HRM - Polar FT4 Issues

Options
Hello,

I purchased a Polar FT4 about a month ago. After each workout, I rinse the strap off. I wash it after every 4th or 5th use. The way I wash it is putting it in a jar with a little dish soap and shaking it, emptying it, and repeating about 3 times. Then I fill the jar with water and keep shaking until the water runs clear.

After a few uses, the readings on the HRM are sometimes very low. For example, I can do the same exercise, same intensity one day and have a heart rate reading of say, 155. The next day, I'll have a reading of 130. Even after I physically push myself very hard, the reading will only jump slightly. When it does this, I'll wash it and the next day the reading will be back to "normal", for a day or 2 then it will get low again.

Is my heart rate really that low? It doesn't seem right to be that low even after working hard. I have noticed that when I am using the HRM, the machines around me will also pick up my heart rate and display it (about 2-3 machines around me will pick up the signal). Should I reposition the chest strap/transmitter?

I have also tried starting the HRM when I am away from a machine (I'll start it in the locker room, pause it, then resume when I am on the machine), but that doesn't seem to help either. Should I try rubbing salt water or saliva on the strap before using it? I'm not gonna lick :p but I can rub spit on it, I guess...to help the conductivity?

Edit: I do run the strap under water before putting it on.

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I always run my chest strap under the tap before I use it. I get the issue with the machines too, the one next to me will pick it up to! I don't worry too much but it sucks for whoever is next to me lol.

the rest I don't know.
  • Trinketona
    Trinketona Posts: 190
    Options
    Im also having issues with it. It wont detect my heart beat sometimes. it'll display 00 or it will jump to 204 where im only brisk walking 3.8 mph. Or sometimes it'll display to check the transmitter. Ugh it annoys me soooooo much. Dont know what to do either. Maybe I'll call the 1800 number for customer service. :grumble:
  • sdag
    sdag Posts: 29
    Options
    Yep, I run it under water before wearing it, too.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i8 have this, for the most part it is fine, but when it does i just dap a little more water on it and make sure the strap hasnt shifted too much and its normally fine
  • paulagabay
    Options
    I have the same issues and I run it under tap water too. Exercises that are supposed to burn 600 calories an hour only burn 300 for me when I push myself hard. I know my metabolism isn't that low. It is annoying.
  • sdag
    Options
    Have you found a solution? Does anyone have one? I did try putting more water during yesterday's wokout, actually, and it didn't help at all.
  • Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem with mine. Sometimes it takes me 4 or 5 tries to get a heart rate reading. I've had it now for about 7 months, and never had a problem until recently. I called Polar, and they told me to put it in the washing machine. He said it was important to keep the strap clean. I run the little "conductor" parts of the strap under water each time. Today I didn't get a reading, so I took it off, and ran it under more water, until it was really soaked. I just ordered (on Amazon) some Electrode Gel/cream to use instead of water. I've heard that really does the trick. I also ordered a new strap (14.00) just in case. Very frustrating, since I feel that my HRM is the absolute BEST tool that I have on my weight loss journey. It really helps push me, and keep accurate track of what I'm burning.
  • sdag
    Options
    I'm having the same problem with mine. Sometimes it takes me 4 or 5 tries to get a heart rate reading. I've had it now for about 7 months, and never had a problem until recently. I called Polar, and they told me to put it in the washing machine. He said it was important to keep the strap clean. I run the little "conductor" parts of the strap under water each time. Today I didn't get a reading, so I took it off, and ran it under more water, until it was really soaked. I just ordered (on Amazon) some Electrode Gel/cream to use instead of water. I've heard that really does the trick. I also ordered a new strap (14.00) just in case. Very frustrating, since I feel that my HRM is the absolute BEST tool that I have on my weight loss journey. It really helps push me, and keep accurate track of what I'm burning.

It is super frustrating, I agree! I am scared to wash it in the washing machine because I don't have a pouch for it and am not sure where to get one. Maybe I will get some of that gel and a new strap, too.
  • sdag
    Options
    Anyone else with advice or knowledge as to why this is happening?
  • anner53108
    anner53108 Posts: 103
    Options
    I've had mine for about a year with no problems. Here's what I do:
    ALWAYS run the conductor pads under the tap before using (I use hot water so it's not so chilly on my skin in the a.m.) :smile:
    RINSE WELL after every workout, and allow to air dry
    WASH in washing machine (no special bag needed) in hot water after every five uses, and allow to air dry.

^ That is all according to the instructions that came with mine.

The only issue I've ever had is once in a blue moon, I won't get a reading when I first put it on. Making the conductor pads more wet or tightening the strap does the trick (the strap may need to be tightened periodically if you are losing weight and/or after you wash it).

Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem with mine until I put it in the washing machine I've had no problems since, so im just assuming when i was washing it under the tap after each use it wasn't doing doing the job.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    So how does the chest strap on these work? It is annoying? Tight? Where does it go around on women?
  • frumpytofit
    Options
    bump
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I put my on right under by breasts, and position the transmitter right in the middle of them. I've never had an issue with mine except for two times: once in a very chlorinated pool, and it turns out I didn't have it tight enough. Recently, it stopped transmitting my HR in the middle of Zumba. I had to stop it and start it over again....perhaps it quit because I was bouncing around so much, who knows? I washed it with some dish soap and it worked perfectly fine today.
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I havent had this prob with mine, but just thinking you could physically count your heart rate/pulse to compare to see if your heart rate is low or if it is definitely reading wrong
  • sdag
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! I will try to put in the washing machine on a low spin cycle, I just don't want to damage it.
  • Trinketona
    Trinketona Posts: 190
    Options
    Thanks everyone:wink:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    if none of the other suggestions work, you may want to try changing the battery - but usually a good washing does the trick.
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bump