How do you Southern Texans do it?

Options
I have been traveling to San Antonio weekly for business for the past month or so, and will continue to for the remainder of the year . . . this has proven problematic to my diet, because the Mexican food there is abundant and AWESOME! :happy:

I am trying to work out in the hotel as much as possible but I am working long hours with the client and they are feeding me oodles of yummy Mexican treats . . . I really think if I lived in TX I'd be as big as the state! My days back home in Boston are going to have to be super disciplined to survive! :ohwell:

Replies

• CubLub63
    CubLub63 Posts: 12
    Options
    I hear ya! I'm a born and raised South Texan, but so far I've managed to lose 20 lbs. I'm not a super strict diet, so I allow myself to have some of that DELICIOUS Tex-Mex once in a while. A little bit never hurts!
  • bikegirl777
    Options
    Mexican food is the reason I am here. For Christmas and New Years, I traveled around Mexico and spent a few weeks on the beach with my family. Yummy Mexican food in generous proportions, gallons of beer, tequila and mezcal and hours of sunbathing make for a fantastic vacation. But I came home heavier than I'd ever been in my life. I still think it was worth it.
  • dcrump
    dcrump Posts: 13
    Options
    Born and raised Texas southern and I can relate to the food. I traveled to Texas for once a month since Feb and I gained back nearly 20 lbs within those months from eating so much there. I do miss Texas but over eating is a related problem in my loving state. I am now back home permanently and I am trying to get rid of those extra lbs I put on.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greatings! I was born in San Antonio...here's how we do it::

Eat at restaurants that do not use lard
    Don't eat flour tortillas...stick with corn
    order chicken entrees
    omit or go light on the cheese
    order childs plate or ala carte

Good luck!
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    Thanks! I forgot to mention the Tequila . . . I have stumbled (literally) upon some fantastic margharitas, too!

FatDancer . . . Any restaurant suggestions that don't use lard? Not sure how to determine that . . .

I'm loving getting to experience a new a part of the country, but I definitely hope to keep the weight in check while I'm there! :) Thanks, all.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options

FatDancer . . . Any restaurant suggestions that don't use lard? Not sure how to determine that . . .

Ask them what they use to refry their beans and to fry their tortillas!

Booze is major calories...skip the chips!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    We peeps from Southern Texas have the best condiment ever. It is our secret weapon for combating bland food with health and low calories.

SALSA!!!

Dump enough salsa on something and you'll hardly miss the cheese. Plus, it's got tomatoes and onions and herbs. The only pitfall is salt, so you find a fresh one.

I eat Mexican. I LOVE it. Stuff I do:

- Corn instead of flour tortillas
    - Hold the cheese (or serve it on the side)
    - Order fajitas and stick to 1-2 tortillas and condiments on the side.
    - Request the meat be prepared with minimal oil
    - Go for black or pinto beans instead of refried
    - Hold the rice
    - Go wild with salsa
    - Go moderate (but no need to abstain from) guacamole
  • amLabrada
    amLabrada Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've lived in Texas all my life, and Mexican food is one of my major weaknesses, too.

I try not to eat Mexican food very often, that's about it. I only eat it twice or so a month, so I get my cravings out and still stick to my diet for the most part. I just exercise on the days that i eat Mexican (usually in the morning). I LOVE the food here, it's hard sometimes, but I just space out my splurge days for those yummy dinners.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    We moved to Texas 2 years ago. I was amazed at the number of restraunts-fast food-mom and pop palces- mexican places. I was also amazed at the number of overweight people. I do not like any of the mexican food I've tried here other than that darn queso dip. I once heard that Texas is 90% overweight people. Cindy :heart:
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    stick to "naked fajitas" and i usually ask for extra veggies mmmmm............onions!
    or ask for corn tortillas instead of flour and try to say no the rice!
    Yes, SALSA is your best friend and mmmm the guac!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    We moved to Texas 2 years ago. I was amazed at the number of restraunts-fast food-mom and pop palces- mexican places. I was also amazed at the number of overweight people. I do not like any of the mexican food I've tried here other than that darn queso dip. I once heard that Texas is 90% overweight people. Cindy :heart:
    Interesting statistic. I thought Montana was bad! 50% of the population are overweight here. 1 out of 2 people you see are overweight-so it's easy to lose perspective on your size. I think it's our freezing weather that makes people (who aren't ski bums) stay inside and be less active.
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Interesting statistic. I thought Montana was bad! 50% of the population are overweight here. 1 out of 2 people you see are overweight-so it's easy to lose perspective on your size. I think it's our freezing weather that makes people (who aren't ski bums) stay inside and be less active.
    I know what you mean about the cold weather. We moved from N.E Ohio. Right smack dab in the middle of the snow belt. I would lose weight then when winter hit slowly start gaining it back. I find it hard to understand how in Tx where it's hot and sunny most of the time people are so overweight. Cindy :heart:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to understand how in Tx where it's hot and sunny most of the time people are so overweight.

Because it's so hot and sunny! Seriously, have you tried to jog in 100 degree weather with 95% humidity? I remember when I rode horses...it was mandatory that you drank at least 1 bottle of water prior to riding. We'd have people passing out. One time I didn't drink all my water. I got off the horse and suddenly felt both freezing cold and burning hot, and the ground was swimming.

The answer is find a cool gym. But northerners can do that just as easily.

But yeah, the heat drives people indoors. And to places that serve icy treats. Starbucks frappes and Cold Stone ice creams and whatnot.

When I run, I do so in the mornings. However, I handle heat a LOT better than many people I know.

And as with any place, the people are heavy because they overeat. We are hit by four dominant cuisines--Mexican, Southwestern, Cajun, and Southern. It's HARD to deny all those jambalayas, quesadillas, rancheros, and fried chicken. But people like me manage. We indulge occasionally and find ways to "health up" the unhealthy. I made some lovely oven-fried chicken the other night!
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    I find it hard to understand how in Tx where it's hot and sunny most of the time people are so overweight.

Because it's so hot and sunny! Seriously, have you tried to jog in 100 degree weather with 95% humidity? I remember when I rode horses...it was mandatory that you drank at least 1 bottle of water prior to riding. We'd have people passing out. One time I didn't drink all my water. I got off the horse and suddenly felt both freezing cold and burning hot, and the ground was swimming.

The answer is find a cool gym. But northerners can do that just as easily.

But yeah, the heat drives people indoors. And to places that serve icy treats. Starbucks frappes and Cold Stone ice creams and whatnot.

When I run, I do so in the mornings. However, I handle heat a LOT better than many people I know.

And as with any place, the people are heavy because they overeat. We are hit by four dominant cuisines--Mexican, Southwestern, Cajun, and Southern. It's HARD to deny all those jambalayas, quesadillas, rancheros, and fried chicken. But people like me manage. We indulge occasionally and find ways to "health up" the unhealthy. I made some lovely oven-fried chicken the other night!
    I don't jog yet but I do get out and walk 5 miles 6 days a week. I just try to walk early in the morning and late in the evening. I love this Texas weather ! We swim almost every day. I guess you can find over weight people wherever you go. :flowerforyou: