i worked out 5 days this week and ate healthy, only to see a

Options
i worked out 5 days this week and ate healthy, only to see a 1 lb weight gain?! that's just so frustrating!

i don't know how that can happen! :(

Replies

• EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are eating more than you think or not working out as hard as you think. Either time for a routine change or in depth look at your calories.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal. Sometimes when we exercise hard, we get a TEMPORARY gain (or sometimes just a stall) from fluid retention as our muscles repair themselves. Ever feel stiff and achy from working out? That's inflammation, aka fluid retention.

Also, some foods are high in sodium and can cause fluid retention, too. Give it time.
  • sheels9
    sheels9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This happened to me this week too! It's hard to stay motivated... :(
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know that has happened to me in the past as well. But it does seem to be a temporary thing. If I stick with it, one or two days later I will see a drop of a few pounds.

But it is true that varying exercise can help get over the stall, if that seems to be what is happening. But I'd give it a few days or a week and see what happens.
  • vwlgirl
    vwlgirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    water, water, water.......drink more water. I think some have more struggle with this than others. My husband is one that gains. If he drinks +++ water-his weight stays down.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates, take averages
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you arent eating enough.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can see what you are eating.
  • garyobesedeleted
    garyobesedeleted Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself every month, stop obsessing
  • Riyam
    Riyam Posts: 25
    Options
    Make sure to incorporate protein & a piece of vegetable for each meal.

Also, as some said, this is normal.

I once worked out and had a calorie intake restriction without any immediate results and then a month later, pounds began to come off. There was a study done somewhere, I wish I had the source but it says that losing weight usually is not visible until a month or so.

So hang in there and be patient, every move you make and every bite you have matters.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Same damn thing happened to me this week. Makes me want to eat a HUGE burger & fries. Then an ice cream BOWL! I won't.....but I want to.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal. Sometimes when we exercise hard, we get a TEMPORARY gain (or sometimes just a stall) from fluid retention as our muscles repair themselves. Ever feel stiff and achy from working out? That's inflammation, aka fluid retention.

Also, some foods are high in sodium and can cause fluid retention, too. Give it time.

THIS!!! I worked out 60+ minutes everyday this weekend and saw a 3 lb gain yesterday. I WAS SO PISSED. But today, it all dropped off. Our bodies need time to recuperate from intense diet/exercise. Give it time!
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Oh believe me, i feel ur frustration.

I've been doing 30DS for the past 24days and what i've been eating, well lets just say theres no way i can eat any less. So no i havnt been having too many cals. I've been drinking my 8 glasses of water a day and havnt cheated one bit food wise. I step on the scales today only to have gained 2lbs. WTF!!!! Not only that, same happened last week apart from it was 0.5lbs i gained.

Everyones been telling me i look slimmer, i feel slimmer in myself and my trousers for work are actualy huge on me now, im constantly having to pull them up so im putting the gain down to muscle gain. There is no way possible that i could have an actual gain cause i deserved a loss tbh and its so bloody disheartening :indifferent: . I actually cried today when i got weighed. Sad i know but its took me so long to get back on track and that just felt like a slap in the face. We just gotta remember, it will come off eventualy.
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    Muscle gain can contain extra water it is possible not to loose pounds the first couple of weeks . Please dont tell her mucle weighs more then fat . Please dont !!!!
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Also the scale doesn't always tell you everything. Sometimes you lose inches but not lbs.
  • AntuanR
    AntuanR Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'd look at what you're eating first.. Then maybe switch up your workout
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring inches? inches matter! I always lose inches even when my weight stays or increases.
  • rica0111
    rica0111 Posts: 27
    Options
    hi all! thanks for your response! truly appreciate it.

i deliberately did not log my calories for the past two weeks and just went by on how i feel: eat when i'm hungry, and stop when i'm full. it worked for me about a month ago and lost 3 lbs. just going by how i feel.

my workouts have been consistent at about 4-5 times per week.. i run about 20 miles per week.

i do drink a lot of water, about a little more than 1/2 of my body weight (at least 80 oz. per day)

thanks again for your kind words and motivations! helps alot! :)
  • jgauthier88
    jgauthier88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is important to remember that there are many factors to this. Just because the number on the scale isn't what you want to see doesn't mean you aren't making progress. A few months ago I was working really hard and watching everything I ate but in the month I only dropped 4 lbs - however my personal trainer did an analysis and it turned out I had lost 10 lbs of fat and gained 6 lbs of muscle, that's why I only saw 4 lbs on the scale but I actually looked and felt much better. Maybe taking before and after pictures would help you see your progress or just take into account how your clothes are fitting. If you focus on the number on the scale you're focusing in the wrong place. Keep up the great work and focus on feeling great!
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have switched to weighing once every two weeks and will work my way up to weighing once every month. I hate to see the fluctuations.