steps a day

Options
so I have heard that if you walk a certain amount of steps a day you will lose like 1 or 2 pounds a week. Is this correct and if so how many steps?

Replies

• kvcarden
    kvcarden Posts: 175
    Options
    It's supposedly 10,000 steps a day...I had a step counter and it kept mis-counting so if you can accurately count that many steps, according to the hype you will lose 1 to 2 pounds a week.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    do you believe it
  • kvcarden
    Options
    Funny but yea I do believe it :blushing: my insurance company State Farm 2 years ago was implementing a push for a "fitter" America and they gave out free pamphlets and step counters the 10,000 is suppose to equal almost 5 miles.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    thank you so much
  • mouser79
    mouser79 Posts: 68
    Options
    Do you know if a good pedometer? Any pedometer I have bought over estimates the amount of steps?
  • kvcarden
    Options
    Do you know if a good pedometer? Any pedometer I have bought over estimates the amount of steps?

I had this same issue with all 3 of mine...if you make the slightest move it counts it as a step :grumble:

Jolinemm_07 no problem you're welcome, let me know if you find an accurate counter.
  • SallyAnn
    SallyAnn Posts: 43
    Options
    My understanding is you need 10K steps to MAINTAIN weight. My advice is to use the pedometer to set a goal for yourself and up it 10-20% a week.

FYI- When I walked 10 miles it took me 18,000 steps. However that is according to my bodybugg.
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i read that 10000 steps burns 500 calaories, so if you do that every day thats 3500 burned