Running barefoot didn't work for me?

Options
I was reading several places that when we run with our shoes on we hit heel first which is bad. It said to try running without shoes and see how the body naturally runs with our toes touching first. So yesterday I tried running outside without shoes and today I ran on the treadmill and both times I still ran with my heels hitting first, except it banged so loudly on the treadmill it scared my wife. What am I dong wrong and how can I change this? Running with my toes first makes me feel like I'm prancing or doing ballet.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    It is a bad habit you have created that will eventually lead to injury. I watched other runners to learn the proper form. Once you "get it", you'll be much happier and feel a lot better.

Try re-training yourself. Your feet, legs, hips, and back will thank you.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I don't run barefoot. But I have heard others suggest starting running slowly in grass. I would be scared to do it on the treadmill, with an artificial pace and me still trying to figure out how to adjust my form. And the advice I have heard from the experts is to start with just 30 seconds at a time, and gradually build up. You need to give your muscles, tendons, etc. time to adapt.
  • MotherGoddess
    MotherGoddess Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Running barefoot can be awesome, but take it slowly and build up. Yes, it will feel like you are "prancing" at first, but notice how light on your feet you feel, like you can run without making any sound. It also uses muscles that you probably have not used in a very long time (if ever) and can lead to overuse injuries if you ditch your shoes entirely right at the begining. Start with 1-2 minutes of barefoot "prancing" and then put your shoes back on and finish your work out. You'll probably notice your calves and foot muscles pretty sore the next day. This means you're doing it right, but need to build endurance in these muscles. Gradually work up the length of your barefoot run. I love running barefoot, but I'd hate to see anyone hurt themselves by jumping into too much too soon.
  • trlrnrgrl
    trlrnrgrl Posts: 80
    Options
    Were you having any problems with using regular running shoes? If not, there's no reason to change to barefoot running unless you just want to. Having your heel strike first isn't a problem in and of itself. If heel striking is causing trouble, then you can address that.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't try barefoot running. I'm only suggesting that there's no reason to fix something if it ain't broke. Changing your form can cause problems (if you're not having any problems), even if your form isn't textbook. There are several well-known pros who have "bad" form, but it works for them, and when they tried to change it, they got injured.

But if you do want to try barefoot running, take the pps' suggestions and start out much slower.
  • MotherGoddess
    MotherGoddess Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    And if you run barefoot but do not change your foot fall, you will end up with concussive injuries, like shin splints or stress fractures. When landing heel first, you need all that cushion in your expensive running shoes to absorb the shock. When running barefoot, landing on the ball of your foot, your calf muscle absorbs the shock leading to it actually being better for your knees and joints. But it's a lot to ask of a calf muscle that's used to enjoying the ride, so again, take it easy and build up slowly. Also stretch your calves when your done.
  • iminaquagmire
    iminaquagmire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to transition to this, though not necessarily barefoot. I started with New Balance Minimus Trail shoes. They have less of a drop from heel to toe in the sole (4mm to be exact). I used those in my workout for a couple months and just started wearing their new zero drop road shoes a few days ago. Even going from 4mm in the heel to 0mm has caused more soreness in my shins, calves, and feet than I had anticipated by far. Transitioning to barefoot running has lots of benefits I won't go into here, but its not something you should really just jump into, especially if you don't have good running form.

For changing your form, I suggest checking out the section on the New Balance website and YouTube. There are lots of good videos on YouTube related to proper form. Another thing you'll want to do if possible is set up a camera behind you and video your feet as you run. Its the easiest way I found to see problems in your form. If you have access to a good running store, they can help evaluate you too, including finding shoes if you need them.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I was reading several places that when we run with our shoes on we hit heel first which is bad. It said to try running without shoes and see how the body naturally runs with our toes touching first. So yesterday I tried running outside without shoes and today I ran on the treadmill and both times I still ran with my heels hitting first, except it banged so loudly on the treadmill it scared my wife. What am I dong wrong and how can I change this? Running with my toes first makes me feel like I'm prancing or doing ballet.

Why the heck would you run barefoot?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Try Vibrams or similar shoes. I walk around barefoot as much as possible and run on grass (where dogs aren't allowed to use the bathroom) when I can. We weren't born with shoes and didn't need them for thousands of years chasing our food down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If you run injury free, then I wouldn't recommend a change, however

Running barefoot just gives you more feedback, you still have to conciously change your running style. That loud noise and discomfort is supposed to be encouraging you to change your foot strike
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    just imagining running barefoot is making my feet hurt
  • maruby95
    maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    To reduce heel strike, try shortening your stride. You may need to really think about it at first, but I think you'll find you will be more efficient and easier on your joints with a shorter stride.