Scale vs. Measuring

Options
DinahKyle
DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
I refuse to use the scale outside of my doctors office. Anyone else like this? I would rather get down t an ideal measurement then try day in and day out to match a scale. Especially since I have never looked what I weigh. Even my doctor looks at me funny when he sees my weight.

So how about you? Do you Scale it or Measure it?

Replies

• hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! I do both. Great way to keep track of the whole picture than focusing on any one part. Weigh, measure, go to the bathroom and then repeat!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    This isn't quite for me- but it's a really healthy and positive mindset! Way to go!
  • klien35
    klien35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, I try not to obsess, but like to see the results. I have heard though of people who just pay attention to the way their clothes are fitting, if they get tight, they know they have to step it up. If you are working out a lot and are gaining muscles I think it is great to measure rather than focusing on the number. Do whatever works for you!
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I do both!!!
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Both, but much prefer measurements. Chasing numbers on a scale depresses me as my weight fluctuates wildly throughout the month anyway!
  • CrysOmboli
    CrysOmboli Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do both. I find it hard not to obsess about the weight but i have been pretty good about only weighing in once a week. I like to see the changes. But I also measure myself. The inches don't fall quite as quickly as the weight so it can be discouraging at times.
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    I do both, I trust my scales as I spent more money for a pair of weight watchers ones but I do go by the inches I have lost alot more
  • cmirescu
    cmirescu Posts: 2
    Options
    Now that I've been maintaining a regular and frequent exercise routine, I use the scale often -- a few times per week. I find however that tracking my daily food intake (and keeping that within my target range) makes scaling obsolete. But I do use it as positive reinforcement. I feel proud of myself as I move closer to an ideal body mass for my size/structure.

I should point out, however, that I'm not a supporter of weight tracking when someone is new to regular exercise (or ramping up their intensity) because the rapid gains often seen in the 1st few weeks (ie water weight) can be misleading. I think it's very important to have realistic health goals and be mindful that dropping more than 8lbs per month (at an absolute maximum, 4 is probably a good target -- 1lb/week) is metabolically taxing and unlikely sustainable weight loss.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I do both. Although the way my clothes fit changes long before it shows on the scale OR the tape measure, for some reason. As long as my shape is improving, I'm happy.
  • arkansascountrygirl
    arkansascountrygirl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am like you. I prefer the measurements. when I weigh I get discouraged. measuring and seeing myself lose those inches encourages me a lot more. seeing that I am losing cellulite and getting firm and toned helps me a lot.
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Because I'm quite muscular I don't use the scales at all because they just show me being heavier, so instead I measure myself every month and log it in my diary.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I do the scale and measure. Measuring is more depressing than the scale for me. Mine haven't gone down in weeks, but my weight has =/
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I don't own a scale so I only weigh when I go to the dr. every 6 to 12 week. I measure daily. I think it is much less stressful. The measuring tape doesn't show those natural daily fluctuations.
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Both. While measurements and looking good certainly matter in the bigger scheme of things for me, so does carrying the extra pounds. When I talk with my cardiologist and the cardiac rehab nurses, one thing I've become acutely aware of is the health aspect of the pounds. Just the other day, in looking at my body fat numbers. one of my nurses put it into perspective. While I've lost a lot of weight so far and I'm donating big clothes like crazy, I realized that I'm still carrying about 67 lbs. of fat in my body. That's more than a bag and a half of water softener salt. I know what that feels like lugging those out of the car and up and down the stairs ... and here I am carrying a bag and a half, every minute of every day. Also, when I see the blood pressure numbers come down and the quick recovery of my heart back to normal after exercise, compared to where I was when I was a lot heavier, the pounds have to factor in for me.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I gauge my success in multiple ways.

I take measurements. From November to now I haven't lost weight on the scale really, but I've lost inches.

I gauge my bad weeks by the scale. For example, this past week I've been horrible, to put it simply. The scale went up a few lbs. That really puts it into perspective, and it makes me get back onto my game.

I also have clothes that I try on every so often that I either bought too small or just right....if I start to see them getting bigger on me, I know I've been doing good.

Additionally, I gauge my success on my fitness. When I can go out for a 7 mile run and not be exhausted, I call that a good day!

I'm an overall kind of person. I like seeing differences in all aspects of my life!:wink: Oh...and not to mention, how sexy I feel when naked is a big indicator of success...when I want to molest myself, I take that as a win :bigsmile: