Is eating 1200 cals/day healthy for a young person?

Options
Hello!) Im 18, 5'4" 114 lbs. Im not fat at all, however, there is fat covering my muscles which i am trying to get rid of. And no matter how i change my profile, the calorie goal stays 1200 unless i change my lifestyle. I may be wrong, but arent you supposed to eat at least 1500 cals/day? I really dont want my body to go into starvation mode. I usually eat a lot, but so far this website keeps me motivated, i stay away from stuff that is high on calories :) Although friday i had to eat a lot, because i knew it was going to be hard and i didnt want to add the hungerness to the stress, but my brain told me to do it, not my belly :) So is doing 1200/day even healthy? Or maybe since i dont need to loose that much, i could eat everything as long as its low on carbs? Im really confused, please help me :/

Replies

• christina471
    Options
    Bump! I would like to know this too.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Find out what your BMR is and eat at that. The 1,200 is the lowest calorie amount this site will give you. Maybe set your profile to maintain and work on building muscle.
  • AlterJ
    AlterJ Posts: 21
    Options
    Find out what your BMR is and eat at that. The 1,200 is the lowest calorie amount this site will give you. Maybe set your profile to maintain and work on building muscle.
    I do work on building muscle, but that wont get rid of the fat. How could the website give me fewer calorie number then i need? Or is it just a bug? Thanks for response )
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I do work on building muscle, but that wont get rid of the fat. How could the website give me fewer calorie number then i need? Or is it just a bug? Thanks for response )

Unfortunately MFP ignores your BMR and gives everyone the same minimum, which I believe is one major flaw in what is otherwise a great site.

at 18, you need more than 1200 as you are still growing.