type 2 diabetes

Options
I recently found out I have type 2 diabetes, trying to diet and exercise. I love this website, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the recommended intake should be for Carbs?

Replies

• saxnviolin
    saxnviolin Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes and I try to keep carbs at less than 100g every day. (1200 calorie diet for me)
  • imoge
    imoge Posts: 3
    Options
    Is your sugar good in the am?
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Go to dlife.com they have all kinds of recipes, information, hints for success and.. everything! Take some time and explore.
  • saxnviolin
    saxnviolin Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My sugar fluctuates but it ranges around 130 in the am which is still a little high even with all my exercise. Sugar goes down when I lower carbs .
  • imoge
    imoge Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you!! I will check it out
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    See a dietician. It depends on a number of factors, including the severity of the disease, age, gender, weight and so in. Even better: attend diabetes education classes. You will be able to consult with a dietician, as well as learn a lot about how to deal with it. It's a bit scary at first, but with proper management, including diet and exercise, you can keep your diabetes under control.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I recently found out I have type 2 diabetes, trying to diet and exercise. I love this website, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the recommended intake should be for Carbs?

Type two here--for me, 50 or less effective carbs per meal, 15 or less per snack. Those were the recommendations from my doctor and my nutritionist based on my situation. My A1c is down to 5.4%, and my diabetes is wholly diet and exercise controlled. I test twice a day.

Edited to say that my am/fasting blood sugar is around 86 most mornings, my post-exercise tends around 70, and my post-meal can be anywhere from 110-130, depending upon what I have to eat.

Kris
  • pcuritz
    pcuritz Posts: 2
    Options
    I also have just been diagnosed as T2D. I am reading a book by Calvin Ezrin and Robert Kowalkski called "The Type 2 Diabetes Diet Book". On page 69 they recommend 20-30 grams (max 40 grams) per day during the weight loss phase of their diet. I have had a quick flick through the stabilization and maintenance sections of the book and I have not seen any adjustment to those numbers.
    As I said I am only just starting to look at my diet and am probably being overly careful but I have not yet got close to those numbers. My doctor recommended to me that i get closer to them as the carbs give you energy and are an important part of your diet.
    Hope this helps.
    PC
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Type two here--for me, 50 or less effective carbs per meal, 15 or less per snack. Those were the recommendations from my doctor and my nutritionist based on my situation. My A1c is down to 5.4%, and my diabetes is wholly diet and exercise controlled. I test twice a day.

Edited to say that my am/fasting blood sugar is around 86 most mornings, my post-exercise tends around 70, and my post-meal can be anywhere from 110-130, depending upon what I have to eat.

Kris

Can you explain the effective carbs? I'm type 2, diagnosed last June, I'm doing really well but not as good as you. My A1C is 5.8, and fasting in the a.m. is about 110 to 115. I was recently taken off of glipizide because of extreme lows, but I'm still on Victoza, which essentially just slows emptying of the stomach and digestion.
  • waldenfam2
    Options
    See a dietician. It depends on a number of factors, including the severity of the disease, age, gender, weight and so in. Even better: attend diabetes education classes. You will be able to consult with a dietician, as well as learn a lot about how to deal with it. It's a bit scary at first, but with proper management, including diet and exercise, you can keep your diabetes under control.

For myself, the dietitian route didn't help me besides teaching me portion control. The one at my doctors office recommended a way higher carb intake than I'm comfortable at, and didn't differentiate between 'good' carbs and 'bad' carbs. When I was following the American Diabetic Associations diet plan my after meal sugars were still hitting the 180s and fasting in the morning was over 130. However, this is my own personal experience :smile:
  • nikkirojo
    nikkirojo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed a year ago with Type 2 diabetes. It does all depend on what your sugar numbers are alike. My sugars have always ranged, with one or two exceptions, within the 80's to 90's fasting and 90- 140 post meals. I basically added more whole grains to my diet and watched my portions. For me, it's been hard to count carbs so I found a set of spoons that have the recommended servings for carbs, vegetables and meat. I try to use vegetable in every meal. Example, I may have an egg white in the morning with red, yellow and green peppers. I usually add a mixed green salad to my lunch daily. If you are like me, sweets can be a problem. Just about everything has a sugar-free version and it's not half bad so I'm still able to enjoy certain things. Talk to your doctor and a nutritionist, see if your sugars are high or controlled and go from there. Most of all, just exercise the right judgement.
  • Thriceshy
    Options

Kris

Can you explain the effective carbs? I'm type 2, diagnosed last June, I'm doing really well but not as good as you. My A1C is 5.8, and fasting in the a.m. is about 110 to 115. I was recently taken off of glipizide because of extreme lows, but I'm still on Victoza, which essentially just slows emptying of the stomach and digestion.

Roughly, the point of effective carbs is knocking the fiber off the carb count, i.e., a lavash bread that might have 14 grams of carbs per sheet would only have 8 effective carbs because of the six grams of fiber. I guess, in a nutshell, it's knocking off those carbs which are indigestible. Some folks swear by it, others swear it's BS, but it works for me, and encourages me to pack in a lot of fiber.
  • waldenfam2
    Options
    Hmmm, I've heard of that before, but had forgotten what was taken off of the carbs. I'll have to look at my oatmeal I eat in the morning, that's the meal I'm having the most problems with. My sugar can sometimes spike to 160's and I'm definitely not happy with that number.
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Hmmm, I've heard of that before, but had forgotten what was taken off of the carbs. I'll have to look at my oatmeal I eat in the morning, that's the meal I'm having the most problems with. My sugar can sometimes spike to 160's and I'm definitely not happy with that number.

It's amazing, the things my body sometimes decides are "bad." The day after I was diagnosed, I had a sandwich with my husband's homemade bread. This bread is absolutely amazing--so "whole-grain-y" it hurts, enough fiber to fix a constipated elephant. I thought it would be fine, but instead, it spiked me to 200, which was shocking to me. That was the end of me and hubby's bread--we tried slicing it so thin it was barely usable, but it still did a number on me. I use Pepperidge Farms light oat or Sara Lee's Delightful whole grain now, and that works just fine for me. I can eat 80 carbs worth of pasta, sauce, salad, and julienned veggies and be fine (around 120), but 80 carbs of Popeye's chicken puts me up around 160 or higher.

I'm still learning, I guess. Surgery last week made it very exciting--blood sugar 190 that night (after a normal meal, one that usually lands me up around 120) and blood pressure right around 75/42. The only sure-fire way for me to keep my blood sugar down is to stay below 50 carbs per meal, and even then, that meal's got to have some fiber and some protein--if I eat 50 carbs worth of Cadbury Fruit and Nut, my sugar will get up into the 130s or higher.
  • elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes as well. I am currently on an insulin regime as well as oral medications for it. I am working to get rid of those. Thus far, I've been able to elimiate one set of oral meds from my daily routine as they were causing extreme lows overnight. I'm hoping I've found the right balance of diet, exercise, and insulin for now until I can shed some lbs! Just make sure that you figure out those "Good" and "bad" carbs. They really make a difference for me too. If I ate a slice of white bread, BET that would make my sugar spike....but eating two slices of whole grain wheat....it may go up some, but it doesnt jump and stay up because tehre is enough fiber in the bread to balance it all out. Finding the right balance of macros (carbs, protien, fiber, fats) will set you up for sucess!