Protein Powder

Options
I'm sure you've heard this a hundred times before but I tried searching 'Protein Powder' (honest!) and none of the results gave me the answer I wanted.

I always struggle with protein intake, being a vegetarian - I'm often only on half the amount I need - so protein powder seems like something worthwhile to bump me up a little more.

BUT, I don't want to dive straight in and buy the massive kilo tubs that cost over £35, without trying them first for effectiveness/flavour etc.

So can anyone recommend somewhere (preferably UK) that would sell smaller tubs of protein that I could try out?

Thanks ♥

Replies

• bunnylvr
    bunnylvr Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm not in the UK so I can't really help you but I just wanted to say I LOVE your profile pic..
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Sample pouches are available on the many sites available to purchase and delivered to the UK.
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    Okay, thanks! I'll see what I can find.
  • Lorrie_73
    Lorrie_73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the UK, but I recently stumbled upon Primal Fuel and I love it. Especially when I use coconut water instead of plain water. Kind of expensive though at $79/tub.
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    Are you looking for a specific type of protein i.e. soy, whey? They can differ in price (and quality). I had soy powder before and while it was ok, it wasn't as complete a protein as whey - and therefore cost less :P We used the GNC powders here, I was a member of Beachbody a while ago and they use Beachbody-specific brands... but I don't know what's available in UK. Let me check with a couple friends across the pond and see what they have to say :)

Edit: quick search got me to CreatineStore.co.uk - they have whey for less than £30/kilo - and lots of other options. I've heard of Met-RX brand here in US, so might be one to look into...
    http://www.creatinestore.co.uk/protein_powders/metrx-supreme-whey-2lb-met_rx_supreme_whey_908g.htm
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/ is good value and does have samplers of some products - see http://www.myprotein.com/uk/pages/search?SearchTerm=sample
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    do you have GNC in the UK? I use Amplify from GNC and love it.
  • karenCalandro
    Options
    If you guys have a WALMART, they always have inexpensive protein powders that are just as good as any gym or website is selling
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition brand sells an inexpensive whey powder that seems universally well-liked. It can be puchased from GNC or tons of places online, including amazon. I use GNC amp wheybolic 60, because it's a "better" one for what I'm trying to use it for but it is pricier than others. (although I buy it on sale along with my 20% discount)
  • Caileadair
    Options
    I live in Canada and I don't know where you can get trial pouches of protein powder but I have finally found a whey based protein powder that is actually very palatable. I do know that it's available in the UK though. In the UK it's called Allmax Iso Femme. The chocolate is great. I add some frozen strawberries or frozen banana slices and whip it up in my bullet/blender. Very satisfying and filling. 2 grams of carbs, 1 gram of sugar and 25 grams of protein, 98.5% lactose free.... ..specially made for the ladies. For quick picker upper the bars are excellent too...I like them with a cuppa.
    Not sure if links are allowed here but I'll try. http://www.allmaxnutrition.com/products-type/isofemme-protein-smoothie/
  • youknome
    youknome Posts: 63
    Options
    I am currently consuming PHD Diet Whey, you can find it at Tesco/GNC/MonsterSupplements. I think MonsterSupplements do samples, so you may want to take a look at that.

I must say it's the best tasting protein shake I've had, is a little pricey too - I paid £22 last time for 1kg bag of Strawberry Delight.

If you're looking for inexpensive protein definitely go for MyProtein.com they're huge.