Oatmeal, Steel Cut Oats- What do you suggest?

Options
dvm_meggles
dvm_meggles Posts: 19 Member
I love the idea of eating oatmeal or oats in the morning. I know the health benefits are great, and it is very filling. However, I just cannot bring myself to like oatmeal. I don't know if it is a consistency thing or what. It smells good to me, but when I go to eat it.... something changes :tongue: Right now, the only version I've been able to tolerate is Kashi vanilla oatmeal with raspberries stirred in (tolerate, not enjoy).

I'm hoping people would be willing to share versions that they really enjoy, especially if they had a similar problem finding something they liked. Any and all suggestions are appreciated :smile:

Replies

• v2embee
    v2embee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Put it in your smoothie. Makes it thick and filling. :-)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Personal favorite is the steel cut oats (not oatmeal flakes) flavored with a small amount of brown sugar, good cinnamon and dried cranberries.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    what is the difference between oat flakes and steel cut oats?
  • alliesun53
    alliesun53 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Personal favorite is the steel cut oats (not oatmeal flakes) flavored with a small amount of brown sugar, good cinnamon and dried cranberries.

THAT sounds delish. I just use steel cut oats, but a packet of truvia and cinnamon, and slice a banana into it. Keeps be full until lunch time.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Put it in your smoothie. Makes it thick and filling. :-)

I place two tablespoons in my smoothie other wise I just heat it up with low fat milk or soy milk and 1-2 tablespoons crasins on top
  • HuntingArpegius
    HuntingArpegius Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I enjoy steel cut oats with a tablespoon of organic raw blue agave sweetener and a tablespoon of cold-pressed flax oil :) so good! I actually crave it every morning.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    This recipe is awesome! It has more calories than usual but is absolutely delicious!

Baked Oatmeal
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 applesauce
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3 cups oatmeal
    1/2 cup cranberries ( I used craisins)
    1/2 cup raisins
    1 to 2 whole apples chopped up
    chopped nuts if desired

Spray 8x8 pan
    beat oil, sugar, applesauce, add eggs,
    milk salt, baking powder and oatmeal
    mix well
    add cranberries, raisins, apples and nuts

Sprinkle top with 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    and 1 teaspoon cinnamon mixed together

cover and refrigerate over night
    cook at 350 degrees for 35 minutes
    12 servings

Re-heat leftovers in microwave with a little milk.

219 calories, 37 carbs, 7 fat, 4 protein, 3 fiber, 7 calcium
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats. Brown them in the pot before adding water to soak overnight. In the morning cook with a grated apple, cinamon and nutmeg. Top with chopped pecans and maple syrop:)
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    what is the difference between oat flakes and steel cut oats?

I didn't write this, some smart guy did that has letters behind his name:wink:

I recommend choosing steel cut (Irish) oats over rolled oats because they digest more slowly than rolled ones. Like all other grains in whole or cracked form, steel cut oats rank lower on the glycemic index than rolled oats. The reason is that it takes longer for digestive enzymes to reach the starch inside the thicker pieces, slowing down its conversion to sugar.

As you probably know, the glycemic index is the measure of how quickly carbohydrate foods affect blood sugar. The higher on the glycemic index a food ranks, the more likely it is to cause spikes in blood sugar that over time can cause genetically susceptible people (many of us) to develop insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. Insulin resistance is associated with obesity, high blood pressure, elevated blood fats, and an increased risk of type 2 diabetes.

You can be pretty sure you're eating a whole grain with a low GI ranking if you have to chew it or can see the grains or pieces of grains in food products. The more your jaw has to work, the better. But when grains are processed, their surface area expands, allowing digestive enzymes easy access to their starch content.

While I recommend steel cut oats, rolled oats are still preferable to instant oatmeal, some brands of which contain partially hydrogenated oils, artificial flavors and colors, or unnecessary amounts of sugar and salt.

Andrew Weil, M.D.
  • lifeisahighway
    lifeisahighway Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    A yummy dessert type oatmeal I have made is: half a cup of old fashioned oats cooked, add 2 teaspoons of dark cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon of almond butter, one tablespoon of coconut flakes, then use whatever sweetener you like to sweeten it. Tastes like an almond joy. Yummy.
  • ohsweetcalamity
    ohsweetcalamity Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Steel cut all the way! They don't smush the grains like other oatmeal, and it gives it the consistency of risotto instead of babyfood mush. You can eat them alone, but if you need a push in the right direction I have some awesome oatmeal recipes. Try 1/4 c oats cooked with a sliced banana, 1/8 c toasted chopped walnuts, 1 tbsp maple syrup (the real stuff, not the flavored corn syrup), 1 tsp vanilla, a little salt and a big sprinkle of cinnamon. Banana bread oatmeal. To. Die. For.
  • ohsweetcalamity
    ohsweetcalamity Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A yummy dessert type oatmeal I have made is: half a cup of old fashioned oats cooked, add 2 teaspoons of dark cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon of almond butter, one tablespoon of coconut flakes, then use whatever sweetener you like to sweeten it. Tastes like an almond joy. Yummy.

Oh I WILL be eating that tomorrow. Sounds so good.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Oat flakes as in any of the quick cook, old fashioned or instant varieties are the oat kernel that has been steamed and rolled flat. You're effectively cooking it twice.

Steel cut oats are just the oat kernel cut in half, no other processing. It takes longer to cook but has texture and better flavor (in my opinion).
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats!! I like to use almond milk instead of milk or water - find it makes thicker and creamier. I just add honey and cinnamon to mine. I sometimes will add raisins but those are addicting to me so I don't buy raisins often :)
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    STEEL CUT (IRISH) OATS: >>>> TIPS:
    I switched to these a few months ago. (1) SOAK THEM OVERNIGHT; (2) DO NOT cook them in that same water; (3) FIRST.... bring your water to a full boil (4) Add the oats and stir frequently until it starts to boil again(5) TURN DOWN THE HEAT to simmer.
    (6) Cook slowly, stirring frequently, for a FULL 30 MINUTES.

Do this a day in advance then cool to room temperature and put it into good quality containers.

I often cook them with peeled, chopped fresh apple. I also add: cinnamon, freshly ground nutmeg, a little cardamom, pinch of cloves and ground ginger (Chai tea spice combo).

ONE PORTION: 1/2 to 3/4 level cup measure Warm your portion in the morning for a delicious, quickie breakfast.

Regular, quick and instant oatmeal has a very high GLYCEMIC INDEX.... steel cut oats have the lowest and helps you lose weight much better. And it will satisfy hunger cravings.

TO: Brittnay9: flax seed oil THINS THE BLOOD. Proceed with great caution (MegaRed capsules also functions the same). I had to have an MRI, brain scan last November and it revealed multiple MICRO BRAIN HEMORRHAGES.
  • cheyniemama
    Options
    I am with the poster who wrote about steel cut oats. I like the texture WAY better, less mushy and gooey. I had read that they digest more slowly, too, so that is a huge plus.

I like to make it with a little bit of almonds and dried cranberries...then it tastes like my favorite cookies, lol. And I also put vanilla and (sorry) but I use artificial sweetener...2 or more packets.

I used to use Splenda, but am moving on to Equal, due to more recent studies I have read (different subject, different debate).
  • fitzie63
    Options
    NEVER microwave steel cut oats!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I mix my oats with yogurt and add a banana or blueberries. I have just started having them over the last week!

I dislike oatmeal as well!
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    I found this recipe on another board about a month ago and now have this everyday for breakfast. I add cinnamon right in the water for cooking and extra water because it was too dry for my liking. I add some splenda when I reheat in the mornings. Yummy !

http://www.cookingwithjax.com/2011/01/apple-pie-breakfast.html
  • fitzie63
    Options
    I know Dr. Weil and attended many of his presentations to the cardiologists in Tucson, Arizona when I was a coronary care RN at the Tucson V A Medical Center. You may think he's smart... and, he is intelligent but is considered practicing off-the-wall, ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE.

He is, however, quite correct on the GLYCEMIC INDEX FACTORS related to steel cut oats and other varieties of what is commonly cooked and eaten for oatmeal.

WARNING: Be very cautious if you choose to follow Dr. Weil's off-the-wall "advice". You could eventually end up in the intensive care unit if you go "whole hog" on his advice.