I don't want to be fat anymore!!!

Options
I've been on here for months now but this is my first post on MFP, I'm trying to figure all of this out. I am 100lbs overweight and the heaviest I've ever been. I've been working out since I was 13 and have always been small and fit until a few years ago. After having kids, not eating right and being lazy, I have ballooned from 135lbs(high school) up to 234lbs. I workout 5 days a week by doing the elliptical for 50-60mins and burning a minimum of 500 calories. Normally its 600-700. I also lift weights, alternating legs and arms. I eat under 1300 calories and don't eat back my exercise calories...which I was told last night was wrong. Is there anything else I'm doing wrong? I just really want to lose weight. I'm tired of being fat and just would love to at least be back in ONEderland. I'm opening up my food diary so people can see if I'm messing up anywhere.

Oh, and yesterday was a cheat day, hence the DiGiornios.

Replies

• savageharris94
    Options
    For the cardio part, after 30 minutes your not burning fat anymore.. So I would change that, start working at a more intense level on the eliptical for 30 minutes
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat your exercise cals back.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and it's not too bad...
    I would recommend eating more raw veggies
    the fact that you're eating at least 1200 calories a day is good
    but I would recommend eating back some of your burned calories
    I usually eat about half of mine back
  • LeceMaria
    LeceMaria Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So should I still to the recommended 1550 that MFP gave me or continue with the 1200? What about when I workout? If that's the case, when I workout, I should be eating 1800-2000 calories that day. Is that accurate?
  • LeceMaria
    Options
    *bump*
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would recommend aiming for the 1550 that MFP gave you. Maybe don't bump it up all at once if you've been eating just 1200-1300 a day until now though. Start by adding 50-100 to your goal for a week and give your body time to adjust. Build up to it.

Just curious, if 1550 what MFP set your goal as, what made you decide to drop that to 1200?
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    So should I still to the recommended 1550 that MFP gave me or continue with the 1200? What about when I workout? If that's the case, when I workout, I should be eating 1800-2000 calories that day. Is that accurate?

These numbers are all estimates and may not be entirely accurate, but I think it's best to start with MFP's recommendations and then tweak in small increments as necessary. You don't want to train your body to "get by" on a minimal number of calories and then have no place to go when you hit a plateau. And then there's the sustainability issue. How long can you stick to 1200 calories a day? Long enough to lose 100 pounds and to tough it through however many plateaus it takes to get there? The rest of your life? People talk about how much hard work it takes to lose weight, but IMHO that's wrong headed. You need to think about how hard you'll be willing and able to work to keep the weight off for the rest of your life, and let that be your guide. If you don't want to bust your butt on a restricted, near starvation diet for the next 50 years, then don't do it now. It's not worth it to lose an extra pound or two a month.

1800 - 2000 calories, exercise calories included, is what I need to eat to maintain my weight. And I weigh only 123 pounds.
  • LeceMaria
    Options
    I would recommend aiming for the 1550 that MFP gave you. Maybe don't bump it up all at once if you've been eating just 1200-1300 a day until now though. Start by adding 50-100 to your goal for a week and give your body time to adjust. Build up to it.

Just curious, if 1550 what MFP set your goal as, what made you decide to drop that to 1200?

To be honest, I saw someone else eating 1200 and losing weight fast, so me, being desperate to lose quickly tried to do the same.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For the cardio part, after 30 minutes your not burning fat anymore.. So I would change that, start working at a more intense level on the eliptical for 30 minutes

You're kidding, right? Do you know what marathon runners and triathletes do - they train their bodies to burn fat through long low-intensity cardio sessions. If you don't re-fuel mid run (which endurance athletes do) you have about 3,000 calories of glycogen in your liver and muscles, even a lean athlete has about 35,000 calories of fat available.

Going at a higher intensity is good as you burn more calories overall but the whole idea of exercising in the fat burning zone to lose weight more quickly is a crock.
  • BeckyNaturoMommy
    BeckyNaturoMommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I hear you. This is the heaviest I've ever been, while NOT pregnant, and it's making me very depressed. :sad:
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    after doing studies they have found that after so much of a workout or take a marathon for instance after about the 18th mile it is not effective. read up on it!! :smile:
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    You are not fat! Your body contains some , but you worth much more than adipose cells
    :-)
  • runfrommygenes
    Options

So false...
    You actually have different "zones" of fat burning... but say, If I am on the elliptical, steady pace for 1 hour... in my zone 1 or 2 (heart rate of 130-158... had my Vo2 tested...) then I am burning SOME fat the whole time.... Doing intervals just helps burn MORE fat... and is hard to sustain for over 30-45 min...
  • runfrommygenes
    Options
    after doing studies they have found that after so much of a workout or take a marathon for instance after about the 18th mile it is not effective. read up on it!! :smile:

Yes, but 18 miles for an average person is 3+ hours in... NOT 30 min... Any workouts that are prolonged cause the results to deminish...
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    Your doing great !! I looked at your diary and if this is a normal day of eating I suggest thats you cut your carbs by 20% and track your sugar . Eat as much protein as possible but try to stay in the calories range that you decided if you go over calories make sure its with protein .And yes eat your caloires back if you can I try between 50 to 100 % . your doing great keep going it only gets easier . I agree I will never do this again I am done with being over weight and not being healthy . Its no fun being fat !!!
  • LeannSz
    LeannSz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I said that exact line the other day so I had to click on your post. Have you had blood work done?????? All my life I was big unable to lose weight. During pregnancy I was diagnosed with Diabetes Gestational. For some this goes away after child birth. I was told not to worry about it everything went back the to the usual. Well turns out the usual wasn't good either I was on the line for who knows how long. I finally got a good Doctor and got on a good medication change the way I eat I exercise 5 days a week only 30 mins. I have lost 65 lbs over the last year and a half this is the smallest I have been since probably middle school.
    I couldn't see what your meals were but if you want to add me I would be happy to share some of what I found successful. I know someone said how long can you go on 1200 cals but I barley get there and I am 5'9 I don't usually feel hungry. I'm not counting calories as much as Carbs. Good luck
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?

You should be drinking half your body weight in ounces per day.

The benefits of water are numerous, hydrating your body helps your muscles and organs to work quickly and efficiently. When your body is working well, it will boost your metabolic rate and help you to feel more energetic. Water can help your metabolism burn calories 3% faster. Metabolism plays a big role in losing weight so it’s important to give your body what it needs in order for it to work the way you want.

Also, remember...some people confuse hunger and thirst.... So when you get hungry drink a glass of water first.

What I have been trying to do is drink a glass of water 15mins before eating. It helps to subside hunger so I don't snack while I am cooking dinner, and it helps with portion control. It is also a good idea to have a glass of water with every meal. Try to take a sip of water between every few bites, which help you to feel full faster.
  • LeceMaria
    Options
    I have to do over 30mins of cardio. I feel like Im not doing anything if I dont at least do 45-60 minutes. Today is a normal day for me, minus the chick fil a. Normally for lunch, Id have a grilled chicken sandwich from home or a salad with chicken in it. Ive tried tracking my sugar before but as soon as I'd eat an apple and a banana, I would be over my allotment for the day. Tomorrow Im going to start eating back my exercise calories, well half of them. To be honest, It was hard doing 1200 and I was starving by bedtime. I lost 6lbs initially but thats it.
  • LeceMaria
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?

You should be drinking half your body weight in ounces per day.

The benefits of water are numerous, hydrating your body helps your muscles and organs to work quickly and efficiently. When your body is working well, it will boost your metabolic rate and help you to feel more energetic. Water can help your metabolism burn calories 3% faster. Metabolism plays a big role in losing weight so it’s important to give your body what it needs in order for it to work the way you want.

Also, remember...some people confuse hunger and thirst.... So when you get hungry drink a glass of water first.

What I have been trying to do is drink a glass of water 15mins before eating. It helps to subside hunger so I don't snack while I am cooking dinner, and it helps with portion control. It is also a good idea to have a glass of water with every meal. Try to take a sip of water between every few bites, which help you to feel full faster.

I drink 2-3 liters of water a day. I guess that's enough?
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    To be honest, I saw someone else eating 1200 and losing weight fast, so me, being desperate to lose quickly tried to do the same.

Try not to be desperate to lose the weight. Whether it comes off fast or slow, it's still going to come off. If you don't try and crash diet, you are much more likely to keep it off in the long run. There's no reason why you need to try and lose all the weight super fast. I know you are frustrated with your weight, but it will come off if you just keep at it.

Also, it looks like you had a slice of pizza and you were still under your calorie goal. To me, that is not cheat day. You figured out how to add something you enjoy into your diet and still remain within your range. That is learning a new lifestyle, not "cheating" on your diet.