SHIFT WORKERS HOW DO YOU COPE?

Options
2»

Replies

• jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey. I work at a hospital. I work all three, eight hour shifts and bc i'm part time i can be called in at a moment's notice. I handle days and evenings quite well. I usually have salad makings in the fridge that i can throw together quickly. Sometimes i'll take a tuna or salmon sandwich.

I also rely on the body by vi shakes for their convenience. I can make a shake in two minutes flat and take it and keep it in the fridge. The hardest shift for me is 12-8, the dreaded midnights.....i want to eat chips. So i generally take fruit and some greek yogurt to get me through.

Did you know that there is actually a disorder relating to shift work?? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_work_sleep_disorder

Good luck to you:)
  • bcunning
    bcunning Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to have to try preparing meals but I'm basically lazy when it comes to that and I'm not keen on planing in advance what I might want to eat because sometimes I change my mind.

Need to kick my *kitten* into gear.

Well, the truth is, while I do prepare my food ahead, I eat pretty much the same thing every day, so I don't have to give it much thought. The advantage to this is that I have gotten preparing those particular meals down to a science, I can make 4 or 5 meals in about 15 to 20 minutes.

Now you might think... No I don't want to eat the same thing all the time, and so did I, but I realized, I always ate the same thing all the time before too... it is just now, instead of cheeseburgers and pizza, I eat chicken, salmon, and turkey. In fact I have more variety in my diet now than when it was unhealthy. If you are interested I would be willing to list what my usual daily menu is.
  • mickyjg
    mickyjg Posts: 49
    Options
    I think I'm going to have to try preparing meals but I'm basically lazy when it comes to that and I'm not keen on planing in advance what I might want to eat because sometimes I change my mind.

Need to kick my *kitten* into gear.

Well, the truth is, while I do prepare my food ahead, I eat pretty much the same thing every day, so I don't have to give it much thought. The advantage to this is that I have gotten preparing those particular meals down to a science, I can make 4 or 5 meals in about 15 to 20 minutes.

Now you might think... No I don't want to eat the same thing all the time, and so did I, but I realized, I always ate the same thing all the time before too... it is just now, instead of cheeseburgers and pizza, I eat chicken, salmon, and turkey. In fact I have more variety in my diet now than when it was unhealthy. If you are interested I would be willing to list what my usual daily menu is.

that would be fantastic ... thank you

I get fed up of eating the same thing day in day out and could really use some fresh ideas :flowerforyou:
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Hi

I work in Law Enforcement and works shifts working 61hrs over 7days with 3 rest days following. I work a combination of shifts including earlies and lates (into nights)
    I think this is why i struggle with a balanced diet.

Does anyone else work shifts and how do you manage your diet and what sort of things do you eat please?
    I also work law enforcement. After 23 yrs of it I kind of got used to it. Understanding wife and scheduling workouts around shifts.
  • rmk256
    rmk256 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am an RN and work shift work so I do 2 X 12 hrs day and then 2 X 12 nights. How I cope is I tried to be consistent with have my 3 meals a day so when I work the night shift i bring something that I can eat in the early morning as a breakfast before I go to sleep for the day. I try not to binge eat or eat junk food which is hard sometime to do. I make sure I have lots of healthy snacks to eat. But you know it is a different ball game for us shift workers compared to regular M- F workers our body works differently. So good luck with this.

R