Exercising and no weight loss

Options
I have been exercising at the gym 4 or 5 days a week. I love the elliptical and can go 20 minutes at 95 to 110 strides per minute. Then my husband and I go to strength training. We do 40 minutes, abs with 30 lbs, outside thighs with 50 pounds, inside thighs with 50 pounds, twisting machine for waist with 70 pounds. Then we do free weights boxing and toe touches, I can only do 8 pounds. I then Zumba Wii for 45 minutes on the days I don't go to the gym. One day off a week usually. I am not losing weight! I am 5'3" and 250 pounds. I haven't lost weight in a couple months. I will lose about 4 pounds, then it's back! My blood work is getting better, my glucose is normal, my good cholesterol is going up, but my bad is staying the same. The dr. knows I'm exercising and he's glad of that, but he goes more by the scale.

I am at 1200 calories a day.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! I also make sure to drink more than my 8 glasses of water a day.
Needless to say, I'm really getting depressed. Like no matter what I do, isn't good enough.

Replies

• lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Try measuring yourself instead, see if you see progress that way. But many people believe that losing weight is 70% diet, 30% exercise, so you might want to look at any changes you can make there...
  • TheoSilva
    TheoSilva Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you. In your opinion, do you think I need to up calories or go lower than 1200?

I forgot to mention I'm 57 years old.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Hi, you are eating far to low at the moment for 5'3" and 250 pounds. I calculated your TD @ 2400 with a light exercise regimen. Try eating at 1900-2000 cals. and work from there adjusting your macros appropriately. I am a firm believer of IIFIYM, it is so simple/basic and gives results.

TDee Calc: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Your exercise plan is AWESOME!! But I agree, you are not eating enough calories. Also, be sure to get in AT LEAST 8 Glasses of water EVERY DAY! It really is That Important.
    :drinker: Keep on keeping on, And be sure to get those measurements.
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think maybe your problem is your not eating enough. If you do try to eat more, make sure you are adding healthy choices based on whatever diet you are trying to do. (IE don't add calories by eating candy or w/e)

1200 seems really low for someone exersizing regular. I have lost over 160 pounds and I did not lose it overnight, there were times when I would go weeks without losing no matter what I did. It did eventually come off though. So don't give up.
  • DarleneT22
    DarleneT22 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi, you are eating far to low at the moment for 5'3" and 250 pounds. I calculated your TD @ 2400 with a light exercise regimen. Try eating at 1900-2000 cals. and work from there adjusting your macros appropriately. I am a firm believer of IIFIYM, it is so simple/basic and gives results.

I agree with this. I think you should be eating closer to 2000 calories a day.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? Are they nutritionally dense foods (fruits, vegetables, lean protiens, and good fats (olive oil, avacado, fish oils)or junk/processed food?)

Are you eating 1200 calories plus those you've earned from exercise... Or are you eating just 1200 calories per day?

How much sodium are you consuming?
  • Calibrate
    Calibrate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I feel for you and know what you are going through. I'm 50 years old, 5'5" 230lbs. I have changed my lifestyle for the better last September when I quit smoking. Been going to the gym 5 days a week and eating a lot better (between 1500 - 1800 calories per day. Got my thyroid checked and went on synthroid. That has stablalized but still gaining and losing the same 4 pounds no matter what I do. Went to a dietician, not much help. Very, very frustrating. I do feel a whole lot better but it is a huge bummer not to see progress. I don't measure myself but I do know that all my clothes fit the same as they did last year.
  • phillips9366
    phillips9366 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You seem to be overlooking the obvious, which is the calories burned through exercise. Calorie counting doesn't lie, so use your heart rate to estimate your calories burned. Let myfitnesspal do the math and you will lose weight. It's really that simple.

I like this site for estimating calories burned - very accurate: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx.

Also, the P90X Lean routine might be worth considering. It really jacks your metabolism and provides a great calorie burn by using all different large muscle groups without overdoing it on any. Sometimes when you do the same thing over and over your body gets used to it and you become surprisingly efficient, wheras P90lean mixes it up and seems to just keep the calories burning.

BTW, those people who say things like, you're not eating enough calories, aren't likely to be doctors or professional weightloss consultants. Take everything mythical with a grain of salt and rely on the facts. The facts surprisingly effective when it comes to taking care of your body and losing weight, but the myths just waste your time.
  • debgcook
    debgcook Posts: 64
    Options
    I am 54 and I know where you are coming from. I am a life time member of weight watcher and I do this site just to see the calories once in a while. Might want to try it and see what is going on. But you are doing fine on exercising. May want to add veggies and fruits in between meals. If you would like to be friends let me know :glasses:
  • robcha35
    robcha35 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hang in there... It sounds to me like you are doing the right things. I am not a personal trainer or doctor, but I would consult with both and ask them the same questions. It could be a medical condition that is impeding weight loss.

If you are exercising 4-5 times per week for 45 minutes to an hour per crack and only taking in 1200 calories per day, something is amiss. Weight loss is all about calories taken in versus calories burned.

How many calories are you burning during an average workout? Let's say that number is 400. If you're only taking 1200 calories in, your net result would be 800 calories taken in.

There are 3500 calories in a pound, so you should be losing weight at a good clip right now. As I said at the top, I would consult a doctor and or personal trainer to get some more concrete answers.

I would also be proud of the fact that your blood work has improved and you are staying committed to keeping yourself healthy! :)

Good luck!
  • kmfl1
    kmfl1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First, I'm sure you know of the "starvation mode". Depriving yourself of calories that you need on a daily basis only results in gain or no loss. Cutting yourself down from the bare minimum would only result in more frustration, I would think. I had an incident last week that caused concern, as I gained 3.5 pounds in a week. When looking at the week in review, I had upped my exercise minutes and found myself eating those extra calories that I burned. I found that if I eat around a third of what I burned, then I'm good. I did just that and last week I lost all that I gained PLUS 1.4! Another thing that helped me was something my wife showed me...when doing cardio, every 5 minutes for a 1 minute interval, go fast...then go back to your normal pace. It speeds up your metabolism, burning calories faster than normal.
  • TheoSilva
    Options
    Hi,

I am eating healthy, no bread, a salad everyday for lunch. At work everyone says I've eaten more salads in the past year than they have their entire life! Lean meat, salads, rice for dinner. Snacks are fruit, popcorn, occasionally a scoop or two of sherbert. My friend Michele calls me "a fruit eating freak!" I really like fruit.

As for sodium, I try to watch, I don't add salt or pepper to anything. But I know it's hidden in a lot of foods. I'll start watching that.

Thanks!
  • TheoSilva
    Options
    What are you eating? Are they nutritionally dense foods (fruits, vegetables, lean protiens, and good fats (olive oil, avacado, fish oils)or junk/processed food?)

Are you eating 1200 calories plus those you've earned from exercise... Or are you eating just 1200 calories per day?

How much sodium are you consuming?

Hi,

I am eating healthy, no bread, a salad everyday for lunch. At work everyone says I've eaten more salads in the past year than they have their entire life! Lean meat, salads, rice for dinner. Snacks are fruit, popcorn, occasionally a scoop or two of sherbert. My friend Michele calls me "a fruit eating freak!" I really like fruit.

As for sodium, I try to watch, I don't add salt or pepper to anything. But I know it's hidden in a lot of foods. I'll start watching that.

Thanks!
  • TheoSilva
    Options
    I am 54 and I know where you are coming from. I am a life time member of weight watcher and I do this site just to see the calories once in a while. Might want to try it and see what is going on. But you are doing fine on exercising. May want to add veggies and fruits in between meals. If you would like to be friends let me know :glasses:

Thanks for your help. I do eat a lot of veggies and fruits, not between meals though.

I would love to be friends! Please add me!
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Well, exercise is a means to assist weight loss with proper diet and nutrition. Not as a means exclusively to lose weight with a low cal diet.

It's a balance. People tend to think, if I just eat the minimum, then work out a ton! I will lose that much faster. Not the case.

In your example: you have 1200 c your eating. Your burning lets say 600c. So your net in is 600. WAY too low, to not only support any muscles you could have gained, but your decreasing your performance. Your compromising energy to your body functions. As a result your metabolism lowers to try to eliminate unnecessary (relative term) functions to meet this new energy expenditure demand. Your body is thinking short term. While your thinking long term. Eventually you'll lose. (not weight)

This is where the "eat back your exercise cals" comes from. If your eating back the 600, plus the 1200 your set to already. Your eating 1800c a day when working out. This is extremely average. You will lose weight this way, you will also increase athletic performance and giving you all the benefits of exercise properly.

Make sure, that the cals you do eat, are good choices. Nutritious foods, high in fibers, nutrition, proteins. Things like whole foods, while avoiding empty cals like hot pockets and boxed meals. You need the most bang for your buck with this routine. Your mind, body, weight loss success will thank you in the long run.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You've got way too much mass and not enough fuel for your body to want to start burning anything. Until your body doesn't think it needs to hold on to every calorie you do eat, it isn't going to let much go.
  • TheoSilva
    Options
    First, I'm sure you know of the "starvation mode". Depriving yourself of calories that you need on a daily basis only results in gain or no loss. Cutting yourself down from the bare minimum would only result in more frustration, I would think. I had an incident last week that caused concern, as I gained 3.5 pounds in a week. When looking at the week in review, I had upped my exercise minutes and found myself eating those extra calories that I burned. I found that if I eat around a third of what I burned, then I'm good. I did just that and last week I lost all that I gained PLUS 1.4! Another thing that helped me was something my wife showed me...when doing cardio, every 5 minutes for a 1 minute interval, go fast...then go back to your normal pace. It speeds up your metabolism, burning calories faster than normal.

Yesterday, before I read your post, I tried one minute fast, my son would call it balls to the wall, and one minute slow. I was ok for 3 times, but then my chest started to burn. I got a little scared. Today I'll try your suggestion, one minute fast and 5 slower.

Thank you!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories is NOT ENOUGH! Eat more!

Your metabolism will slow down when you deprive it of nutrients. Your body will begin to eat away at your muscle instead of the your fat.

Increase your calories. Eat at least at your BMR which is going to be a lot higher than 1200. You'll than see weight begin to come off.
  • wdruker
    wdruker Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Thank you!! This was quite helpful. I think I may not be eating enough and perhaps that is why I am not losing any weight either. Thanks!