am i eating enough

Options
Ok so I just started a few days ago I haven't weighed or anything yet but I want to male sure I'm on the right path. After reading some other post I fear I may be eating to little calories. I eat about 1300 calories a day and burn around 400-600 in exercise mfp calls for me to eat 1270 a day should I eat more or am I ok I eat as healthy as I can and i find it difficult to eat the calories I do eat every day I have to make myself eat to get to that many and its not always the best food what should i do any pointers would sooo appreciated. And anyone feel free to add me I'm always looking for friends :)

Replies

• georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Your should be eating to your MFP goal + calories earned from exercise. MFP has already deducted enough calories for you to loose weight, even if you don't exercise. Maybe you should check your goal set up as well.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    eat 1600-1800 calories. and burn off 300-400. So you'll end up with around 1200 calories for your body to use to sustain itself
  • TRMite
    TRMite Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    not sure on the if you need to eat more question (my gut says a little more probably) but one good way to get some healthy calories is making a fruit Smoothie. I use frozen fruit, Non fat Greek yogurt, skim milk and TJs Soy Protein Powder. about 250 calories but lots of vitamins and such. easy to get down when you aren't hungry for a "meal". another option is the Muscle Milk drinks and such. Protein after a work out is a good idea so your muscles have fuel to recover, that's why they sale them as "recovery drinks" in gyms.

good luck!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    After you log exercise see how many calories MFP adds to your daily intake.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Your should be eating to your MFP goal + calories earned from exercise. MFP has already deducted enough calories for you to loose weight, even if you don't exercise. Maybe you should check your goal set up as well.

^ This

& I agree with TRMite about trying fruit smoothies and/or protein drinks. I find it hard to eat all my calories so I drink a lot of them. (OJ w/ breakfast, a fruit smoothie in the afternoon, milk w/ supper, sometimes an ensure, etc).
  • lancastermommy4
    Options
    Thanks yea I drink nothing but water so I'm gonna try the smoothies and milk at dinner I'm soo ready for a change but i want to do it right
  • nurseeduval
    Options
    I have hit a plateau after losing 11 pounds, with a goal of losing 30. I have the same question because I think I may not be eating enough calories either. Am I correct to say that I should be eating my origianal 1200 calories AND the calories I earn from exercise? I haven't been eating over 1200 because I figure if I eat the caloires I burned, I'm not losing weight.
  • tammyandzach
    tammyandzach Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating enough, when you check out your day MFP will tell you you are not eating enough.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    nuts are another good energy/fat source that are a bit higher in calories, also, try adding ground flax seed or chia to add some calories and a great source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids (they're great for you brain and heart and are VERY waist-line friendly). I'll add 2Tbsp flax to my oatmeal, it doesn't change the taste or texture but will help add about 60-90 healthy calories
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Check out the "women eating over 1800 calories" thread under "general weight loss" for lots of input on this topic. I found it helpful. I have some of the same questions!
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You should be eating your 1200 + whatever calories you burn during exercise that day. MFP calculates your loss into your daily allowance. Trust me 1200/day is not sustainable longterm, and your more likely to plateau.