almond vs. soy milk

Options
im not sure which to buy! unsweeted almond milk has only 35cals a cup vs. light soy milk at 60cals. But the almond milk has a lot more fat (i know they're healthy fats from almonds). Also the soy has a lot more protien. Which one is better for weightloss? I dont drink too much milk to begin with, just in my cereal/recipes. Im also not a fan of dairy milk. so help me out? what are your views on unsweetened almond and light soy milk??

Replies

• pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have never tried soy milk but the unsweetened vanilla almond milk is really good on cereal. That is the only way I can use it but it really gives the cereal a good taste.
  • BevbeMoore
    BevbeMoore Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of soy milk so my preference is almond milk. I buy the unsweetened enriched version. I use it in everything that requires milk and I especially like it as a base for my protein smoothies.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    After trying almond milk I will never use soy milk again. Soy milk is disgusting imo. When I was a vegan it was the only 'milk' choice out there at the time. Now I eat dairy again but use a lot of almond milk instead of dairy, especially in cereal when I do eat it.
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    We used to use the soy for many years, but switched to almond when there was debate on the soy/estrogen thing. dont know if much to it, but i really like the almond milk and lower calories. I get the almond breeze 40 cal.. i dont like the silk almond milk as much.
  • BeachyBecky
    BeachyBecky Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love the silk almond on my cereal. I prefer this to the soy, and I only use a 1/2 cup of the almond milk on my cereal which is only 30 cals.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    If you don't drink that much milk then whichever one you choose won't affect your macros that much. So, you should go by taste. Neither is "better" for weight loss. Weight loss is about cals in vs. Cals out.

Personally, I think soy milk taste like dirt and I love almond milk. That's just one person's opinion.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    from a weight loss standpoint you are looking for a caloric deficit. Almond has less calories than soy milk, so it is probably a little superior in that regard. I also like Almond milk better so I am biased.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i love them both but opt for almond for two reasons. 1, the calories are lower so i can make more protein smoothies. and 2. it doesn't separate in coffee like soy milk can/does.
  • tinywithaBIGheart
    Options
    will the fat in the almond milk affect my weightloss at all? the soy milk is has way less fat cals.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    will the fat in the almond milk affect my weightloss at all? the soy milk is has way less fat cals.

No. weight loss is all about your calories. Also, fat is good for you.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I prefer unsweetened, plain almond milk on my cereal--I think soy milk makes cereal taste funny. I could probably use soy milk in recipes, but since I have almond milk around already, I just use that. The difference in calories isn't huge, so if what you're using it for is mostly cereal, I won't worry about the difference in calories too much, just try both and use whatever you like. The extra protein in soy milk makes it attractive, but I find soy milk to be vile. As far as the fat goes, even though it may be higher in fat that soy milk, almond milk isn't at all what you'd call "high fat" unless you really need to watch your fat intake for medical reasons, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • tinywithaBIGheart
    Options
    thanks guys - your a huge help :)
  • eblake111
    eblake111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hands down.....ALMOND MILK!!! Its so much better for you, better tasting and you can use it in cooking, lattes, straight, on cereal, etc.....
    I highly highly recommend Blue Diamond Vanilla Almond Milk (UNSWEETENED). It taste so very good, only 40 calories for a cup...I just love it! Has a very light vanilla taste but not over powering. You can find it either near the evaporated milk isle in a box or some stores do carry it in the cold milk area.

Try it...you wont be disappointed :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Everybody is suggesting almond, but I'm going to say soy, because I'm allergic to almonds and therefore everybody should stay away from them. :tongue:

Seriously, try both and see which you like and which feels better for your body.
  • hackett1171
    Options
    I just tried Almond Milk today and its AWESOME... I'll take the 3 grams of fat to the 40 calories per cup. I had rice drink and its nothing compared to Almond Milk. I use the unsweetened vanilla, its great!!!!
  • sepiUK
    Options
    We usually use the soy one as my bf doesn't like the almond one but I am positive that the almond milk would be a better dairy alternative. Soy milk contains high levels of estrogen.It can block thyroid function.It can be contaminated by aluminum due to the acid washing in aluminum tanks. It contains "phytic acid" that has the potential to block absorption of certain minerals, including magnesium and calcium.
    Reference:
    http://veganesseats.blogspot.co.nz/2011/02/soy-milk-will-kill-you.html
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Almond milk all the way!