Calling all Couples and Families

Options
Hello out there. My husband and our family are turning the corner on our health.

We both have a large amount of weight to lose and are wondering if there are other families out there who are on this journey together.

Doing this as a family is a bit of a challenge, meeting everyones needs and keeping motivated as a group is not easy. You can easily get lazy in a group real fast. So maybe we can help each other out.

We are a family of 4, two kids 12 and 7.

Replies

• lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Andy and Beth, a beautiful young couple working towards a common goal and getting healthy together. They are good people. I admire, respect and :heart: them to pieces.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/58628-vacation-before-and-during-photos
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My children are all grown. My only regret in raising them is that I did not get healthy and teach them to live this way also.

Being the mom, you are really in control of the food and exercise for the day. DH may not have to do what you say, but the kiddos do!

I always have fruit on the table. At first I had to throw it out, but now not much gets wasted. If there are no chips or cookies............they WILL eat what is available. Most of the time they will even begin to like it and ask........hey mom where are the apples???

Schedule time for exercise for the family. It will bring you closer, and reduce stress. I pray your spouse is on board for this because that can really help.

We have a few family members on this site, and the ones doing this together have had wonderful results.

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • weightoffmom
    weightoffmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks. We could use all the help we can get
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Andy and Beth, a beautiful young couple working towards a common goal and getting healthy together. They are good people. I admire, respect and :heart: them to pieces.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/58628-vacation-before-and-during-photos

You know that is who I was thinking of Lynnie!:love:
  • weightoffmom
    weightoffmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I know we can only do this together. We have been married 19 yrs in Aug. We both have tried to lose weight before and have never been on the same page at the same time. So I have come to the conclusion we have to do this as a family unit.

We gained this weight as a couple. Both of us were over weight when we got together and steadily have gained more weight over the years.
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I was doing this on my own and it was really hard. My husband joined me in the end of December. Since then, I've lost 15 pounds and he has lost about 60 pounds. While it can still be hard and we still get into slumps it's a lot easier with somewhere doing it with you.

Our daughter is 10-months old. We're teaching her to like "healthy" food. She loves tilapia, salmon, chicken breasts, ground turkey, wheat bread, asparagus, broccoli, green beans, just about all fruits, and lots more. While she has had vanilla ice cream, she thinks dessert is fruit. We also want her to be active. Wer take walks and bike rides as a family.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It's myself and my 14 year old daughter doing it together. The only downside is since we both love food so much, when one of us gets an idea to eat something "bad", we kind of play off of each other and often end up making bad choices (like we just did...pizza). :tongue:
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    myself and my husband are in this together. I have tried to lose weight without him(because he wasn't ready to realize he needed to lose weight) but when he saw me losing the weight and how good I was feeling he decided to lose it too. He has lost all of his weight while I still have 25 pounds to go he still eats what I make him. We also have 2 daughters a 3 year old who eats how we used to(we're working on changing that. She is very very stubborn) and a 1 year old who has been eating healthy since she started eating finger food.

Good Luck to you and your family!!