Turning 21, healthy drinks!?

Options
I turn 21 next week and of course I can't wait to go out. BUT, I'm worried about drinking calories.
What's some low calorie drinks that you recommend when it comes to a night out?

***StoutGirl09***

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    healthy alcohol doesn't exist.
  • StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I understand that, and I shouldn't have put healthy in there, you are right.
    More so, Low calorie.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    most beers run 130 to 150 cals, mixed drinks if made with one once of alcohol and diet soda run 60 to 100 cals. so not too big of a difference
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    More so, Low calorie.

Michelob Ultra I think is 64 calories. Most hard liquor isn't too bad, so something like a Vodka and Diet Sprite / 7-Up wouldn't be horrible.

Just remember it's not just about the calories but the fact that alcohol messes with your metabolism.

Enjoy, be safe, be smart.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You turn 21 once. Have whatever the heck you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Diet soda if you mix with soda...stay away from the cream drinks and the fancy drinks with multiple liquors. Please drink water between! It keeps the alcohol from dehydrating you and you will be less likely to be sick. Remember every drink is calories and do not!!!! forget to eat. Alcohol on an empty stomach is a bad combination. Be safe and have a wonderful birthday!!! :drinker:
  • Kristin2984
    Options
    Stick to clear alcohol, like gin or vodka, mixed with club soda which has zero calories. Tonic is high in calories so avoid that. Avoid sour mix which is in most margaritas. Use fresh fruit for flavor, not juice. Ask for a tall so you get more mixer per shot of booze. I drink slower without a straw. Eat before you drink otherwise you will get really drunk and really hungry which equals a stop at a pizza joint at 2am. Not good.
    Happy birthday!
  • StoutGirl09
    Options
    Thank you!! :smile:
  • StoutGirl09
    Options
    Stick to clear alcohol, like gin or vodka, mixed with club soda which has zero calories. Tonic is high in calories so avoid that. Avoid sour mix which is in most margaritas. Use fresh fruit for flavor, not juice. Ask for a tall so you get more mixer per shot of booze. I drink slower without a straw. Eat before you drink otherwise you will get really drunk and really hungry which equals a stop at a pizza joint at 2am. Not good.
    Happy birthday!

This is what made me gain 30lbs when coming to college, so I've learned from that! No more pizza joints at 2am. NO going back there! Haha Thanks!!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Like said above, you only turn 21 once! Have a great time! Note...that mixed drinks with hard liquor and diet soda are better than like...juices, mixes, etc...girlie drinks are awful with cals! Gah, sucks they're my fave! But yeah, if you're truly that worried go w/ vodka/rum diet sprite/coke, etc or lite beers

Also, some places (like applebees) have light/diet margs that are between 1-200 cals
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm. I got nothing.

I suggest you make a single-serving smoothie, put a shot of vodka in it, and take 21 sips.

Of course...I get thrills out of bizarre situations.
  • caitmarshhh
    caitmarshhh Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I agree! Chances are other people will be buying you drinks so you won't really be choosing what you get anyways. When you look back on your 21st you want to remember having an awesome time, not being stressed about calories. Of course when someone asks you what you want to drink or you order yourself I would go with a diet soda mixed with hard liquor - usually about 60 - 90 calories a drink.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    More so, Low calorie.

Michelob Ultra I think is 64 calories. Most hard liquor isn't too bad, so something like a Vodka and Diet Sprite / 7-Up wouldn't be horrible.

Just remember it's not just about the calories but the fact that alcohol messes with your metabolism.

Enjoy, be safe, be smart.

Michelob Ultra is 95 calories (my favorite beer), Budweiser has a beer that is 55 calories (the name has 55 in it, but don't remember it exactly). I agree that you only turn 21 once. Enjoy and just try to make good choices. If your out try not to eat and drink together unless you plan ahead. Atleast for me my willpower isn't so good when I drink.

Have Fun!

[/quote]
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! I know this isn't a great suggestion for drinking at the bar, but when I'm with friends I usually opt for red wine. Or I'll get a white wine and make wine spritzers with some sort of zero calorie clear soda. Worry about that when you're 21 + 1 day though :)
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options

I agree! Chances are other people will be buying you drinks so you won't really be choosing what you get anyways. When you look back on your 21st you want to remember having an awesome time, not being stressed about calories. Of course when someone asks you what you want to drink or you order yourself I would go with a diet soda mixed with hard liquor - usually about 60 - 90 calories a drink.

Have fun (but be safe) for your 21st birthday. IF you are too worried about it, add an extra workout prior to celebrating. You will probably be dancing around a lot as well. My beer snob husband likes Bud Platinum which only has 110 calories.
  • EmilyHelene
    EmilyHelene Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A cape cod. Its vodka and cranberry juice. its around 200 calories. that's what I always get.
  • tmowen89
    tmowen89 Posts: 5
    Options
    The BEST thing you can drink is red wine.. but if you don't like wine.. vodka and soda water is the best, squeeze a little lime and your good to go. Try to stay away from mixing with fruit juices!!!
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I second the notions on only turning 21 once

Its one (possibly 2) night/s, haha - it won't undo ALL of your hard work, and you can get back on top in a week or two, no major setback.

Don't get so caught up in weightloss you forget to live :smile:
  • StoutGirl09
    Options
    To the person above. I really like this quote I might just put it on my profile!!!
    "Don't get so caught up in weightloss you forget to live":smile:

Thank you all for the birthday wishes and your right you only turn 21 once!!!
    Have a wonderful week MFP's!!
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just FYI no alcohol has "0" calories....

Alcohol detox drives the production of VLDL/Triglycerides in the liver and so it completely skips being metabolized and goes straight to fat. In moderation, this is never a issue.

However, on those bender nights alcohol has a much more devilish activity. The only way your body and metabolize and break it down is to steal essential molecules called pyruvate from its supply system of glucose.
    This means alcohol causes hypoglycemia. This is why everyone, no matter who you are, gets hungry and starves after drinking way too much! Very bad for a dieting person as it will undoubtedly induce a binge, especially if you don't eat before hand.

However, you only turn 21 once so enjoy it but don't be surprised by the side-effects...