what the h----

Options
Last week I weighed in on boots machines at 130lbs and 5'2.9, 25% body fat.

After sticking to an average of 1200 calories a day, and working out, and eating healthily (ok i had a blip mid-week, but i have accounted for that in my calories, and i did get back on track....) in a week I have (according to boots scales) gained FOUR lbs and 3% body fat, bringing me up to 134lbs and 28% body fat. Oh and according to the scales, my height is now 5'3.7 !!!

What the hell! what am i doing wrong? I am so upset and disheartened. :( i was not expecting to lose anything this week-maybe half a pound or a pound-but GAIN FOUR POUNDS????? also is it even humanly possible that someone can gain 3% body fat in a week?

Am i doing something wrong or do you think the machine is inaccurate?

Replies

• JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Whatever this machine is... I'm not sure. But anything that's telling you you've grown taller (assuming you're a full grown adult) I'd throw out the window.
  • Kali112
    Kali112 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i am 22 and my height has not changed since i was 16. lol
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate greatly day by day for a number of reasons: TOM, water retention, weather, mood, sleep patterns and sodium intake to name a few.

So ... don't just rely on the scale. How do your clothes fit? How do you feel? Do you track measurements?

Additionally, if you're using a digital scale, I would imagine that the increase in BF% is due to the weight increase. A more accurate way of tracking BF would be calipers.

And yeah, the height difference coming from a machine would make me pretty darn skeptical of THAT machine!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd literally toss it in the trash. Lol. No joke.
  • Kai85
    Kai85 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like the most reliable measuring device....

Sometimes though our bodies work in weird and miraculous ways. It will happen! Just give it some time. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do what you've been doing and gain 4 lbs of fat. My theory is it's not real weight. I have absolutely nothing to back this up it's just my thoughts. Best of luck
  • Kali112
    Kali112 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    the scale was one where you place your hands on a hand rest and it measures your body fat that way. i don't understand how a machine can measure body fat by your hands...but anyway...yes my clothes are fitting a lot lot better. I wish i was not so swayed by numbers! Anyway you are right-it is physically impossible to do what i am doing and not lose weight. I will stick with it (going on holiday in just over a month so i want to look as good as i possibly can by then)
  • pittfancbk
    pittfancbk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard not to freak out when you see that you gained 4 lbs in a week. I've had plenty of those days! ;) Whenever I weigh myself, I make sure my clothes that I have on are light, & I always weigh in w/ no shoes or socks on. So it could be the clothes you're wearing, or might just as well be the scale is inaccurate. I also agree that it could very well be something that happened w/ your sleep pattern for the week, & your exercising. Either way, keep cool, it was one week. If you know what you did wrong, then you know definitely not to do it before weigh-in next time. ;)