Treadmill vs Bike

Options
I despise the treadmill only because I have major shin splint. I was wondering, if there are any disadvantages of using the bike vs the treadmill?

I can do 10+miles on the bike no problem, but am I really getting a good workout in on the bike? Treadmill, after a mile I'm done.

Replies

• annieheavrin
    Options
    In my opinion, not really. I can go miles & miles on the bike on a pretty decent resistance and burn barely any calories. But when I get on the treadmill & run for 40-60 minutes, it may be less miles but it's a MUCH MUCH better workout. I also have bad shins and a bad knee from years of dancing/cheerleading but I just suck it up & keep running! I need the burn & that sweating - the bikes just doesn't cut it.
  • peppiee
    peppiee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Depends on how fast you're going. I'm a slow runner and fast biker, and my calorie burn is similar. BTW, for the shin splints get calf sleeves. (I like zensah) They sell them in running stores. If my legs are bothering me, I will even wear them all day and find that I get relief very quickly.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Get an elliptical. An elliptical gives you the best of both and twice the calorie burn in half the time.
  • looby_loo91
    Options
    I suck at running, treadmill or otherwise. I like the treadmill for power-walking and going uphill but can't run on it to save my life. Try the cross-trainer/elliptical (depending on where you're from!) instead if you fancy a change. I like it cus I can go at a running speed on the cross-trainer but it doesn't hurt my knees and shins at all cus it's a much smoother action....
  • kolakross
    kolakross Posts: 39
    Options
    The bike is a great opption to running. Make sure you keep resistance or speed high to keep your heart pumping. Do some intervals so that you're able to press some more and build strength and stamina, but remember that it's good to change your routine too and throw in some other exercises.
  • jen2swt
    jen2swt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I need to train myself using the elliptical again..I get bored with that too.

Interesting about the burn using the bike, I get more and burn more calories. My speed on the bike is between 12-14 level 3 resistance...

I've been trying to find calf sleeves, can't for the life of me. May have to buy them online.

I don't mind running/jogging on the treadmill for 1 mile but after that my shin really starts acting up and then I quit, then I go to the bike....
  • jen2swt
    jen2swt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks Peppi for the zensah recommendation. Just ordered one on Amazon for $19..Can't wait til it gets here.
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    An elliptical would be a much better choice because it takes the stress off your joints while also allowing you to get a beneficial work out.
  • HILMAN76
    HILMAN76 Posts: 3
    Options
    If you can, have some custom foot orthotic inserts made for your feet, I had a pair of custom orthotics made for me and it made my feet,legs and back feel 100% better. You need to see a Podiatrist to have your feet examined, then they make a mold of each foot or use a scanner machine to scan each foot. My insurance did not cover the orthotics, they only covered the Dr. visit, the pair of orthotics set me back $375 bucks, it was well worth it.
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I feel like it is easier to slack off on the bike. If you slack off on the treadmill it throws you off the back end! :happy:

We have a bike and treadmill in the basement and if I am on the bike, I force myself to do intervals where I turn up the tension and pedal standing up. It is incredibly challenging and for me, since I don't do it as often as I run, it hits different muscles. I would however, LOVE to have an elliptical as an alternative, though I think like the bike it is easy to get complacent and slack off on it as well.
  • peppiee
    peppiee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hope the sleeves help :)