Vegan Bodybuilding....Question and my personal journey...six

Options

Replies

• ScottJG82
    ScottJG82 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to lose fat, and for that you're going to need a calorie deficit. You could try a recomp, but that is a pretty slow process and you run the risk of spinning your wheels if everything isn't on point.

And where are the squats and deadlifts? They will prob do more for your core then a bunch of crunches

And like everyone else said you're going to need to be getting in adequate protein to maintain your muscle.

I'd look here for some tips on nutrition

http://veganbodybuilding.com/

Looking good in your photo by the way brother. I want a six pack like that. As you can see I'm not quite there, but on my way. For you what's been your goal on getting lean muscle in the ab area? Do you do a lot of ab exercises?

No, not much at all, from anywhere 5-10 min a week to none for direct ab work. Heavy squats and deadlifts are the way to go, with maybe a few min a week of direct ab work if you really feel you have to hit them some more. And all that is moot if you have a layer of fat covering them

Did you always have a six pack or was it something you worked on? Also, how long did you have to work out maintain and have such a six pack as the one you do?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's all about your diet, that's the real key to it. Lose enough fat to get them to show. Took maybe 3 months or so to get lean enough for them to show
  • ScottJG82
    Options
    Well it tells me to hit up 2,400 calories to maintain my weight of 169/170 but I usually end up not hitting it and being 500 to six hundred calories under, so it says in 5 weeks if every day was like today I'd be 166, etc. so I guess without even trying to lose weight, I will slowly and that will burn fat as I'd be working out.

t says for me to take in 80 for fat on my daily goal. As of today I'm 41 out of 80 for my fat.

I don't drink alcohol, don't eat dairy, don't smoke, don't eat cheese, fish, eggs, meat, poultry etc but I eat as close as I can to nature.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Well it tells me to hit up 2,400 calories to maintain my weight of 169/170 but I usually end up not hitting it and being 500 to six hundred calories under, so it says in 5 weeks if every day was like today I'd be 166, etc. so I guess without even trying to lose weight, I will slowly and that will burn fat as I'd be working out.

t says for me to take in 80 for fat on my daily goal. As of today I'm 41 out of 80 for my fat.

I don't drink alcohol, don't eat dairy, don't smoke, don't eat cheese, fish, eggs, meat, poultry etc but I eat as close as I can to nature.

Maybe you should turn on Discovery or Animal Planet sometime and start rethinking your perception of 'nature'. A diet rich and lean meat and vegetables is easily the best approach.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Maybe you should turn on Discovery or Animal Planet sometime and start rethinking your perception of 'nature'. A diet rich and lean meat and vegetables is easily the best approach.

I'm pretty sure it's his decision. Let's not turn this into another veganism/anti-veganism debate.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    From what I've been reading you can't spot reduce. So if you want your abs to show, you need to lower overall body fat. Also I know you said that you cant lift heavy because of your neck, but what about squats and stuff? Can you do them? It might help some.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    you need to lift weights, and get in protein, a bunch of it

unless you just want a six pack, then you can just lower your body fat.

you are going to have a hard time packing on muscle without eating the things that nearly all bodybuilders eat..............and losing weight without strength training, or getting enough protein will cost you some of the muscle that you already have........
  • ScottJG82
    Options

Sorry toho - meat, nor dairy not any of that disgusting **** will ever get into my body lol. I refuse to eat that and support the corporations, meat/dairy industry, factory farms. I just feel no need for it and I feel great. Just looking for positive advice about body building without eating that junk, you know?

Anyone know any good proteins that are not so fattening? I've been consuming here and there hummus, avocados, leafy greens, bananas, almonds, cashews, etc. Any other ideas?
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You need to eat tofu, tempeh, and all kinds of beans and lentils for protein. But in order to reach the highest levels of protein which you need for actual body building (regular people don't need this as we don't strive to build such muscles) you will need to supplement with a vegan protein powder, there are several derived from - hemp protein, brown rice protein, pea protein, and maybe others.

You can get workout advice here, but I highly recommend for nutrition information that you visit veganbodybuilding.com
  • FORIANN
    Options

Sorry toho - meat, nor dairy not any of that disgusting **** will ever get into my body lol. I refuse to eat that and support the corporations, meat/dairy industry, factory farms. I just feel no need for it and I feel great. Just looking for positive advice about body building without eating that junk, you know?

Anyone know any good proteins that are not so fattening? I've been consuming here and there hummus, avocados, leafy greens, bananas, almonds, cashews, etc. Any other ideas?

Sorry...I shouldn't have come across so harsh. To my way of thinking, that lifestyle is very unnatural. I personally couldn't do it, but wish you the best on your journey. I can tell you that if you're trying to lose weight...and you don't eat enough protein...that weight lose is also going to consists of a lot of muscle loss as well. For my first meal today I ate 2 chicken breasts and that was over 80gr of protein....the greens, green beans, spinach salad, milk etc that composed the rest of my meal came out to about about 19gr protein. I do take some supplements, but be careful there... If you get too much of your protein from supplements....say more than 35%....your body begins to lose it's ability to extract protein naturally from the foods you eat. This is bad...very bad. If you're capable of completing your mission on the path you've chosen, more power to you, but it's not going to be easy. #firstworldproblems.
  • albinogorilla
    Options

What don't you get? There are a ton of guys in jail who don't have "proper protein needs" and are huge... Guerrilla have a ton of muscle mass and don't eat any meat... As i said many times, It's the "stimulus" that causes growth. If you're injured or whatever, that that issue dealt with first...

how much time did you spend in prison to come to that conclusion?
  • FORIANN
    Options

What don't you get? There are a ton of guys in jail who don't have "proper protein needs" and are huge... Guerrilla have a ton of muscle mass and don't eat any meat... As i said many times, It's the "stimulus" that causes growth. If you're injured or whatever, that that issue dealt with first...

I came to that conclusion with my NASM CPT, and my current major in biochem, how did you not come to that conclusion?

I'm really confused.... So through the study of bio chem you've decisively come to the conclusion that..."there are some huge dudes in prison".
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't diet advice but - forget leg press. do squats.

For Protein: Soy from edamame. There are some pros and cons and a lot of broscience against it.
  • ahsats
    ahsats Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Quinoa. Throw it on salads, stuff vegetables with it, eat it plain. Super flexible.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Check out quinoa (lots of recipes online) for protein. It has a nutty flavor, but is very versatile in cooking.
  • FORIANN
    Options
    I do love quinoa, but consider there are trade offs for everything.

http://howdoyoucookquinoa.com/503/quinoa-protein-meat-eggs/
  • albinogorilla
    Options

I came to that conclusion with my NASM CPT, and my current major in biochem, how did you not come to that conclusion?

I've worked in a prison for ten years, and if you think inmates get big by not eating protein all your book learning aint' worth a hot turd...............
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried seitan? It's absolutely delicious, meat-like (I'm one of those vegans who loves the taste of meat) and has comparable nutrition information to meat. It makes a mean "steak" sandwich, let me tell ya! Also I'm not sure how you feel about "processed foods", but Boca burger makes a delicious vegan patty - 100 cals and 20g protein per patty.

Since you're looking to intake lots of protein, I'd also recommend a good vegan protein powder. A lot of people like Vega (created by vegan Ironman Brendan Brazier), but I think it's stupid expensive, so I get mine from trueprotein.com - 75% brown rice, 25% gemma pea. It's a little grittier than whey protein, but it is absolutely fantastic in blended shakes and oatmeal - I get the cake batter flavor!

Keep in mind that the biggest thing involved in bulking is calories - protein is important, but ultimately you need excess calories to feed your muscles if you want to create lean muscle mass.

I'm not really "bodybuilding", but I do a lot of strength training while joyfully following a vegan diet. :)
  • albinogorilla
    Options

I've worked in a prison for ten years, and if you think inmates get big by not eating protein all your book learning aint' worth a hot turd...............

So since you worked there, tell me what their diet consisted of... For some reason I don't see them buying chicken, beef, fish, at the counter.

still do work there...........a massive amount of tuna and mackeral which is what the store carries..........as well as whatever chicken and meat they can manage to steal out of the chow hall.............
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can dig tofu. I did scrambled tofu eggs last week, but have to not made it in a week.... I need to find a way to make it taste better lol you def need to spice it and salt it up....adding salsa to dip it in is always a plus :)

its my understanding that eggs do not fit into a vegan diet. so then this leads me to this question.. do you eat fish?