jobs?!

Options
liveyourlifex
liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
okay so whenever I'm home, i binge eat. i tell my mom not to buy these binge foods and she says okay. she doesn't buy them for a week and the next week, we have tons of crap. I'm usually the one to eat all this crap though. i figure that i binge because I'm bored, lonely, stressed, anxious, depressed, etc. i feel like i should get myself a job because working for money is better than eating and getting fat. i was wondering what jobs there are that DOESNT REVOLVE AROUND FOOD. i know people work at restaurants, diners, bakeries, ice cream shops, etc, but i really don't want to be around food. so far, i have a shop at the mall (retail), cvs/rite aid/walgreens, grocery super market and thats basically it lol... I'm 16 and I'm a junior in high school. thank you :)

Replies

• Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    i know i love my mac and iPods because i saw the title of this thread "Jobs" and immediately thought of Steve Jobs. lol. seriously though, there are so many more non-food jobs out there than food jobs. retail, deliver newspapers, cashier at any kind of store you can imagine...really the options are endless.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Get a job stocking shelfs or cashier job @ a grocery store.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    work in hollister as a model
    lol they call models the people that work in the front of the store...anyways i think you gotta look purrtty to work there though
  • kriggs1976
    kriggs1976 Posts: 117
    Options
    at a daycare after school...running with the kids with exercise you too!
  • chelseamtucker
    Options
    I work at a library re-shelving the books. It doesn't involve food, but heaps of walking :)
  • rrcaudill
    rrcaudill Posts: 87
    Options
    When I was 16, I worked in the childcare room at the YMCA. It gave me a free gym membership and I got paid for playing 3 or 4 hours a day. :) There's stuff out there. Just keep your mind open..
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard.. but just a suggestion.. try your hardest not to eat the junk food, then your mom won't "replenish" once it's gone. If you are the only one that eats it, if it's not gone then she doesn't need to buy it. One suggestion for a job is day care. You get to run around a play with kids. The only pre-caution is, during the summer when you feed lunch to the children, bring your own, practice self control, and focus on the kids. :) But other than that running around and playing with the children can be fun and help burn calorie and you don't have to worry about food in your face all day. You can also have the job as an after school one. Hope some of this helps
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    What sort of career are you interesting in pursuing? Look for intern type jobs in that area or even volunteer positions in your career field. Even volunteering gets you out of the house and away from food. Talk to people who have jobs that you think you'd someday like to get into, you never know when just talking to someone in that field can lead you to getting your foot in the door so that later you have the experience under your belt and a step up on the other candidates you'll be competing against when you start looking for that dream job. Focus on your future and where you'd ideally like to go.
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Is the concern money or just boredom?

Since you're still in high school I assume at 16 why don't you try joining some clubs. Band, dance crew, sports, spanish club, debate club, anything! My best memories from high schools are the friends I made in these clubs. Plus they would look good on potential resumes/ applications in the future :)
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Actually, working around food made me LOSE weight. During high school, I worked at Mcdonald's. I was sooooo sick of smelling the fries and burgers that all I would eat on break was salads. I went from a size 11 to size 7 during the year I worked there!!!

Flash forward to today--->yeah, I've fallen victim to their poison again, lol!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    volunteer work is always plenty and looks great on your resume too.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Record stores, jc penny, sears, home depot, walking dogs, there are alot of jobs that dont revolve around food. If nothing else, open the yellow pages and look in there.