What have you learned from your weightloss

Options

Replies

• estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I can succeed, that I can accomplish anything if I just put my mind into it. But the most important thing I've learned is that people care about me and love me.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    That I'm sexy & I know it....because I work out
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    ^^ LOL!

I've learned the power of will power mainly. We went to Red Robin yesterday and i didn't touch any of the fries, It was really hard not too but it was worth it.

Also losing weight isn't easy!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I've learned how dedicated I can be. Set your mind to it and anything is possible!
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I've learned the broken cookies don't have any calories because they all fall out when they break.

But really, I've learned that the number on the scale matters so much less than how you look.
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    i like zumba, apples, and mirrors.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just started a topic with what I had learned about the mental component of weightloss, but it probably fits here better. Sorry for the duplication.

I am posting this because there may be a few others who would benefit from viewing being fit as going beyond diet and exercise.

I've seen factoids about the ratio of diet and exercise to the success of weight loss and want to note for me the biggest component of making a wholescale change in diet and exercise has been in retraining myself mentally and emotionally. I discovered this during my efforts toward fitness, which have resulted in eliminating high cholesterol, lowering blood pressure to the normal range, losing over 17 inches from my waist (and equally satisfactory inches elsewhere) and moving from obese to slightly overweight.

To turn around my declining health on a permanent and long-term basis, I needed to work my brain differently as I approached day-to-day living. Some of these aspects of thinking (almost in order of my growth as a fit person) include:

1) Identifying and addressing the emotional underpinnings of my eating to excess
    2) Identifying long-standing personal habits standing in the way of my fitness
    3) Identifying techniques to change/modify the habits
    4) Learning to analyze and assess scientific studies/pronouncements as to possibly validity and applicability to my own unique body and life

For those of you using this site and other tools to facilitate your fitness goals, I encourage you to consider whether adding your own cognitive skills would be an additional powerful tool.
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    Nothing profound. Life's just nicer and easier when you're not heavy. My body no longer inhibits me from doing physical things I want to do (kayaking, camping, sex...the important stuff).

I totally LOVE that sex came after kayaking and camping... that made me smile -- I've learned that although I was never uncomfortable in my own skin even at my heaviest of 319, 40 lbs less weight (and still going) makes a huge difference in my motion and sleep.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I've learned the less I become, the more I have to offer.

And, it's way more fun to sit in an airplane seat than it used to be.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have to keep a food diary.
    I feel sexier
    guilty if I don't exercise (not my favorite thing to do, but I do)
    better spirits
    positive outlook
  • hollymeeker
    Options
    I learned that it's not impossible to lose weight. I learned that losing weight really helps with health issues. Just went to my 3 month follow-up after being diagnosed with diabetes. I was taking 2 medicines to control it...both high dosages. My doctor removed one of my 100mg pills to a 2mg pill. I'm hoping in my next 3 month follow-up, the doctor will be able to remove the 2mg pill. My blood work shows how well the weight loss is helping my body...so much so, that my doctor gave me a hug! :)
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I learned that I don't have to completely give up all of my favorite food to lose weight. I've learned that lifestyle changes don't have to be extreme in order to be successful.

I've finally learned that its not just about looking good --- that being healthy is much more important to me.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I learned I was making it FAR harder than it has to be and I CAN DO THIS. I also learned I am something of a role model, people around me are eating better & exercising more too
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    -If I want to go out and eat somewhere and it's close, I just walk there and burn some calories that way.
    -I don't eat a lot of fast food anymore because even the healthier restaurants (Subway) is full of sodium
    -Watching your calories doesn't mean being confined to rabbit food and rice cakes.
    -Drink your water!
    -I love Zumba.
    -You can incorporated exercise into spending time with friends.
    -Pounds are good but inches lost are awesome!
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    that i have more confidence and how proud of myself i am and also HOW THE HECK DID I CARRY THAT EXTRA 9KG AROUND WITH ME?!?! (imagine carrying 9 bags of sugar around in a backpack all day) :noway:

ive also learnt that even though i have "real" friends that encourage me, it sort of means more to me when advice and encouragement come from my mfp friends!!:flowerforyou: maybe coz you dont know me and dont have to be nice!
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    i like zumba, apples, and mirrors.

YES!! and I like having pictures taken of me now, oh,oh,oh and shopping is so much more fun now :)
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I learned how unsupportive and uncaring my wife can be. (She has not tried to lose any weight and actually gives me crap every time we go to a family event and people comment to me how great I look) I told her sorry, I am not going to stay unhealthy to make her happy.

I have also learned sometimes when I feel too tired to exersize, if I make myself I end up feeling better half way through.
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I get cold way more easily.

My penis never really shrank, just got engulfed by fat.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I'm a pretty good inspiration for other people.
    I've learned that my positive attitude exudes further than I ever expected.
    I've learned that this is the last time I will ever be overweight (obese to start) because overcoming this is all mental.
    I've learned that I actually can cook... I can pull things out of the refrigerator and make a healthy, tasty meal.

I know that there are some out there that might believe that there is some "special pill" or something like that to help them lose weight... this is not true. The truth is to exercise, eat healthy, take in less calories than you expend... but, eat. EAT. EAT. Do not cut your calories too low. I do not know the truth about "starvation mode" but I know that I lose more, I lose regularly, when I eat MORE.
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I learned how unsupportive and uncaring my wife can be. (She has not tried to lose any weight and actually gives me crap every time we go to a family event and people comment to me how great I look) I told her sorry, I am not going to stay unhealthy to make her happy.

I have also learned sometimes when I feel too tired to exersize, if I make myself I end up feeling better half way through.

Sent you a friend request. I will be running my first marathon May 19, 2013 in Cleveland. Agree with your statements here and on your profile page. Good job!