Low Carb Diet HELP!

Options
So, I've been cutting back my carbs for a while now, and i'm finding it a massive sucess. I also feel 50 times better without all that stodge, and after a while you kind of forget about eating bread, or potato etc.

However, I've always had problems in the past with my bowel movements. My regular pattern would be once every 3 days average, and thats with a normal healthy diet, drinking plenty of water and only wholegrain breads, rices and pastas. I've been to the doctor and hospital numerous times and theres no significant problem.

So you can imagine with the cutting out of carbs i'm really struggling to go at all. After about a week I feel a bit sluggish. So iv'e been relying on Dulcolax 'a slow release laxative' once a week. I hate the idea of Laxatives, but I take two a night once a week, and the following day i end up going to the toilet about 3 or 4 times!! I definately feel better, but if i didn't take them once a week god knows how long it would be untill I naturally went?
So, although I hate the idea of them, it helps me out, but I'm posting here purely for guidance.
Is this healthy?! Am I harming my body?? And can anybody recommend anything else that wont hinder my no carb diet? Maybe herbal supplements?

Thankyou so much! :)

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Get a probiotic. My Daughter was the same way and now that she takes it everyday she is a lot better.
    Alsoyou could take Citrucel everyday. Its not like metamucil. It doesn't constipate. You just have to drink a lot of water.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Probably not doing any harm with the laxatives, but you might want to check with a doctor just to be safe.

However, if cutting something out of your diet is requiring you to take a drug just to have a bowel movement, then you're doing things bass ackwards.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    In our office we recommend colace daily to prevent constipation (esp in people on pain killers etc), its not a laxative it just softens the stools so it comes out easier. If its hard to go and you strain you can have issues later.
  • NicolaNash
    Options
    I asked at Holland & Barrett about this as my bowels are the same unfortunately - even when I eat sufficient fibre (I'm now also trying to reduce carbs - not to be too low but I was always over on carbs and sugar so trying to balance things better and recently got a book on the GI diet). They recommended a cranberry concentrate (it does have calories, though low, so I do add this into my food diary whenever I use it), its not a laxative, you just add it to water and it helps things pass naturally. I would say its not good to use laxatives regularly.

I have also found though that oatcakes have been helping - I have switched to them as a snack and they have fibre and not too many carbs.
  • grace_eliza
    grace_eliza Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thankyou for all your help! gunna try some of the concentrated cranberry, where can i get Colace from tho in the UK?? Thankyou again :)
  • motb123
    motb123 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi,
    I too experience similar issues.I cannot take laxatives as I am on Warfarin so have to be careful. Have you tried eating 3 or 4 ready to eat Prunes per day? Some people don't like them. I find by eating these I am more regular. Dried ready to eat Apricots also help.

It is an embarrassing topic but so many suffer from constipation.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Eat more carbs...seriously!
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    Your body can become dependant on laxatives which will only make your problem worse.

Increase your fibre intake or try taking a fibre supplement.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Eat more fruits and veggies.
    Try dried fruit like prunes or any really.
    I find dried fruits can help way better than drugs.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    try some cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cauliflower. I do a lowish carb diet and haven't had a problem with this (when I have in the past). Make sure you eat lots of veggies.

Even if you are not doing a paleo diet, googling paleo and constipation might come up with some natural solutions for you!
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have had great success with low carb [under 20g per day] and occasionally might have slight problematic BM's , I usually just eat a bit more spinach/broccoli/cauliflower or other fiberous vegetables and everthing sorts its self out.

I do eat a lot more calories from fat which also helps . rather than protein which i hear clogs a lot of people up
  • sdag
    sdag Posts: 29
    Options
    I take Metamucil daily and have also started eating flaxseed. Prior, I wasn't pooping for 7 or more days and I was miserable. I mentioned it to my doctor and he was just like, "meh. Take some Miralax". Which did help, but I don't want to become dependent on that stuff. So, I find increasing my fiber to 30g + daily (I am not religious with it, though, sometimes I'll only hit 20-25g for the day) helps.
  • kcmg0730
    kcmg0730 Posts: 96
    Options
    Yep...up your fat intake a bit and make sure you are eating LOADS of veg...I've cut out grains completely, and have had no problems at all in that area...all about the good veg!!
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    1) Lots and lots of water
    2) Lots of fibrous veggies.
    3) Probiotics! Do not underestimate the importance of the small intestinal bacteria when it comes to having a healthy gut! You can take probiotic pills, but there are lots of foods with probiotic strains (greek yogurt and Kefir are my favorites).
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    are you taking your vitamins and minerals
  • mhack4223
    Options
    A magnesium supplement taken nightly is what I do ....
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have no advice, but I have the exact same problem. And I haven't cut back on carbs that much.
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    more veggie. or take some protien. that usually helps me. if not add miralax to food or drink.
  • ddmba5
    ddmba5 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am also eating a low carb diet. I add ground flax seed to my protein powder mix or sprinkle it on salads, etc. It seems to work great for me!
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. (By the way, why is it that men hardly ever have this problem???? Seriously. What is it about having a vagina that makes it difficult to go to the bathroom???) Anyways, I digress. What usually helps me is if I eat a ton (A TON) of super green veggies and beans. Lately, though it's been hard for me, so I've been putting Benefiber in everything. It's awesome and you can't taste it, and it's made my life a lot easier. It takes a day or two for you to notice the difference, but yeah.... THERE'S A DIFFERENCE!

Good luck!