How do I know if the weight I am gaining is muscle weight or

Options
Hi, I Started MFP about 2 weeks ago. I started out losing a pound about every 3 or 4 days for a total of 5 pounds lost. I haven't lost any weight now for about a week and I have even gained about a pound and a half. My goal is 1200 calories/day. I average about 1400/day probably after eating back workout calories. I've been working out a LOT compared to what I was doing before, but I'm not sure if muscle would have built fast enough to cause me to gain weight already?

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Since we can't see your diary, it's really hard to tell you anything specific.

If you are working out a lot, you need to be eating more.

Unless you are very short & very inactive, 1200 is probably too little for you.

If you're approaching that time of the month, you likely will put on a bit of weight.

Unless you are lifting heavily, I doubt that you are putting on muscles. But honestly, a tiny weight gain could be absolutely anything from too much sodium, not enough bowel movements, etc.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle on 1400 calories a day, so not it's not muscle.
  • LoveAngie23
    Options
    Ok, thanks. I may raise my calories. I am 5'10" so I'm not little. I don't eat the healthiest so I'm kind of ashamed to make my diary public :blushing: but I don't think the things I eat are completely awful. Thank you guys for the info!
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    if you're still eating a lot of carbs it could be your body holding on to water with them. Tecnically that is 'Muscle weight', but its not muscle. try to drink more water.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    You can't gain much muscle if any on a large calorie deficit. Find out what your TDEE is and eat closer to that if you want to build muscle.

Muscles need protein and calories to grow.