People treating you differently?

Options
muffin_shufflin
muffin_shufflin Posts: 239 Member
Two of my closest guy friends have been hanging out with me less & less. When I actually saw them, I asked what was up & they told me it was because I don't drink anymore. Seriously?! You don't want to hang because i'm choosing not to feel like *kitten* & taking care of my body? If you wanna drink & eat Jack In The box all the time, cool. I don't judge. I don't try to tell you otherwise. But apparently taking care of yourself isn't cool anymore. I'm curious if something like this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    That's just a young male thing.... Not every male though. Sounds like maybe weren't as "real" friends as you may have thought. Better off surrounding yourself with like minded people maybe :)
  • muffin_shufflin
    Options
    You're probably right :) I was just amazed at their reasoning though. Of all things?
  • Natx83
    Options
    Or maybe they were crushing on you and weren't brave enough to tell you so just faded into background?
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Psh, some of my best firends never drink. If that was their sole reason to hang with you, they cannot be good friends. I know I can go out, my friends can drink, I don't and we still have a heck of a time!
  • Trinketona
    Trinketona Posts: 190
    Options
    I dont drink so I never get asked to go anywhere with my friends. lol Its ok it doesnt bother me. Those guys that you thought were your friends are not really your friends they should be happy that you decided to change your habits. Whatever :grumble:
    You'll meet friends that might have the same goals as you. :flowerforyou:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    That's just a young male thing.... Not every male though. Sounds like maybe weren't as "real" friends as you may have thought. Better off surrounding yourself with like minded people maybe :)

Lot of my female friends have done this as well.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I never drink, not now and not before... not for any particular reason (religious etc.) just because alcohol has always seemed like a waste of calories (and money) to me. I can go out and have fun drinking water!! It's all about the people you're with and the music. Anyway, it shouldn't be a big deal to them either that you don't drink! If they're your real friends they should accept and respect your decision.
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm more turned off by people congratulating me on my loss in person. Yeah, I'm doing well. I don't like getting complimented in person. It weirds me out. I don't want to think about my coworkers being so proud of me. I should be the one that's proud. They can congratulate me, but....eh. IT's so awkward,
  • missvmae
    missvmae Posts: 3
    Options
    It wasn't my male friends but mostly my girl friends, they don't want to hang out because I "make them look bad" because I would rather be active and out and about than sit and drink at bars like we used to. It wasn't like I would push my habits on to them I just wasn't joining in anymore and that made me less "Fun".
  • muffin_shufflin
    Options
    You guys are right. If they were real friends, they wouldn't let that stop them from hanging out with me. Eventually they'll realize they messed up, right? :ohwell:
  • muffin_shufflin
    Options
    It wasn't my male friends but mostly my girl friends, they don't want to hang out because I "make them look bad" because I would rather be active and out and about than sit and drink at bars like we used to. It wasn't like I would push my habits on to them I just wasn't joining in anymore and that made me less "Fun".

Exactly! I ask them to go for a run around the lake or go hiking with me, nope. They'd rather sit around & drink, apparently without me there lol
  • Natx83
    Options
    They are lame. Your cute as!

I never used t drink when I was younger, I did most of my going out and drinking in mid 20's. I used to go still with all my friends and have fun... I'd say half the time more fun as I wasn't hung over the next day. But now I'm counting my calories, I would rather eat food than drink lol
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    People I know - they don't treat me differently because they know that I'm an extremist, and if I put my mind to something I WILL do it. If I say "Mocktail" they won't **** with me :) They respect my diligence, but will support me if I start to crumble.

As for people I don't know - absolutely. I get more male (and female) attention. The male attention is a balance of being positive, self esteem boosting and just plain pervy. But it is what it is. Most of the female attention is *****y (girls are jealous at heart!) or, perhaps its genuine and my years and years of being bullied and viewing life cynically means I'm not receptive to the behaviour.

But for all this changed treatment - I look at my mind, my face, my body and I see the way I am changing and I think the change is worth it. No matter what people think.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Its a short term thing. Once people realise you're not gonna change and that is what you are, they will start to accept it. Just give it 6 months, it'll work itself out.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Sadly, this happened to me... with all of my friends. I have no friends because I chose health over drugs and drinking. Its really sad
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    You're young and people change.

It doesn't sound like you are doing so, but don't let people hold you back.

Your true friends will always be supportive of your bettering yourself.

I have a lot of friends who are into drinking (Im not), but there are still plenty of other things to do besides drinking...
    Most of the female attention is *****y (girls are jealous at heart!) or, perhaps its genuine and my years and years of being bullied and viewing life cynically means I'm not receptive to the behaviour.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say with the last part of your sentence. I just want to add as far as saying girls are jealous at heart, I would be careful about thinking that way. If you assume women as your "enemy," you could miss out on a lot of good, lifelong friendships.

Men might be really friendly while you are young and cute, but wait until you are older. A lot of men are just as bad as the women you are noticing -- just in a different way.
  • muffin_shufflin
    Options
    But for all this changed treatment - I look at my mind, my face, my body and I see the way I am changing and I think the change is worth it. No matter what people think.

Exactly! I look better & I feel great about myself. That's all that matters :)
  • muffin_shufflin
    Options
    They are lame. Your cute as!

I never used t drink when I was younger, I did most of my going out and drinking in mid 20's. I used to go still with all my friends and have fun... I'd say half the time more fun as I wasn't hung over the next day. But now I'm counting my calories, I would rather eat food than drink lol

I'd much rather eat my calories than drink them too