whey and bowel movements?

Hi all,

I just started using the chocolate whey powder 3 days ago and have had one each day but am finding that as soon as I finish drinking it I am running straight to the bathroom to take a number two. And am taking 3-4 numbers twos per day, compared to the one per day I used to have. Has anyone else had this problem?

I am not lactose intolerant.

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    dairy is evil. not just the lactose, the WHEY and the casein.

Watch your skin. That stuff is likely to ravage it with acne.

beware, beware, beware.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    I use Optimum Nutrition whey protein here and there. It hasn't had any such adverse effects for me.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member

beware, beware, beware.

Hm.

I think this might be an individual thing since I drink them (and so does my boyfriend) and we don't have acne issues or any other problems. Just because it happens to you doesn't mean it'll be like that for all everyone.

I don't find dairy to be "evil" at all. Why do people label certain foods "evil" simply because it doesn't agree with them? Should I label shrimp evil because I have an allergic reaction to it? Of course not. It isn't "evil" - it simply doesn't agree with my body. So, while dairy may not agree with YOU - that doesn't make it "evil".
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member

beware, beware, beware.

Hm.

I think this might be an individual thing since I drink them (and so does my boyfriend) and we don't have acne issues or any other problems. Just because it happens to you doesn't mean it'll be like that for all everyone.

I don't find dairy to be "evil" at all. Why do people label certain foods "evil" simply because it doesn't agree with them? Should I label shrimp evil because I have an allergic reaction to it? Of course not. It isn't "evil" - it simply doesn't agree with my body. So, while dairy may not agree with YOU - that doesn't make it "evil".

It's not the dairy as I drink milk and usually eat yogurt every day.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member

beware, beware, beware.

Whey isolate can be practically lactose-free, so if she's drinking the right type of protein then there wouldn't be a lactose intolerance issue.

I have lactose sensitivity -- and I also have a rather large chocolate protein and almond milk shake every night before bed. No ill effects, and no "ravaging" of acne.
  • sleepytexan

You have just dramatically increased the quantity of your intake, and concentrated the dairy protein, whey. Google.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member

beware, beware, beware.

Hm.

Have you ever had issues with consuming dairy?

If not, then I'm guessing that isn't the problem. Most people who lactose issues show signs of it when they consume small quantities (my sister is lactose intolerant and can not even eat a string cheese without a problem). What brand of powder did you buy?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member

beware, beware, beware.

Hm.

Have you ever had issues with consuming dairy?

If not, then I'm guessing that isn't the problem. Most people who lactose issues show signs of it when they consume small quantities (my sister is lactose intolerant and can not even eat a string cheese without a problem). What brand of powder did you buy?

aussie bodies protein fx
  • sleepytexan
    from Mayo Clinic website:

Whey protein may cause colic in infants, increased bowel movements, nausea, thirst, bloating, cramps, reduced appetite, tiredness, headache, fasciitis, swelling of the arms and legs, skin reactions, and severe disability.

Avoid long-term excessive intake because it may cause kidney damage or bone loss.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/whey-protein/NS_patient-wheyprotein/DSECTION=safety

there are other articles you can find; that's just one.

If it doesn't agree with you, probably you shouldn't consume it.

blessings.
  • Jackdog89
    Jackdog89 Posts: 57 Member
    Hi all,

I just started using the chocolate whey powder 3 days ago and have had one each day but am finding that as soon as I finish drinking it I am running straight to the bathroom to take a number two. And am taking 3-4 numbers twos per day, compared to the one per day I used to have. Has anyone else had this problem?

I am not lactose intolerant.

I had the same problem, look for protein that has digestive enzymes in it. It will help especially if you have a sensitive stomach. Here is the brand I used to use. http://www.amazon.com/Wellements-Pro-Rated-Protein-Supplement-Chocolate/dp/B000K7H5S8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Hope this helps. ;)
  • sleepytexan

not sure if your snark is helpful to the OP's original point . . . which indicates that SHE is having a problem, but I'm delighted it works for you.
  • marvinsanchez
    marvinsanchez Posts: 10 Member
    I had a similar issue when I used a brand that was made up of mostly Whey Concentrate. I switched to Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex and didn't have a problem at all.

Maybe you should get a small bottle of a different brand of protein...and keep a close eye on their protein blend.
  • marvinsanchez
    marvinsanchez Posts: 10 Member
    What brand are you using?
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    It may not be the whey, but something else in the mix. I would definitely stop using it if it's causing problems for you. I use Herbalife products for extra protein and they do a good job with balance and you can customize the meals to fit your protein needs. Good luck.
  • Depending on when a person started dieting ( or changing their food habits is a better term) could also answer the multi poo issues.

If a person that has had a long term diet high in residual sugars or sugars they could have been feeding Candida (yeast). Once we go off the sugars and replace them with deep green leafy veggies and coloured veggies we then reduce the amount of sugar in the digestive tract for the Candida to feed on.

Then the Candida dies. The waste caused from this death is toxic and causes gas and rumbly gut and looser stools from softer and more plentiful re occurances to diarrhea. Once the Candida is out of the system the symptoms usually stop.

Only you know how long you have been on a low sugar lifestyle. If it is recent think Candida, if it has been a while since you ate lots of sugar then figure you are not handling the whey. Rice protein powder is a good alternative if you feel you must use them.
  • As someone who only ever does no.2's weekly/fortnightly I'd love to have this problem! I use the same stuff as the OP and have had no problems.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member

If it doesn't agree with you, probably you shouldn't consume it.

I agree, but a blanket statement that "dairy is evil" does not seem very useful, as many have no problems with it at all. OP would be wise to experiment and try to isolate whether it is something about that particular protein mix which is the issue.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member

beware, beware, beware.

Whey isolate can be practically lactose-free, so if she's drinking the right type of protein then there wouldn't be a lactose intolerance issue.

I have lactose sensitivity -- and I also have a rather large chocolate protein and almond milk shake every night before bed. No ill effects, and no "ravaging" of acne.

^^^this

google 'whey protein ISOLATE' it is 95-98% pure protein, and an excellent choice for lactose sensitive people

then

google 'whey protein CONCENTRATE' that is only 75-85% protein, this causes the bowel upset that lactose sensitive people experience

I am lactose sensitive, and have been using NOW foods Whey protein ISOLATE (unflavored) and mix it with organic soy milk. I have never had any issues, The unflavored gives me more versatility for 'mix-ins' I can add a teaspoon of cocoa powder if I want, mix it in OJ (mmm ice+OJ+powder+vanilla=orange julius)
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member

beware, beware, beware.

^^^this

I would stop now, before you have to start meeting your dealer under some bridge. This stuff is no joke, it will ruin your life. The state will take your kids your SO will leave you. Soon you will be living shelter to shelter as your life quickly spins out of control.