Take a look at my diary............Please tell me what exact

Options

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    If your boddybugg is telling you that your daily calorie requirements are 2000+, your MFP calorie goal of 1290 seems way too low,

A healthy loss is achieved by subtracting 15-20% from your TDEE.
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You are eating all processed food with no veggies. Try experimenting with making your own recipes and snack bars.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Have you considered eating food? (Not all the nasty meal replacement stuff... ?)
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I only went back a few days and what struck me was the lack of 'real' food. Yes, you are eating some veggies, blueberries, etc., but in very small amounts (or at least as a very small percentage of your total calories). The other thing was a trend of "replacement" foods. I don't suggest you never eat them, but they should be only for 'emergency use'. I believe you are better off getting protein from lean meats and fish.

Try substantially upping the amount of raw veggies you eat. When I was really pushing to drop weight, I was eating 300 calories or more each day of fresh, raw veggies. A typical day (I was doing 1200/day NET) was:

Greek Yogurt for breakfast with a PINT (not a spoonful) of berries- 250 cal
    Grilled Chicken on a Salad, chicken breast on a whole grain bun and fresh fruit, or similar meal around 500 cal for lunch
    Grilled Vegetables and Grilled Fish, Chicken or Pork for dinner at around 600 cal
    Between snacks at work and bedtime snack, I was eating enough celery, mushrooms, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, radishes and carrots to fill a medium mixing bowl.
    With an average of 45-60 minutes of cardio each day, I had enough calories left over for about 200 calories of roasted peanuts to round out my fat intake.

Reading up on the philosophies of Michael Pollen got me thinking about it and kept me focused.

A little taste....

Because most of what we’re consuming today is not food, and how we’re consuming it — in the car, in front of the TV, and increasingly alone — is not really eating. Instead of food, we’re consuming “edible foodlike substances” — no longer the products of nature but of food science. Many of them come packaged with health claims that should be our first clue they are anything but healthy. In the so-called Western diet, food has been replaced by nutrients, and common sense by confusion. The result is what Michael Pollan calls the American paradox: The more we worry about nutrition, the less healthy we seem to become.

But if real food — the sort of food our great grandmothers would recognize as food — stands in need of defense, from whom does it need defending? From the food industry on one side and nutritional science on the other. Both stand to gain much from widespread confusion about what to eat, a question that for most of human history people have been able to answer without expert help. Yet the professionalization of eating has failed to make Americans healthier. Thirty years of official nutritional advice has only made us sicker and fatter while ruining countless numbers of meals.

Pollan proposes a new (and very old) answer to the question of what we should eat that comes down to seven simple but liberating words:

(... and here's the important bit...)

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Other posters have covered the obvious issues. I would recommend that you stop tracking your sugar intake as you are already looking at carbs and see how much sodium you are getting with the foods you are eating. Too much sodium can cause fluid retention among other issues and that may be contributing to your lack of loss.
  • DestinationFitnessChick
    Options
    I feel like my biggest problem is snacks. Can someone suggest something besides cheese and nuts? I get really bored with this. I can't heat anything up and don't have a lot of time to eat it because I work with kids all day and have maybe five minutes to eat my snacks.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. You said you metabolize close to 2000 cals a day, but you are only eating 1300-1400- cals.
    You need to eat more. Math says you should be losing 1 lb every 3 days.Tthat may be a bit too much now that you weight less.
    I know you said you don't add fruits to your diet because of the sugar. But maybe try eating them. Small amounts will raise your cal amount up without feeling like you have to stuff yourself.
    Try strawberries, cantaloupe, pineapple, apples, grapes. These are natural foods to get cals from. good luck
  • reddi2roll
    Options
    I feel like my biggest problem is snacks. Can someone suggest something besides cheese and nuts? I get really bored with this. I can't heat anything up and don't have a lot of time to eat it because I work with kids all day and have maybe five minutes to eat my snacks.

I think you missed the point. For snacks you might want to change to fruit, apple with peanut butter for example, banana, yoghourt with fruit. Again I would also recommend you track your sodium instead of sugar.
  • reddi2roll
    Options
    I looked at your diary. You said you metabolize close to 2000 cals a day, but you are only eating 1300-1400- cals.
    You need to eat more. Math says you should be losing 1 lb every 3 days.Tthat may be a bit too much now that you weight less.
    I know you said you don't add fruits to your diet because of the sugar. But maybe try eating them. Small amounts will raise your cal amount up without feeling like you have to stuff yourself.
    Try strawberries, cantaloupe, pineapple, apples, grapes. These are natural foods to get cals from. good luck

Fruit sugar is usually combined with fiber which slows the bodies insulin spike and is not as problematic as regular sugar. Would add more fruit if you are looking for alternate snacks.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Raw vegetables. Carrots, celery, brocolli, cauiflower, grape tomatoes (technically a fruit), cucumbers, peppers (all colors), the list goes on and on. Browse the produce department and try new things.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    deleted.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If your boddybugg is telling you that your daily calorie requirements are 2000+, your MFP calorie goal of 1290 seems way too low,

A healthy loss is achieved by subtracting 15-20% from your TDEE.

I agree with this. I have seen a lot of info on these boards about TDEE and BMR and one opinion is that you can net below your BMR but only if you are eating to BMR level and above begin with and the deficit is through exercise. Perhaps you could search for these topics on the boards to get more info? It's certainly another angle to look at.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is when the scales are stuck!
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    Just wanted to clarify - one pound of fat = one pound of muscle. Muscle is more defined, leaner, so it looks smaller. That's why its a good idea to do your measurements.
  • DestinationFitnessChick
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions and ideas. I will add in more fruit and veggies. I wil be looking at some other people's diaries (thank you to those who were nice enough to send me friend requests and offer their diaries for viewing). I know my diary this week looked bad and I agree it was.........I dont eat like that all the time (except for the protein bars and protein powder). I am going to the grocery store and will be making a list of snack ideas before I go. I got in a habit of eating the protein bars when I went to LA weight loss a couple of years back....and I kept that habit up! I will also be upping my calories and trying that out. Most of my carbs come from whole grain products and veggies (I know it wasn't like that this past week, but most of the time it is, and most of the time my fiber intake is higher). I am going to work hard to get back on track and lose the last 10-15 pounds!!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    If your Bodybugg is telling you that you burn 2000-2400 calories, you need to eat "close to" that many. Your deficit is too high...1000 calories on days. You're only setting yourself up for failure. You need to set it to a 15-20% deficit tops, because you are very active. I would eat at least 1750-1800 calories per day to start, give it a few weeks, and see how you're doing.

Edited: as far as "clean eating" is concerned, yes overall it is better for you to eat more whole foods, but it isn't going to hinder weight loss...calories in vs calories out.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I only went back a few days and what struck me was the lack of 'real' food. Yes, you are eating some veggies, blueberries, etc., but in very small amounts (or at least as a very small percentage of your total calories). The other thing was a trend of "replacement" foods. I don't suggest you never eat them, but they should be only for 'emergency use'. I believe you are better off getting protein from lean meats and fish.

Try substantially upping the amount of raw veggies you eat. When I was really pushing to drop weight, I was eating 300 calories or more each day of fresh, raw veggies. A typical day (I was doing 1200/day NET) was:

Greek Yogurt for breakfast with a PINT (not a spoonful) of berries- 250 cal
    Grilled Chicken on a Salad, chicken breast on a whole grain bun and fresh fruit, or similar meal around 500 cal for lunch
    Grilled Vegetables and Grilled Fish, Chicken or Pork for dinner at around 600 cal
    Between snacks at work and bedtime snack, I was eating enough celery, mushrooms, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, radishes and carrots to fill a medium mixing bowl.
    With an average of 45-60 minutes of cardio each day, I had enough calories left over for about 200 calories of roasted peanuts to round out my fat intake.

Reading up on the philosophies of Michael Pollen got me thinking about it and kept me focused.

A little taste....

Because most of what we’re consuming today is not food, and how we’re consuming it — in the car, in front of the TV, and increasingly alone — is not really eating. Instead of food, we’re consuming “edible foodlike substances” — no longer the products of nature but of food science. Many of them come packaged with health claims that should be our first clue they are anything but healthy. In the so-called Western diet, food has been replaced by nutrients, and common sense by confusion. The result is what Michael Pollan calls the American paradox: The more we worry about nutrition, the less healthy we seem to become.

But if real food — the sort of food our great grandmothers would recognize as food — stands in need of defense, from whom does it need defending? From the food industry on one side and nutritional science on the other. Both stand to gain much from widespread confusion about what to eat, a question that for most of human history people have been able to answer without expert help. Yet the professionalization of eating has failed to make Americans healthier. Thirty years of official nutritional advice has only made us sicker and fatter while ruining countless numbers of meals.

Pollan proposes a new (and very old) answer to the question of what we should eat that comes down to seven simple but liberating words:

(... and here's the important bit...)

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Everyone should read Michael Pollan's book "In Defense of Food". Very thought provoking although I must say it conflicts with my current diet which is higher in protein. But I liked it just the same.
  • heidiwebs
    heidiwebs Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'd add more dairy such as low or non-fat yogurts and I agree with the people saying eat more cleanly. Replace those protein bars with an apple and natural pb or carrots and hummus.
  • tasha72
    tasha72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that suggests the processed food is a problem. I find if I have power bars or protein powder I can't drop any weight, even when I am well within my daily caloric intake. Veggies with hummus or peanut butter is a great snack. I understand the plateau too and it can be so frustrating when people tell you to eat more because you are not eating enough - it seems so counter intuitive when you want to lose weight but it is true.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    If your Bodybugg is telling you that you burn 2000-2400 calories, you need to eat "close to" that many. Your deficit is too high...1000 calories on days. You're only setting yourself up for failure. You need to set it to a 15-20% deficit tops, because you are very active. I would eat at least 1750-1800 calories per day to start, give it a few weeks, and see how you're doing.

Edited: as far as "clean eating" is concerned, yes overall it is better for you to eat more whole foods, but it isn't going to hinder weight loss...calories in vs calories out.

^ THIS!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that suggests the processed food is a problem. I find if I have power bars or protein powder I can't drop any weight, even when I am well within my daily caloric intake. Veggies with hummus or peanut butter is a great snack. I understand the plateau too and it can be so frustrating when people tell you to eat more because you are not eating enough - it seems so counter intuitive when you want to lose weight but it is true.

^ protein powder & bars do not hinder weight loss.. This is silly.

Edit to add: you don't have to replace protein bars in your diet. But, you can always find better bars that aren't filled with junk & sugar.