since January and today's weigh in was the first time I had not lost any weight since I started 60 days ago. Anyone have ideas/tips for me? I thought today was one of my best weeks and I got the results I didnt want. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
    You hit your first STALL. A plateau is 6 weeks or more of no weight loss while being consistent with diet and exercise. Since it's your first time since you started, it's a stall. It's one week. Stay consistent and see what happens next week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition[/b
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I hit my first plateau at the beginning of February and didn't see the scale move until yesterday. I increased my calories to get it moving but now I'm really scared that if I keep them up then I'll gain, but if I drop them again I'll plateau again. Confused!
  • stefizzle9109
    Options
    I totally hear you! I hit my first STALL the 2nd week of february. Did not lose or gain an ounce. I worked out harder and monitored my diet more. Finally, I gave up working out for a week. Last week I dropped 4lbs. It was the happiest 4lbs ever. Unforunately, I hit another stall and did not lose any this week. But tomorrow is a new day, its all about tweeking your diet to your body's needs. :) Drink a ton of water!!! Keep up the good work :)
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i'm on my 2nd plateau & my trainer just has me switch my diet from calorie oriented to carb- oriented. i'm trying to stay around 40 carbs a day w/exercising 5days a week. try it & see how youdo
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I hit my first plateau at the beginning of February and didn't see the scale move until yesterday. I increased my calories to get it moving but now I'm really scared that if I keep them up then I'll gain, but if I drop them again I'll plateau again. Confused!

Let me make sure I understand you. You upped your calories, it broke your stall and you lost weight but you're afraid now it will make you gain? Why? Obviously it worked. Keep eating more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
    This is a great thread with women who eat more, lose more steadily, and have improved energy, mood, and fitness levels because of it. It's worth a read.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    To be honest I do not think that 1 day is a plateau. I think your body may just be getting used to the same routine. Try to mix up your routine, just temporarily to see if that helps.

Today I finally broke my approximate 4-4 1/2 week plateau. It was so hard to stay focused when all I wanted to see was results. Many of my MFP freinds said to do something to shock my body. So I ate way under my calorie goal for 1 day and quit exercising for 5 days. 4 days after resuming my exercising, my scale finally went down today. I have also been switching up my exercises. I have added bicycling and started doing my Wii Fit exercises again. Next I will go back to my workout DVD's.

There are so many things that you can try to get back to it, but tomorrow is another day and you may be down again. I would not get bummed out to bad about just 1 day.
  • dancerman
    dancerman Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Same for me

20lbs since jan 1. This week none. It is so disheartening

I find the lack of clear info in these boards to be confusing as well
    Many opinions. Contradictory ones

It is hard to figure out the best thing to do

I am about 10 lbs from my goal weight so I have
    Moved my intake to target 1.5 a week instead of 2nd lost

As a big guy 6' 195 the 1250 cal per day MFP suggests is quite a bit under the 1900 or so that they tell me my BMR is

So maybe this new 1520 is a better number to work with

I just wish there was some clear way to know for sure

Looking for less belly in the dancing
  • samanthajean001
    Options
    I have been losing weight for 6 weeks. Ok more accurately, I lost weight for 4 weeks putting me at 11 and the last 2 weeks the scale hasn't moved at all! I'm still working out a couple times a week and i'm sticking to the 1200 calories as much as possible. Most of the time I eat back some of my excercise calories but other times I don't. Its getting hard to stick to it since I'm not losing anymore. Any advice?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Don't have a large calorie deficit! 2lbs a week is NOT ideal for people under 200lbs. 1lbs a week is better. That means only 500 calories deficit from your TDEE (total daily calorie expenditure) and NOT your BMR. Undereating works only so long and can cause more issues of muscle loss and fat storage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition[/b
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Let me make sure I understand you. You upped your calories, it broke your stall and you lost weight but you're afraid now it will make you gain? Why? Obviously it worked. Keep eating more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
    This is a great thread with women who eat more, lose more steadily, and have improved energy, mood, and fitness levels because of it. It's worth a read.

Thanks I'll have a read. You understood me right - I'm worried cos eating more just seems so contradictory for what I'm trying to do. I lost 1kg each week consuming 1200cals but then upped to an average of 1600 and lost 1kg after 1 month. Like I said, it just feels contradictory. Don't think I'm going to see a difference on the scales this week and worried its the calorie increase that's to blame.