New to Counting Calories, looking for support

tommie56
tommie56 Posts: 44 Member
Hello Fitness Pals

I am new to counting calories and would love to receive and offer support.

I am in my 50's been overweight most of my life. I have had success for periods of time with Weight Watchers but nothing seems to stick.

My biggest problem is that I love to cook and I am good at it. LOL I know there are ways to combine my love of cooking with healthy weight loss but I just have to find the balance.

Replies

• Mellocare
    Mellocare Posts: 47 Member
    Hello! I don't know many healthy recipes or anything but I try to always be supportive and help where I can. So if you want to add me, feel free. Best luck on your journey! :)
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Me too, also a WW! Welcome.

My mom and I discovered Marlene Koch's "Eat What You Love" cookbook, so if you love to cook, this is a great guide. Tons of recipes that are "friendly" for anyone counting calories, carbs or points.

Good luck! I love it here!

17169628.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • I too am in my 50's- overweight, AND have had success with Weight Watchers! In fact I lost 30 pounds on WW last year. After finding out some bad news in Nov. 2011 (my hubby has liver disease and kidney failure) we both quit smoking cold turkey and I have gained back close to 20 of those pounds. So I am back on track as of Thursday... I know how to lose weight, I just need to get my mojo back. Feel free to add me as a friend here if you want and Good LUCK!
  • I did WW's too... i am likeing this more.
    I love to cook too.. try the websites www.skinnytaste.com and www.hungry-girl.com
    Hungry girl has a bunch of recipe books too, they are great!
    Cheers!
  • new here and looking for any support as well as supporting others
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    MFP has the very handy feature allowing you to enter your recipes and it counts up all the nutrients for you, making it easy to enter from the My Recipies tab. Since you're new to counting calories, just remember that everything counts. Enter every bite that goes into your mouth--even celery! if you have a smartphone MFP's app makes it so easy to enter all your meals and snacks--I would nto be as consistent if I had to write it down on paper every time, but I always have my phone within reach. I also think that it helps to find and join a group that is working toward the same goals. The support and interaction is so very helpful!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Skinnytaste.com and cooking light magazine's website have a lot of good recipes. You can check those out!
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Hi. I'm in my 40s and could have written this post last year.

I'm not new to counting calories anymore, but I can say that it works and that it's worth it. I'm trying to find my way back here, but I'll friend you. We'll see each other through this!

Welcome to MFP

(oh, and I second "Skinnytaste.com". You are going to love the things Gina produces.)
  • tommie56
    tommie56 Posts: 44 Member
    Thanks for all the responses!! I think I am going to like it here!! :happy: