Question for long distance runners

I've been working on my distance running, I'm only at 6 miles but I would ultimately like to make it to a half marathon. At what point do supplements (gels, drinks, blocks, bars, etc.) need to be taken? I'm sure everyone is a little different but would like to see at what mile runners supplement and with what. I think I'm still away from needing to, but just want to be prepared for when I get to that point. Thanks for the help!!!

Replies

• veganbabe133
    veganbabe133 Posts: 46 Member
    Im actually in a marathon training class at my college, and we started incorporating them at the 10 mile runs, so about at 10 miles
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Once you spent more than 60-90 minutes running. Our bodies can exercise for about an hour (90 minutes if you train like that regularly) on just water and (maybe) some electrolytes. But after that, you really need nutrition. And since you can only take in about 200-400 calories an hour without getting GI upset, what people generally do is start taking nutrition in right away if they know they are going to go over the 60-90 min mark rather than waiting until that point. If you wait, you may end up getting so far behind what you are burning that you bonk.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    I like to use gels anytime I run for more then a hour. If I'm running 10 plus miles I'll do a gel at mile 6 then one every 3 - 4 miles after. I've heard the run is to do a gel every 45 minutes. I use a pack of chomps in marathons after mile 18. Good luck.
  • journeytoahealthy51
    journeytoahealthy51 Posts: 89 Member
    Bump. I am at 7 miles, and wondered the same thing.
  • skaery7
    skaery7 Posts: 8 Member
    It varies by what you read, but I believe the most common is every 6 miles/1 hour of running. Also depends on how much you sweat, too. The gels go down easy, but it depends on what works for you. I do the blocks just because I don't care for the gel -- but I do have to slow down and take time to chew and drink. Keep up the great work and that's great you're at 6 miles! It's such a great feeling when you cross that finish line at that half -- so keep working at it and enjoy the run!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    I started working in gels (Gu Tri-berry FTW!) when I started extending my runs over an hour. There wasn't any guideline that told me to do that, only that I knew I was struggling at the end of the long runs. A friend suggested taking a gel along with me, downing it after about 45 minutes in, it made the second half of runs so much better and I haven't looked back since.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    I'm running 22 miles on Sunday and I'll be taking my clif bloks (they're awesome, so try them!!) at miles 7, 13 and 18.

Honey stingers chews are also pretty awesome. I am clearly not a fan of the gels.
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    It took me 67 minutes to run the 6 miles and I did feel icky afterwards, a little nauseated so maybe I will try something at the 6mile/1 hr mark when I plan on going for more than the 6. You guys are all awesome, great advice! I think marathoners are out of this world, you guys rock!!!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Once you spent more than 60-90 minutes running. Our bodies can exercise for about an hour (90 minutes if you train like that regularly) on just water and (maybe) some electrolytes. But after that, you really need nutrition. And since you can only take in about 200-400 calories an hour without getting GI upset, what people generally do is start taking nutrition in right away if they know they are going to go over the 60-90 min mark rather than waiting until that point. If you wait, you may end up getting so far behind what you are burning that you bonk.

This.
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member

This.

Good to know - I've been wondering the same thing as I'm training for my first half!!
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Interesting - I'm up to 8 miles now -takes me about 85 minutes, and I've never taken anything!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member

This.

Good to know - I've been wondering the same thing as I'm training for my first half!!

Half mary or Half Ironman? For a half mary I eat at 40ish minutes and have another GU on hand just in case. If I eat it it will be around 1:15:00
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I just got up to 10 miles last Sunday. On that run I took one Clif Shot Blok at around the 4 mi mark and a second at the 6 or 7 miles mark.

The week before I did 9.5 with nothing, accidentally. I forgot to zip my belt pouch and lost 'em before I could take 'em.

And on my 8.5 mile run I did two together right at the halfway point.
  • nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    I carry "fuel" if I will be running 90+ minutes. I use Clif Shot Blocks and I take 1-2 every at a time and chase it with water. I usually alternate that with coconut water. I take one or the other about every 30 minutes or as needed.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    I usually don't eat or drink if I'm only doing 10 miles ( unless it's hot out...then Gatorade water belt). Going to start protein shakes and energy beans plus Gatorade for longer distances.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    I usually don't eat or drink if I'm only doing 10 miles ( unless it's hot out...then Gatorade water belt). Going to start protein shakes and energy beans plus Gatorade for longer distances.
  • soulsong
    soulsong Posts: 1 Member
    I actually started taking along gels sooner than I needed to when I did my HM training to make sure my stomach was used to them before the race. A friend of mine had never tried one before race day and felt like she had a brick in her stomach for at least two miles after she ate one of the darn things. So I think I started with my 7 mile run - not to get me through the run, but to train my stomach along with the rest of me. It also gave me enough time to try out several products to see which I preferred.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Bottom line, we're all a sample size of one. Try some gels and/or sports drink and see if they help. Figure out what brands and flavors you like. All that matters is what works for each of us.

I'm an early morning, empty stomach runner. I rarely drink or eat anything from 10 miles or less. Last week I ran 12 miles with nothing.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I'm like arc- i'm an early morning, empty stomach runner. i'll don't even carry water if it's less that 1 1/2 hrs (I'll do a 7 mile run with nothing but a glass of water before i leave).

But I'm more careful with my long runs. I'll have a peanut butter and banana sandwich before I leave, then after 1 1/2 hrs i start taking the gels hourly. I don't know how much is psychological, but they certainly seem to give a bit of a boost. i also only take water to drink- i can't stand the sports drinks- i find them too sweet and they make my mouth feel weird and claggy.

i think that what you choose to take is dependant on what you like- i HATE the chews. but i can tolerate the gels (i prefer leppin, mainly because my hubby gets it for free from his work!). but it's all trial and error. if you're aiming for a half, i'd suggest that you start trialling stuff around now (at about the 45 min mark, and see how you feel for the last 30 mins of your run). then you'll know by race day what works for you and what doesn't.

good luck, and welcome to the club!! feel free to friend me if you like. i've been where you are ( i started running a year ago, from lamp post to lamp post, then c25k, b210k, then a half mary and now i'm training for a full). I know exactly where you are in your journey!