12 hour shifts & the gym

Options
What do you do if you work 3 days in a row 7am to 7pm? When do you have time to go to the gym. I have no time to go after work because I have a dog that is couped up all day, and dinner to make?? help!

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Aren't there days when you don't work?
  • xStellar
    xStellar Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I work 730am-8pm, plus about an hour commute each way.
    I don't go to gym on work days. I do full body work outs on my days off (sometimes only twice a week, bc need rest days off too), and I spend one day to prepare food for the work days so I don't have to spend more than 10 minutes cooking when I get home from work.
    Usually day after my 3 in a row, I have a rest day, then gym, rest, gym/prepare food day, work, work, work.
    Once you get into a routine things will start to work well. :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Can you do short high-intensity exercises during your breaks? Sneaking in 5-10 minutes throughout the day will add up.

Run up and down the stairs. Burpees! Mountain climbers, sprinting in place, jumping jacks, jumping squats, jumping lunges, etc. The list is endless.
  • dawnmariern
    dawnmariern Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat 7a to 730 pm 3 days a week. I try using the steps at work as much as possible. I also try to do a minimum of 20 minutes either on the treadmill or exercise video such as kettleworx. I must admit sometimes I am just to exhausted. My goal for next week is to get up at least 30 minutes earlier so I can do something in the morning.
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both RNs and work 12 hour shifts. I rarely work out on those days. I am just too beat! So I really try to eat healthy. I work out the rest of the days.

Sometimes, after I work, I can do a 30 minute video and maybe in the summer, I will be able to get in a quick run, but right now I am so tired and its dark and cold outside!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I used to work that exact shift so I didn't work out those does and just focused on the other 4 days I was off. I was very successful losing weight doing that.