Artificial Sweeteners and Reduced Fat Products

Options
Hi,

Just curious to know with all the press and hype about lower sugar and lower fat diets, how safe is artificial sweeteners and fat free products?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd much rather eat a natural sweetener such as real sugar or honey than an artificial one. Same with a lot of fat free products - in dairy items, they often add thickeners to replace the fat, and other low or fat free items can have higher amounts of sugars, sodium etc, so make sure to read the label.

But for me, I'll eat a smaller amount of a natural sugar or fat than anything artificial.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    keep in mind that some fats are good. omega 3.6.9, faxeed, nuts. fish oils.
    for sweeteners, i'm not a big fan of artificial sweeteners.
  • usafcbcsgrl
    usafcbcsgrl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fat taste good and it is not bad for you in moderation. Fat free foods have so much additional stuff added to make them still taste good it is better to just use the regular stuff.

Sugar has about 16 calories a tea spoon, and doesn't come with all the risks associated with artificial sweetners
  • ksm5
    ksm5 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback! I am wondering about the risks vs the benefits...especially on the sweeteners. Both sweeteners (most) and sugar can impact glucose readings. Moderation has to be key! :-)