exercise time?

Options
I have 2 yound children so its hard for me to get on the treadmill for an extended period of time but i can hop on it for 10-15 minutes at a time 3-4 times a day my question is and it might be kinda stupid but here it goes is it still as effective then staying on for an hour at a time? Meaning is it still doing the same thing if im on it 3-4 times a day for a short period then once for a long period..?

Thanks = )

Replies

• chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    a few mins a few times a day is better than none. Though to get your heart rate up in a short period of time, is hard. Try to use different inclines, or use weights to help get your heart rate up.
  • willis47
    willis47 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try and do 20 mins in the morning and 20 mins at night it is better than all at once and build it up when you have more time.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than nothing!! Sometimes kids can wait though!!! Let them be...and let them know mom will be done soon!! In like 45 minutes!!!! Lol!!
  • fvincentelli
    fvincentelli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are: If you want to lose weight, then yes, it is pretty much the same. Losing weight is about achieving a calorie deficit throughout the day, and it does not matter much if you do it in one sitting or four. From a fitness perspective, however, there are some differences. You will not develop the same level of stamina from four short runs as you would from one long one.

That said, four short runs are 100% better than none. Take care of your kids, but take care of yourself too. Stay on that treadmill!
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Warm up and stretch in "normal" activity before you get on the treadmill and try to get your heart rate up fairly quickly and maintain it for 15 minutes if possible cooling down and stretching once again off the treadmill . I know its hard to plan with little ones and I agree that anything is better than nothing .
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have 2 yound children so its hard for me to get on the treadmill for an extended period of time but i can hop on it for 10-15 minutes at a time 3-4 times a day my question is and it might be kinda stupid but here it goes is it still as effective then staying on for an hour at a time? Meaning is it still doing the same thing if im on it 3-4 times a day for a short period then once for a long period..?

Thanks = )

According to the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html) 15 minutes at a time is fine. It might not be ideal, but it's better than nothing!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you can hop on the treadmill a few times a day and run a mile each time, you're ahead of the pack, darlin'. Go for it!
  • jessielynn25
    Options
    Thanks Everybody! Just wanted to make sure i wasnt wasting my time lol = )