New and have questions

Options
I've been exercising for more then a year now. I had my daughter Sept 2010. I am now back to around a size 12, but 185 pounds. I am 5'4''. I do have hypothyroidism, but am on medication for it. I exercise every single day without fail. Walking, jogging, sit ups, push ups, that type of stuff. My weight loss has just hit a dead end. I started tracking my calories here, not going over basically eating exactly what I ate before I was tracking. I measure everything, I do not over estimate or gorge myself. I have not lost an ounce or and inch anywhere. My measurements are currently 43-35-44.

What am I doing so wrong? I am doing everything exercise wise I am capable of without giving myself more stress fractures. Time wise I am a sahm with no outside or spouse help, so exercise wise I am already doing the max I can do of about 1-2 hours a day. Eating any less and I am starving. Eating any more and I pile on the weight.

Every day when I log my protein goes over and my carbs are way under. I don't have myself on any sort of special diet., why does the food tracker have what seems to me so many carbs built in. Am I wrong that eating lean protein is going to give me the energy I need.

Replies

• ahoov72
    ahoov72 Posts: 20
    Options
    Have u tried seeing a nutritionist? or maybe getting ur thyroid checked again?
  • MisStarr_83
    MisStarr_83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi. I looked up the effects of extra protein in one's diet. The extra protein is turned into fat. Also it makes your kidneys work harder. That is why they tell people on dialysis too cut protein.
  • babybluefire
    babybluefire Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have not seen a nutritionist, but I do home make 99% of our meals and they are fairly healthy as far as protein, carbs, fiber, green and orange veggies and what not. I do eat way more veggies then fruit though. I do not eat anything sugary, processed type food and baked goods/ candy are all out... I gave them up for lent, but I never went over board on them before.

I am due sooner then later for my thyroid blood draw. I have to call about that soon. I do wonder if it is a medical issue because I even ask my spouse and family members about my diet and exercise and it baffles them as well. Meaning I am not eating and forgetting to write it down. It just feels like I am defying the laws of math. I burn more calories then I take in, I should be loosing weight.
  • babybluefire
    Options
    But I am not gorging myself on protein, its spread all over the day. Plus if I still take in less calories, no matter the type shouldn't I be loosing weight. It seems really odd to try and fill up on carbs to get thinner. When I try and eat less protein I get weak and shaky and exhausted and my blood sugar plummets. I don't know how I could possible replace it with carbs and not expect the reaction to get worse.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    With the amount you work out, you should probably be getting more protein. I have very much the same stats as you, except you're a touch smaller than me (5'4", 186lbs, size 14). I'm hypothyroid, and I'm on a high protein diet. Most people who suffer from hypothyroidism are carb sensitive, and it's probably better for you to go heavier on the protein than MFP suggests. I have about 40% of my calories from protein as my goal. I try to make 90 grams most days.

Being hypothyroid, weight loss can be extremely difficult. Exercise is a must, and eating back the calories will more likely make you gain than help you lose. I eat my exercise calories back no more than once a week. I've stalled out too, but I'm also doing some serious exercise to build up my muscle mass. I started REALLY dropping weight when I start lifting weights. Cardio is great, but I don't lose unless I do strength training. The muscle will burn more calories to maintain than fat does, so it really helps boost your metabolism.

If you want any more information about a good diet for hypothyroidism, check out Mary Shomon's book, the Hypothyroid diet. It is well worth the price. It's really helped me understand how to adjust my diet for weight loss.

Oh, and you can feel free to add me as a friend!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    1. Check with your doctor on the thyroid stuff.

2. Check your heart rate during your cardio to make sure you are in target fat buring range.

3. Lift weights.

4. Look at ways to eat cleaner. You are under on your calories. Look for ways to eat more clean foods instead of diet foods. I don't think diet foods always work that well. I think eating fruits and veggies, carefully prepared lean meat, and a few complex carbs works better, for me anyway. I can tell by the way I feel buring that off.

Just my thoughts. Take it or leave it. This is a hard thing to do. Remember that your are doing good things for your body, even when the scale doesn't show it.
  • kristinkid
    kristinkid Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This sound familiar. I had the same problem until just recently. Started doing Jillian Micheals workout, only about 30 minutes so very easy to do will a toddler running around, ask me how I know. Also, changed up my diet. Added more fruit, B vitamins and stopped eating for that were process with ingredients that I couldn't read. I have notice an amazing change in my body and energy level. Good luck to you, hope this helps, I know everyone is a little different.
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist, but I've been at this a while. I just peeked at your diary and you are consistently doing all the right things. I am curious about your sugar though. Just for kicks, will you take a look at your sugar to see where it lands most days? I know the theory that it shouldn't matter what kind of carbs or calories you are getting, but it does for me.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what the doc says and any other helpful info you come across. :)
  • Kristin2984
    Options
    I would try changing your workouts. Can you get to a gym for a kickboxing or aerobic class? I always find some outsider telling me how to exercise makes me work out so much harder. even when i think im in shape, a class setting always makes me realize i could workout harder! You stated that you are working out at your max, every day, 1 to 2hours.... I don't mean to sound critical but that doesn't seem realistic for a woman of your height and weight. Working at a max for two hours would be really hard for even an extremely fit person that is not struggling with weight loss. Food is easier to measure so you know if you are being real with your diet or not but I would say how hard you exercise is a bit harder to really measure. Try a new exercise class, even if it's only one or two times. Maybe it will help motivate you to step up your exercise routine just a little more.
    Good luck to you! Remember you are on the right track. You are getting healthier each day even if the scale isn't showing your hard work yet!
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    1. Check with your doctor on the thyroid stuff.

2. Check your heart rate during your cardio to make sure you are in target fat buring range.

3. Lift weights.

4. Look at ways to eat cleaner. You are under on your calories. Look for ways to eat more clean foods instead of diet foods. I don't think diet foods always work that well. I think eating fruits and veggies, carefully prepared lean meat, and a few complex carbs works better, for me anyway. I can tell by the way I feel buring that off.

Just my thoughts. Take it or leave it. This is a hard thing to do. Remember that your are doing good things for your body, even when the scale doesn't show it.

^^^ this ^^^
  • babybluefire
    Options
    I would try changing your workouts. Can you get to a gym for a kickboxing or aerobic class? I always find some outsider telling me how to exercise makes me work out so much harder. even when i think im in shape, a class setting always makes me realize i could workout harder! You stated that you are working out at your max, every day, 1 to 2hours.... I don't mean to sound critical but that doesn't seem realistic for a woman of your height and weight. Working at a max for two hours would be really hard for even an extremely fit person that is not struggling with weight loss. Food is easier to measure so you know if you are being real with your diet or not but I would say how hard you exercise is a bit harder to really measure. Try a new exercise class, even if it's only one or two times. Maybe it will help motivate you to step up your exercise routine just a little more.
    Good luck to you! Remember you are on the right track. You are getting healthier each day even if the scale isn't showing your hard work yet!

I spend an hour at least on the treadmill walking, jogging or outside. Then I do my push ups, sit ups, ect. I horseback ride and go hiking in addition to anytime I spend on the treadmill or jogging outside. I am most definatly never going under an hour a day. That is just exercise I count as exercise, I have not been counting house work, yard work, barn work and what not.

I was in CAP as a teen, lost of exercise to keep up. I worked as a landscaper threw my fist pregnancy, I still do barn and yard work without help. I am not exactly a stranger to working hard physically.
  • babybluefire
    Options
    oh and joining a gym is way out of the question. I live no where close to one, its an extra expense, I already spend 1-2 hours on myself per day, I just dont have the extra time to add driving to and from on top of that.
  • babybluefire
    Options
    I am not cheating on my diet, I am not lying by any means on my exercise. I do the max of what I am capable of doing every single day. I exercise till I am in PAIN and can barely walk. I go to bed so hungry I cry.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing to do is speak to your dr. Thyroid problems can change over a short space of time so it might be that youre current dose/medication just isnt cutting it.

I havent looked at your diary as i'm on my phone but make sure youre not undereating considering all the work youre doing. Too low and weightloss can stall. Eat back at least half of your exercise calories.

Do you use food scales... If not get some. Its easy to misjudge without them.

Keep on doing what youre doing, logging everything, the good, the not so good and the downright ugly because drs are more likely to take notice when logs are present....so even if you dont lose you'll have that to thrust under their noses.