Protein and Carbs

Options
I've just started trying to use this site "religiously"....it seems like everyday I am over on protein grams and under on carb grams. I've been doing Nutrisystem for the past year a half and initially lost almost 60 pounds. I had knee surgery in November which obviously limited my ability to exercise. Also, my husband had to prepare all my meals for quite a while and his idea of portion control is not the same as mine. Needless to say I have gained about 10 pounds that I'd like to lose. I am back at the gym, but not able to work out as intensely as before my surgery. I am also trying to use more grocery store bought foods and less NS foods. Please take a look at my dairy...I know it's not "complete", but it's a pretty clear indication of what I do. The exercise entries may not be as complete as they should be, but I usually try to work out 5-6 days a week with some cardio every day (my surgeon wants me on the bike as often as possible) and some form of weight training 4 days a week.
Should I be adjusting my protein vs. carb intake (BTW, NS now really pushes upping protein now to remain "full).
Thanks for the help!
Lois

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I would say don't worry if your carbs are under. Protein will keep you full for longer. I only looked at 2 entries, but your percentages look alright! Many people eat up to a gram of protein per pound of body weight and they are fine.
  • Lmkurtz725
    Options
    Thanks...I also wanted to mention that I don't always log my vegetables. I eat huge salads almost every day (and measure carefully my fat free dressing..I also make sure the dressing is under 40 calories or so) and sautee fresh vegetables to eat with dinner almost every night.
    I'd love some other folks to look at this too! :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If you don't log everything you eat there's no point in worrying about what your macro numbers are because it will all be off anyway.
  • enginerd81
    Options
    Look up macro nutrient profiles and change mfp to fit the one you want. I'm currently shooting for 40/30/30. That is 40% from carbs and 30% from protein.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Look up macro nutrient profiles and change mfp to fit the one you want. I'm currently shooting for 40/30/30. That is 40% from carbs and 30% from protein.

That's the Zone diet, right?
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    I am on 30% carbs, 40% prot and 30% fats.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    my macros are set at 50% fat, 25% protein and 25% carbs. I don't always eat three meals a day, though because this makes me full for a long time. Your body needs fat, don't forget to eat some :)
  • enginerd81
    Options

That's the Zone diet, right?

I think so - I only chose it because it was easiest to hit. A lot body building sites seem to suggest 40/40/20. And that was too much of a change to my diet all at once. Subbing a protein shake for cereal in the morning and a protein afternoon snack got me there.

And the key thing is it seems to be working.
  • Lmkurtz725
    Options
    The ONLY items I don't always log are vegetables. When I eat salads at lunch I log those...at night I often just chop up fresh vegetables, saute and add to my food. I don't take the time to measure or weigh them since they are so low in calorie. Since I'm new to this site, can you tell me where I can change my macro's?

Nevermind...I found where to do this.